Can Canadians mail WDW stuff back home?

madge62

Mouseketeer
I see on other boards, etc. that a lot of US citizens mail the merchandise they've bought at WDW home and/or couriered it. Can we do that? Has anyone on this board done it? Or is there a problem with customs, etc., etc.
Just wanted to get around having to pack a lot of souvenirs back with us on the plane. Thanks for any help!

WDW offered to ship merchandise for us but the shipping cost ended up being as much or more than the cost of the item. It wasn't worth it for us.

You can mail back anything you purchase in the states. Of course, it depends how much you are sending value wise and content wise. The least expensive way to send stuff home is through U.S. post which means packing it up yourself and finding a post office to send it. You also have to make sure you fill out a special customs form that will be attatched to your package with an itemized list of the contents and value. The best way to ensure it reaches your home is to put your home address as both the return address and mailing address. It will only take about 10 days to get to your home and it's not that expensive, just make sure to insure it. Also, if you decide to send things seperately, you will have to say that on your customs declaration form when returning to Canada and make sure the value of what you sent is included as part of your declaration. This is the only hang up and I guess it depends where you will clear customs, (Toronto and Vancouver are the worst!!!) but if you are sending items seperately, prepare to be questioned and possibly searched. I lived in the states for a year and when I moved home I shipped several boxes of my personal belongings home in the mail. When customs questioned me about parcels I had sent seperately they freaked out and almost searched me even though it was just my personal stuff. They let me go when I told them all my stuff had already arrived home so it was no big deal then. Also, if you send stuff seperately, it may set you up for paying duty.

You can send a "gift" home without having to pay duty on it as long as it's less than $60 CDN in value.

Here's an excerpt from CDN Customs and a link with more info about it.

Gifts
While you are abroad, you can send gifts free of duties to friends in Canada under certain conditions. To qualify, each gift has to be worth CAN$60 or less and cannot be an alcoholic beverage, a tobacco product, or advertising matter. If the gift is worth more than CAN$60, the recipient will have to pay regular duties on the excess amount.

It is always a good idea to include a gift card to avoid any misunderstanding. While gifts you send from abroad do not count as part of your personal exemption, gifts you bring back do.

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4044/rc4044-e.html#P284_19912

Shipping can be very expensive at Disney (as others have stated) You also run the high risk of paying duty on items over $20 US (if not a gift) Customs frowns upon falsely marking items as gifts.

You would be better off packaging and shipping your items via USPS on your own if you must ship. It will be less expensive (as others have stated) There is a USPS post office just up the road from the Crossroads Of Lake Buena Vista Shopping Center.

If you use a courier such as UPS sometimes you get stuck with brokers fees which can be really high. You would be better off packaging and shipping your items via USPS on your own if you must ship. If you aren't home and they deliver at least USPS items will be left at your local Post Office. Make sure you get shipping with a tracking # & insurance to trace in case of loss. If you ship home and duty is owed on your package be aware the Post Office also charges $5.00 to process the duty :rolleyes:

I bring an extra suitcase for bulky items. I just make sure I have all the receipts for customs clearance when I go home.

If you have friends or family living in the US, you can always have the items shipped to them, and then have them forward them on to you as gifts.

We do this when we go to WDW. My sister lives in California and regularly sends gifts to our parents. She just gets a bigger box and ships our souvenirs home to us. I only bring home things I think I need immediately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter