can anyone write/transpose music?

zoemurr

DIS Veteran
I would like to sing a song for a local Disney cabaret. I can find the music online, but they are all missing the intro that is used in the movie, and they are in a different key then what I would like.

Is there someone that can listen to the song and write out the short intro? I would also like them to hear the version I have been using and tell me what key that is in. I don't need the entire piece transposed.

Thanks!

Thank you for the advise. I would pay for the music, I was just hoping to add a 2-4 bar intro and change the key. This isn't legal?

I don't think I can help but I'm curious--which song is it? Good luck finding a solution. One more thought: Isn't there software that can transpose a key signature?

Thank you for the advise. I would pay for the music, I was just hoping to add a 2-4 bar intro and change the key. This isn't legal?

Transposing/changing the key of music is legal. :rolleyes: Your aren't trying to present the music as your own which is plagiarizing or copyright infringement.

Find any local piano teacher or piano accompanist and they will be able to write out a simple intro, using simple chords arppegiated & probably using a phrase later in the song, and change the key for you. (It's what a lot of the "Play Music Without Learning Traditional Piano" courses is about. They teach how to play the melody (top staff of music, and fill in the accompaniment with basic chords they've learned from the course, and already used in the song. They aren't trying to re-invent the wheel - or in this case, the actual song. So no plagiarism or copyright infringement involved.) What you are asking IS something that someone should be paid for.

Most great piano accompanists can usually change the key as they play it, without it even written down. They are used to having to change the keys for singers AND if they learned piano the traditional way, not the way I said above, they've had a teacher drill them on changing keys, transposing and playing it without it being written down. For instance, the music is written in the key of C, they should be able to change it to the key of F easily and play it at the same time. They should also be able to write it out for you so someone can just play it. (Search for a piano accompanist for singers on the bulletin boards in the music departments at your local college.)

Last edited:
Find any local piano teacher and they will be able to write out a simple intro, using simple chords arppegiated & probably using a phrase later in the song, and change the key for you. (It's what a lot of the "Play Music Without Learning Traditional Piano" courses is about. They teach how to play the melody (top staff of music, and fill in the accompaniment with basic chords they've learned from the course, and already used in the song. They aren't trying to re-invent the wheel - or in this case, the actual song. So no plagiarism or copyright infringement involved.) What you are asking IS something that someone should be paid for.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I didn't think it was an issue or I wouldn't have asked. I would gladly discuss a fair payment with someone qualified. I have no idea how difficult this is (or isn't) and was interested in discussing it, not getting something for free. I apologize if it came off that way. I appreciate your input. I don't know anyone to ask locally which is why I asked here, because I have gotten a lot of useful information in the past. I will research a bit more.

I appreciate your input. I don't know anyone to ask locally which is why I asked here, because I have gotten a lot of useful information in the past. I will research a bit more.

I added more to most post. I hadn't realized you had already responded.

Search for a piano accompanists for singers on the bulletin boards in the music department & theatre department at your local college. Maybe check local Craigslist listings or local Pennysaver listings. A local piano professor at the local college may also be able to recommend a student. Slip a note under their office door, or visit one at the tail end of their class. Most colleges have course catalogs online nowadays. So you may be able to still find the current summer catalog online and find when a piano course is in session.

Also, visiting the Admissions office, someone there may be able to tell you when & where the course is, or the name of the teacher & the office, where you can drop off a note, or where their interoffice mailbox is. (Write up a couple notes, one for their mailbox, and one to slip under their door, if you can find their office room number.)

Another suggestion is to write up a flyer of your own to tack up on the local music bulletin board at the college. Most of them have a piano rehearsal room for the students. That's where they'd see your flyer and where you might see flyers by someone advertizing for an accompanist.

It isn't that difficult for a skilled musician to transpose the music, depending on what key it already is in and what you want to transpose it to. If you want it transposed to a key that is not often sung in, or from a major key to a minor key, that may take more work, but it's not that much more difficult, nor is impossible.

A couple more tips: You haven't told us what the song is, but I'm betting it is a pop song. If so, you may want to find a pianist who has heard the song before or is into pop music or whatever is the genre of the song. Don't find a pianist who only plays classical piano. Ironically, while they actually may be the best at transposing the music, if it's not their genre, or they don't know the song, they may actually make mistakes when transposing & writing the music out and not realize it.

Classical music, (Bach, Beethoven, etc.,) was written with "correct" music theory. While Billy Joel & Elton John can play the piano almost as brilliantly as a classical pianist, their songs probably deviate from the standard "correct" music theory to whatever sounds good and modern or even jazzy. A classical pianist may think the B flat is a musical "typo" or accidentally not put in the flat sign when it should be there, when it is right for the song, even if it isn't musically "correct."

Also, after the music is written out, you really need to have the transposer or someone play it out, to make sure it sounds right to you.

1. If you are in the US, Cubbiecakes is technically right. Transposing the song to another key is NOT a copyright infringement (and yes, an accomplished accompanist should be able to do that on sight, although it's usually considered rude to show up for something like an open cabaret and hand an unknown accompanist who has limited rehearsal time with you the music in the wrong key without prior notice) but transcribing the introduction section and putting it into written notation is (again *technically*) not fair use according to copyright. Playing it by ear like Imzadi suggests would be much less of a violation (if any - it's a bit of a legal grey area at the moment.) But I assume the cabaret is providing an accompanist for the entire evening? Again, it's not really reasonable to show up to work with an unknown accompanist and expect them to play a chunk of your piece by ear. If you get to bring your own accompanist, that would be a different story.

1.5 https://nafme.org/my-classroom/copyright/copyright-arranging-adapting-transcribing/ This is from the music teacher's national organization. You'll notice we are being told as a profession that transcribing (listening to a piece and writing down exactly what is happening musically) is something that needs permission from the copyright holder.

2. On the one hand, copyright lawyers aren't generally hanging out at local gigs looking to sue people. On the other hand, Disney is one of the most zealous defenders of their copyrights there is. It's possible that if the whole thing is a Disney cabaret, the people in charge may be requiring you to provide legal sheet music. Just like when your kids go to solo festivals in various states, they're not allowed to bring in (illegal) copies of their music, many talent shows do the same thing to CYA as far as copyright.

3. Writing off the intro part temporarily, LuvBunnies is totally right. Musicnotes.com is a fantastic place to purchase transposable sheet music online. Not all of their pieces are transposable, but a LOT are.

4. If you are willing to share the name of the piece, I would guess there are a number of us musicians here who might be able to get our hands on a (legal) version with the introduction. We have ways. :)

5. If musicnotes doesn't pan out, Imzadi has some great suggestions on finding someone capable of transcribing your intro and transposing your piece, but you may find your local college pretty well cleared out of musicians this time of year.

6. You can PM me if you want. I may be able to help you out. 20+ years directing bands, choirs, musical theater and teaching voice lessons. :) What you need may be on my shelf!

1. If you are in the US, Cubbiecakes is technically right. Transposing the song to another key is NOT a copyright infringement (and yes, an accomplished accompanist should be able to do that on sight, although it's usually considered rude to show up for something like an open cabaret and hand an unknown accompanist who has limited rehearsal time with you the music in the wrong key without prior notice) but transcribing the introduction section and putting it into written notation is (again *technically*) not fair use according to copyright. Playing it by ear like Imzadi suggests would be much less of a violation (if any - it's a bit of a legal grey area at the moment.) But I assume the cabaret is providing an accompanist for the entire evening? Again, it's not really reasonable to show up to work with an unknown accompanist and expect them to play a chunk of your piece by ear. If you get to bring your own accompanist, that would be a different story.

1.5 https://nafme.org/my-classroom/copyright/copyright-arranging-adapting-transcribing/ This is from the music teacher's national organization. You'll notice we are being told as a profession that transcribing (listening to a piece and writing down exactly what is happening musically) is something that needs permission from the copyright holder.

2. On the one hand, copyright lawyers aren't generally hanging out at local gigs looking to sue people. On the other hand, Disney is one of the most zealous defenders of their copyrights there is. It's possible that if the whole thing is a Disney cabaret, the people in charge may be requiring you to provide legal sheet music. Just like when your kids go to solo festivals in various states, they're not allowed to bring in (illegal) copies of their music, many talent shows do the same thing to CYA as far as copyright.

3. Writing off the intro part temporarily, LuvBunnies is totally right. Musicnotes.com is a fantastic place to purchase transposable sheet music online. Not all of their pieces are transposable, but a LOT are.

4. If you are willing to share the name of the piece, I would guess there are a number of us musicians here who might be able to get our hands on a (legal) version with the introduction. We have ways. :)

5. If musicnotes doesn't pan out, Imzadi has some great suggestions on finding someone capable of transcribing your intro and transposing your piece, but you may find your local college pretty well cleared out of musicians this time of year.

6. You can PM me if you want. I may be able to help you out. 20+ years directing bands, choirs, musical theater and teaching voice lessons. :) What you need may be on my shelf!

I sent you a message. Thanks for your help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter