Can DCA handle the pressure?

I have spent a LOT of time at DCA over the past several years - as weekly+ visitors, we actually spend more time in that park than DL. I enjoy many things about DCA, and often advocate parkhoppers so that people can "hop over to DCA in the afternoon when DL is slammed" because "DCA is easier to navigate - wider pathways, more places to escape, etc."

Having said that, I am a bit worried about DCA this summer and beyond. Between the "DCA-only Deluxe AP access" all summer, and now the confirmed Halloween party move to DCA (including the 3 or 4 hours of DCA pre-party access), it seems like there's a lot being asked of this park. Some concerns:
1. DCA doesn't have a lot of FP bandwidth. With only seven FP rides available, and only one without a height requirement (TSMM), there just aren't many FP options. As more people get pushed over there (especially Deluxe APs who have Maxpass added to their passes), there could easily be a scenario where desirable FPs are gone by noon every day. Adding to that, there just aren't a ton of rides at DCA.
2. The closure of Bugs Land has been impactful in two ways. One, obviously it took away rides and attractions (RIP, splash pad), including a large slice of DCA's rides without height requirements. It seems to me, anecdotally, that this has strained everything else in the park that little kids can do (which really isn't a whole lot at this point). Two, it took away a major traffic path (from GOTG over to Carsland), adding congestion to a large chunk of the park.
3. An assortment of attractions and areas of the park are randomly much more crowded in 2019 than they had been before (the Animation building lobby is one - we hang out in there a lot and I have years of videos of my daughter dancing around to compare to). The Anna and Elsa lines have been particularly long for months now, after a couple of years where we could meet them with no wait pretty frequently...
4. As far as entertainment, I'm assuming PTN is coming back? That hasn't been confirmed, though, and they've only had one (late) WOC showing so far this year.

Anyway, I know a lot of attention is being paid to DL and how it will handle the SW:GE crowds, but I haven't seen a lot of thoughts on DCA. So, do we think DCA is ready to shine? Or are the DCA-lovers among us in for a rough year?
I have not been to DLR since last June, so I have zero recent first hand experience to offer. I do know how hard it was when they had BugsLand closed off to the old ToT. When they opened everything up to CarsLand it made DCA navigation so much easier. I agree there will be extra crowds and DCA is not as well prepared to handle that as it might if BugsLand was still open. If PTN happens that will have pros and cons. One of the cons is it will shut down one of the two remaining access points across the park. If I were Disney, that would be a hard decision. Is it better to host a night time parade to draw people from DL but really make DCA navigation a mess? Or keep PTN on the back burner for now and let WOC be the main night time draw? Selfishly, I want PTN back this summer. But I think if I were Disney I would keep PTN on the backburner so that DCA is manageable.

:wizard:

Yikes! Was that the original plan or did something go wrong? It seems odd to open such a highly anticipated (and highly hyped) immersive theming experience without half of its ride atttactions.
Rumors are something went wrong. As in, that can't make the ride go without breaking down every 10 minutes. Rather than delay the whole new "Star Wars Land", they decided on the phased opening. Not ideal, but probably the best that could be done given the situation.

Rumors are something went wrong. As in, that can't make the ride go without breaking down every 10 minutes. Rather than delay the whole new "Star Wars Land", they decided on the phased opening. Not ideal, but probably the best that could be done given the situation.

Making the ride go is pretty important :)

It will be fun for Star Wars fans regardless. My DH is already planning the lightsaber he’s going to build. Anyway, sorry for hijacking a DCA thread with questions about SWGE! I’ll simmer down now.

Yikes! Was that the original plan or did something go wrong? It seems odd to open such a highly anticipated (and highly hyped) immersive theming experience without half of its ride atttactions.
When they announced the May 31 opening date they announced this plan. Basically by all accounts they can't seen to keep ROTR running for more than 10 to 15 minutes at a time and it takes several hours to get it back up and running and this is happening on both coasts. As usual, there are politics as to how this ended becoming an issue due to complications with company that made the ride system, but it is what it is now and Disney has to live with the consequences of the intentional choices they made.

Reactions: EmJ
I have not been to DLR since last June, so I have zero recent first hand experience to offer. I do know how hard it was when they had BugsLand closed off to the old ToT. When they opened everything up to CarsLand it made DCA navigation so much easier. I agree there will be extra crowds and DCA is not as well prepared to handle that as it might if BugsLand was still open. If PTN happens that will have pros and cons. One of the cons is it will shut down one of the two remaining access points across the park. If I were Disney, that would be a hard decision. Is it better to host a night time parade to draw people from DL but really make DCA navigation a mess? Or keep PTN on the back burner for now and let WOC be the main night time draw? Selfishly, I want PTN back this summer. But I think if I were Disney I would keep PTN on the backburner so that DCA is manageable.

DCA is quite manageable without the passthrough in Bugsland, they ran the Electrical Parade that way for years, I wouldn't be surprised to see PTN come back for summer. DCA can handle it.

When they announced the May 31 opening date they announced this plan. Basically by all accounts they can't seen to keep ROTR running for more than 10 to 15 minutes at a time and it takes several hours to get it back up and running and this is happening on both coasts. As usual, there are politics as to how this ended becoming an issue due to complications with company that made the ride system, but it is what it is now and Disney has to live with the consequences of the intentional choices they made.
I’m intrigued... is there any discussion on this issue on another thread?

I think DCA will be able to handle it for the most part. It seems to me DCA has a little bit more elbow room than Disneyland, so I assume they are able to better adjust for an influx of crowds.

Who knows though, they may get slammed with crazy amounts of people and turn DCA into one large standing room only park. I hope this is not the case.

DCA is quite manageable without the passthrough in Bugsland, they ran the Electrical Parade that way for years, I wouldn't be surprised to see PTN come back for summer. DCA can handle it.
Yah, but that was before CarsLand was open. And they had WOC running that way but for only 2 years I think. I always, always thought ToT was a pain all the way back there at a dead end. With CL now going strong, and WOC, and more people overflowing because of SWGE I am not as confident as you are. :scratchin

I love DCA too. I think the queues will feel the most pressure as there are fewer rides. However with the wider paths it will still be navigable.

I think the demise of Bugsland was sad, but with Carsland, Mermaid, and some of Pixar Pier geared towards kids it is ok. When they built Bugsland those other family friendly attractions didn't exist. It is a bummer to lose the capacity, but Philharmagic should help with the loss of Bugs theater. I do wish they had saved the lady bug ride for a retheme too. It's crazy how long it has taken to rethemed Fliks Flyers. The worst part for now of Bugsland being closes is the dead end effect. Walking through was nice.

Also, we lovers of DCA are a minority. Imagine an average family buying 3 day tickets. They already say spend only one day at DCA and 2 at DL. Now add in SWGE and people may feel a strong pull to spend even more time at DL. Anyway expect DCA to be busy and crowded with long queues, but I wouldn't expect gate closures. Unless the problem is DL is so full it closes and people are forced to go to DCA or go home.

I agree with @agamble that many tourists purchasing a 3-day one-park-a-day ticket will likely allot 2 DL, 1 DCA. For families, there are more kid-friendly attractions and entertainment in DL. For Star Wars fans, they'll want part/all of a day just for SWGE. I suppose a few thrill-ride teen/adult parties might choose 2 DCA/1 DL if they wanted to avoid the SW chaos.

But I think the value of parkhoppers increases greatly once SWGE opens, to bounce back and forth with MP and crowd levels. And APs all have PH capability of course.

With no small children and going relatively often from 400 miles away, I have it down to 1 day for each park. But again, with SWGE opening that will probably change my time allotment too. Currently I am planning to avoid all of it for awhile until I see how it settles out.

PHXscuba

My wife and I are worried about this exact issue. We’ve noticed that the busiest, most un-bearable days are weekends where Deluxe Passholders aren’t blacked out. Saturdays in the summer have actually been very nice for this exact reason - Deluxe AP’s weren’t allowed in.

Now that Deluxe can get into DCA everyday in the summer, I worry that the parking situation will be crazier than normal (although the new parking expansion will hopefully balance that out). I also worry about DCA, which is our preferred park. We love to go there and chill with good beer, wine, etc. I hope that DCA can handle the amount of AP’s that will now go on Saturdays.

I also really love DCA and 100% agree with all of your thoughts. I’m worried too. And I think DCA needs more rides and more FP rides!
We do have "Marvel" land that would hopefully create some draw and also some people-absorber attractions. Especially now that another new e-ticket is coming to toontown.

I agree with @agamble that many tourists purchasing a 3-day one-park-a-day ticket will likely allot 2 DL, 1 DCA. For families, there are more kid-friendly attractions and entertainment in DL. For Star Wars fans, they'll want part/all of a day just for SWGE. I suppose a few thrill-ride teen/adult parties might choose 2 DCA/1 DL if they wanted to avoid the SW chaos.

But I think the value of parkhoppers increases greatly once SWGE opens, to bounce back and forth with MP and crowd levels. And APs all have PH capability of course.

With no small children and going relatively often from 400 miles away, I have it down to 1 day for each park. But again, with SWGE opening that will probably change my time allotment too. Currently I am planning to avoid all of it for awhile until I see how it settles out.

PHXscuba
They won't get SWGE all day, when you get your reservation or after that boarding pass, it will only let you stay in the land for a few hours by all accounts. So time will be limited, not sure how it will be enforced, but that us what is currently being said.

My wife and I are worried about this exact issue. We’ve noticed that the busiest, most un-bearable days are weekends where Deluxe Passholders aren’t blacked out. Saturdays in the summer have actually been very nice for this exact reason - Deluxe AP’s weren’t allowed in.

Now that Deluxe can get into DCA everyday in the summer, I worry that the parking situation will be crazier than normal (although the new parking expansion will hopefully balance that out). I also worry about DCA, which is our preferred park. We love to go there and chill with good beer, wine, etc. I hope that DCA can handle the amount of AP’s that will now go on Saturdays.

My opinion on the new blackout dates is that it’s going to make Disneyland actually less crowded this summer while DCA will only see a slight increase or none at all. I’m a fan of DCA but I’m thinking that there aren’t that many ap’s that will come to the DLR just to get in that one park. I’m local and sometimes I will pop in to the resort for just a few hours to get something to eat, ride something or see a show. Even when I’m there for a short period I still park hop. And I think I’m in the minority when it comes to being there for a short period. Most ppl are there all day or close to it. I definitely wouldn’t come just to get into DCA.

I know a lot of people here take trips to the DLR and you buy non park hop tickets. But the DLR population is still primarily comprised of ap’s. We’ve been used to being able to jump to either park whenever we want. Take that option away and the resort doesn’t feel right. It would suck feeling like you were trapped in one park

I know a lot of people here take trips to the DLR and you buy non park hop tickets. But the DLR population is still primarily comprised of ap’s. We’ve been used to being able to jump to either park whenever we want. Take that option away and the resort doesn’t feel right. It would suck feeling like you were trapped in one park
The people I know with deluxe passes didn’t want to upgrade and instead just let their passes expire. They didn’t want to pay so much for 1 park in the summer months, when they are used to paying similar for both parks.

The people I know with deluxe passes didn’t want to upgrade and instead just let their passes expire. They didn’t want to pay so much for 1 park in the summer months, when they are used to paying similar for both parks.
We have Signature passes that are valid through August, but probably won't renew for a while ourselves l, especially if crowds do turn out at the levels they are estimating.

Some interesting points being brought up...

I actually don’t know a single person who renewed at Deluxe level - they all either upgraded or let their passes lapse. Maybe that was the actual goal, “get rid” of Deluxe without actually discontinuing the pass. They had to predict that was going to happen to a certain extent, right? :rolleyes1

I really hope PTN will be back.

Some interesting points being brought up...

I actually don’t know a single person who renewed at Deluxe level - they all either upgraded or let their passes lapse. Maybe that was the actual goal, “get rid” of Deluxe without actually discontinuing the pass. They had to predict that was going to happen to a certain extent, right? :rolleyes1

I really hope PTN will be back.
That or if you do upgrade, at least they're getting $1149 out of you lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter