• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can anyone share their experience at the Courtyard Marriott at DD?

DVCajun

<font color=red>If you believe in Magic you belong
We're taking advantage of the special rates and are going in December of this year. Is the hotel within easy walking distance of the bus stops at DD? That's my biggest concern. DH thought it would be cool to stay at DD, but I just don't know how close the hotel actually is.

Our baby will be 9 months old in December and I requested a crib in the room. Has anyone else stayed there with an infant? How did you handle bottles, etc.?

Any info would be appreciated. :cool:

We stayed there for 1 night 2 weeks ago because of the $29 rate. It was a great hotel for that price. The room was a good size with plenty of room for a crib. The staff at the hotel was extremely friendly and accomodating. I don't beleive you could walk to DD from this hotel, especially with an infant. They do have shuttle transportation available but we never use it. Even if you just took the shuttle to DD you can then use any of the Disney transportation. IMHO if I were traveling with an infant I would rent a car . Waiting for the buses with a tired or hungry baby could be very stressful. We thought that the Courtyard was great and would stay there again, especially for such a great price. Have a wonderful vacation.

Hi! I'm also staying there in Nov with my DH and DS (age 3). I know some people who saty there all the time and they like it (they can also afford mcuh better, so it must be okay). They also have gone with a baby (no complaints). I have to agree that I would rent a car. You are saving quite a bit on a room, maybe you can get a good deal on a car as well. Depending on buses -especially lugging a stroller and baby-is going to get old fast! I know that there is a car rental desk at the hotel. I would call and inquire (it doesn't hurt to ask). Also ask them about crib. I know that in each of the WDW parks, there is a baby center with changing tables , microwaves , places to sit and nurse.

We took a trip with our baby when he was about 10 months old (it was just for three days) and here are my recommendations:

Food- just bring what you would normally feed the baby (jars) and spoons. You will need to bring a bottle brush and a small bottle of dish det. You can bring bottled water and individual size of powdered formula/or make your own in plastic baggies. Get the baby used to drinking his bottle at room temp now , so you won't have to deal with the heating up.
When you go out for the day, bring bottles with water premeasured and your little baggies.
We also took individual size juices and extra nipples that fit right on the juice bottle.

Pack lots of clothes, baby car seat (if you rent a car), package of pampers, and some toys (new toys worked for us). Have a great time-you will love beign right by DD. Very convenient for meals and shopping. Bring lots of warm clothes and hats (it can get very cold and the temp changes dramatically from morning to night).

Bring baby medications just in case!

We stayed at the Marriott in DD in Sept with the 20.01 rate. We thought the hotel was clean, and well kept, and the staff was friendly. We got a nice room in the tower on the 6th floor facing DD. I thought the transportation lacked compared to the Disney resorts. The buses ran often enough. I thought the stops were far from the entrances of the park. We had my DH's 78 yo grandma and she had a tough time walking the distance until we got to the park to get her a WC. I'm sorry I can't help with the infant question. I believe the cribs they use are the pack n play type. And take lots of supplies, they are EXPENSIVE if you run out. When DS was in diapers, I always lined the suitcase with them so I wouldn't run out. I'm sure you could request a refrigerator for food and formula. I would definetly stay there again especially for that great rate!

I have travelled with an infant (5 and 6 months) several times and it was great. I am sure you can get a crib.

I was breastfeeding and that was really wonderful - the baby stations are great and you can nurse in many of the shows.

I do not know if you always bottle feed or not - but if your baby also nurses - do not be afraid to do it at the parks. They are very supportive there.

I'm sorry -- I just returned from a business trip to a conference held at WDW. I spent one night at the Courtyard and then changed next door to the Hilton.

With the slowdown in travel, the Courtyard has closed the full-service restaraunt, the pool-side lounge and the Pizza Hut. The breakfasts are served out of a "deli" (use the term loosely) in the lobby. Our room had a dirty shower, closet door that fell off the rail and I was awoken to a smell of cleaning solvent at 4:00 AM.

I expect a certain standard when I see "Marriott Courtyard" and this was the worst I had seen. Since I was there for business travel during a conference I was spending $119 per night and I was able to get a walk-up rate of $109 at the Hilton next door.

As far as convenience, I would get a car -- while DD is within walking distance, if you are going all the way to the West Side it is a good hike. Buses run regularly, but not frequently. The people I traveled with used buses for DD but then rented a car for wider ranging travel.

-- JimV

Jim, We are staying there for three nights ($25 rate) in Nov. We have our own car, so not worried about the food so much. Did they have room service? Did you stay in the tower? Maybe your room was one taht still had not been refurbished. Did they try to give you any explanation about the conditions of the room???

I'm not big on the West Side, actually, and if I wanted to go over there I would probably just take a boat or the bus. I think we'll try this without a car. DH may have a car for the first day because he's going down there for a conference too. But we always stay on site and never use a car while we're there. To us that's part of the magic-- not worrying about parking spots and traffic. Live and learn-- we may regret it, but we won't know until we try!! It's just a short weekend trip, regardless.

My DH and I stayed here in Sept. We had a king room, there was a sofa bed and I thought the room was very nice. We walked to DD several times, and if you have a stroller for the baby I don't think it would be a problem. We both thought the bus service was excellent, we had a car and only used it to go to Universal. We used the Disney bus to go from AK to the MK and the bus was not as nice as the DD hotels busses. The hotel busses were like Greyhounds, high backed cloth seats, while the Disney bus had hard plastic seats and wasn't very clean. The DD hotels busses do park a little further from the park entrance but it wasn't that far, except at Epcot, which was maybe a 5 min. walk from the park entrance. I would stay here again.

Ok, one last question: Did the hotel have a free shuttle from the airport or did you have to use Mears?

DVCajun -
I'm curious. You said you are going for a "weekend trip"... I understood that the special rates were for weeknights only, and people are getting quoted close to 100 dollars per night for weekends! Were you able to get the 29 or 35 dollar rate for the weekend?
I will be there Nov.28th. I would be thrilled if someone says they have a shuttle from the airport! Anyone??

Hi Jody-- as it turns out, we'll be there for two weekend nights ($89) and two week nights ($35) (Fri through Sun). DH's company will be paying for a couple of the nights. Not a bad deal-- we'll just be paying for half of it.

(Sorry -- it has been a few weeks since I last checked the board)

jodyb -- sorry -- no hotel shuttle. You have to use Mears or one of the others.

susy -- When I asked about the room and complained about it, I was asked what they could do to make it better. I had four coworkers staying at the hotel as well, none of their rooms were very nice. My wing/floor had supposedly been "recently redone". The room service menu had been removed from my hotel services book, leaving only breakfast.

They had me sign a form before checking in stating that there would be a $50 penalty for early check-out. That extortion forced my coworkers to stay since they did not want to have to company pay for the move. I am a Marriott Elite member (since I travel a lot on business) and they waived my fee after a hassle.

Word to the wise -- never sign a form penalizing you for leaving early BEFORE you see the room.

But on the good side, after four visits to WDW in five years (three in the past year) I FINALLY get to ride Test Track before it breaks down.

-- Jim (sorry to be the complainer)

Jim, your experience really was terrible. I am so disillusioned with Marriott - here I'd thought it was one of those chains that you could expect at least "very nice" would be just about guaranteed... just goes to show you can't count on anything... what a shame.
Well, I'll only be there for the first night out of an 11 night stay, so I guess I won't suffer much, whatever the state of the room might be. After being awake 36 hours on the journey from Israel, as long as there is a shower and a bed of some kind, I'll have all I need! And for 29 dollars.... not a problem as long as there are no rats or bugs!!! (Gee, didn't realize I was so easy to please! Actually that's only because the next day I move to ASMu and 4 days after that to Yacht Club Concierge! So Marriott can "go fish" as my daughter says!!! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter