Can Baby Swap be used for kids with sensory issues

KEVD

DIS Veteran
I have a 6 y/o with ASD. There are certain attractions that he will just not be able to tolerate due to sensory issues.

Does anyone know if you can use baby swap when you have a child with sensory issues related to ASD? If so, does this require a GAC? Or is it enough just to explain the situation to the CM at the attraction?

I have a 6 y/o with ASD. There are certain attractions that he will just not be able to tolerate due to sensory issues.

Does anyone know if you can use baby swap when you have a child with sensory issues related to ASD? If so, does this require a GAC? Or is it enough just to explain the situation to the CM at the attraction?

A GAC is for the person with needs to experience the attraction, so I don't know that would work. What you can do (what we have done) is get two fastpasses. One person rides while the other waits with the child. Then the adult who waited can use the other FP to ride, while the first person waits with the child.

Depending on ride, time of day, crowds, CMs, position of the moon LOL, you can also talk to a CM, they may be able to offer assistance. Of course we have also been told to use FP LOL.

It is not Baby or Child Swap; it is Rider Swap. This can be used for any non-rider who requires someone to take care of them while someone else is on the ride.

I thought anyone could use child swap...no matter what the issue...???
Technically, it is called Rider Swap, not Baby Swap.
And, yes, I have heard of it used for someone older who needs to be supervised and can't wait alone.

And livndisney is correct that the GAC is for the person with a disability who will be riding. We have used Fastpasss like she explained - if you get one for the person who won't be riding, then someone else in the party can use that Fastpass to ride a second time with the person who waited.
Its nice because there is no explaining necessary; you are just using Fastpasses.

When we tried it (at Space Mountain - if that matters) we were told we needed a GAC (which we realized we needed for other reasons, so got anyway). The CM explained that the swap was for those who couldn't get in the line (designed for those too short to be allowed in the line). Since the person with us was tall enough to go in the line and no physical reason why she couldn't, the "solution" to not leaving her alone was for her to join the line and use the chicken exit. Of course, given her sensory issues this was not really a solution at all.

That was the only time I was with them when they tried to swap (I only spent the one day with them), so I'm not sure if they had more success at other rides and/or once they had a GAC.

Livdisney makes a good point that a GAC shouldn't have been helpful (since the person with the GAC was not planning on riding), but I'm just sharing our experience. As we all know, every CM and situation can have a different result.

Thanks. So it sounds like technically my son would not meet the criteria for rider swap on any ride that he's tall enough for and a GAC would not be a workaround. We'd prefer not to do the "chicken exit" but we might give that a shot (and might actually be necessary on some rides). Getting four FP's should work for us in a majority of situations.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter