Can Dopey be my First Marathon???

What would you do?

• Total voters
I'm just doing the full in 2019 (which will be my first full after doing 10 half marathons). For me, I think as big an issue is a) can I get that Thursday and Friday off (answer no, because I teach), and b) is there any way I could get up that early 4 days in a row... :)

It’s what I did. I ran my first half Oct 2014 and ran dopey 2016 with it being my first marathon. Would I change what I did - absolutely not, but I understand it’s not for everyone. Because you have a race a day for the lead up I almost forgot I had a marathon to do, I certainly wasn’t as nervous as I thought I would be and I was so tired I slept like a baby the day before. Also as there’s so many other people in the same boat as you (both dopey runners and first timers) I never felt pressured to run faster or stop walking as I have at other big marathons. I would say I had ran 5/6 half’s by the time dopey came around and I did stick pretty religiously to a plan (except when I had a few niggles and took a few weeks off). But whatever you do, train hard and be proud of your achievements!

I don’t mind if you wanna ask any questions about plans or my experience of doing it - I’m no expert but I’ve done dopey twice, would be more if I could afford it!

AHHH That's soo awesome to know that someone else has done EXACTLY (like down to the time line) what I want to do!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Honestly, only you can make this decision.

Personally - I knew I was going to run the WDW Marathon as my first marathon in 2016, but the minute I even thought about doing Dopey ... I knew I was going to do Dopey. It wasn't really a question, though at the time it seemed like it. I was running a 10K-10 Miler-Half Marathon a month at the point I registered anyway, so I was comfortable with the concept of the distances. If I was hesitant about the marathon distance, I would've done a marathon first before I did Dopey - just because it CAN and will be overwhelming ... there is so much on the line when you get to Sunday, and in my case, I had family and friends from out-of-town that had traveled down to Florida for the weekend to support me. I would have been devastated to not finish and disappoint them.

However, I'd done three simulation weekends leading up to Dopey (two back in Texas, one here in Florida) so I felt prepared. Unfortunately, the Florida simulation weekend fell over Christmas - with a 10-miler on Christmas Eve and 20 miles on Christmas Day. I'd never trained for anything like this before, so it definitely was a shock to my family - but luckily they were all-in with me from the moment I registered back in April.

So that's another thing that doesn't get mentioned enough, I think. To be successful with Dopey (and personally, with it being my first marathon), is you have to fully commit to training. That means running on vacation. Rearranging your personal life to get the miles in. Skipping out on nights out or other events because you have that long run the next morning, even though you JUST RAN TODAY. For me, it was easier than most because I wasn't working and training became my "full-time job", but it still sucked sometimes. My husband is really busy or gone from town for work for the entirety of May-June-July, so I wasn't inconveniencing him with my run schedule or a house that constantly smelled like a locker room or a geriatric center (yay, BioFreeze!).

Also, if you're just starting out on your running journey ... expect your costs to skyrocket exponentially once you start training for Dopey. You're going to need way more "stuff" than people who have been running for a while. More socks, more sports bras, shorts, run shirts, etc. - unless you like doing a lot of laundry (and what even IS laundry?!?), not to mention hydration equipment and the like to help you get through summer/fall training, extra fuel, a gym membership or access to a treadmill in the event you can't run outside.

@Ariel484's training journal en route to her first official Dopey really sealed the deal for me - I saw what she was doing, knew I was either already doing most of what she was doing OR could get it to that level and knew I'd be fine with my first Marathon being during Dopey. I suggest reading a few older training journals to get a feel for what the training was like and decide if you really want to commit to all of it ... not just for the Marathon, but for Dopey in general.

And in the end - respect the distance. That's the most important thing about the Marathon. Or, @rteetz might also tell you not to eat at Ohana the night before too, as good advice. :rotfl2:

This is not really the same, but similar. I was excited to make a disney half marathon my first of that distance. It was a huge carrot for me to even want to go that far and I thought all the distractions of the scenery/excitement/characters would power me through. And it did! I'm super happy with that decision.
I had a lot of "Should I be switching to the challenge or all 3 races???" anxiety. Because everyone posting their experiences with race weekends was making me feel (my fault, not theirs) like I wasn't getting the best value for my trip. And also FOMO!
But I talked with people on here and they assured me that I wasn't "less than" for doing the one race and making it my one main focus. And to be honest...it was a perfect experience. I think if I had also done the challenge it would have still been a great weekend for me. So a win/win

I'm super risk adverse and still super on the fence about 2019 and what it could look like for me. (I'm the one person happy about the postponed registration.) But if you are feeling the tug from within to go for it...make your decision based on that and not on worrying about missing out or not being enough. What you decide will be enough!

GOOD LUCK!

Dopey 2017 was my first marathon, and I didn't even run my first half until Sept 2016. If you spend that much time with getting comfortable with shorter distances you should have no problems completing Dopey. Just train according to whatever plan you pick and trust the training and you'll do fine. Ultimately you are the only one who can decide what's best for you, but it's totally possible to do your first marathon as part of Dopey.

My first marathon was as part of Dopey. I had never run a 5k, 10k or marathon prior to completing Dopey this year. And I even beat my marathon time goal by nearly 7 minutes. I say go for it if you are thinking about it.

I already have Dopey 2020 penciled in for my second marathon.

My first marathon was Disney World in 2007, and it was warm, up to 84 degrees that day.
It was the second year of the Goofy Challenge and I was so happy that I JUST focused on the marathon.
The roller coaster ride of emotions, pain and joy that first year would have been diminished with several days of pre-fatigue.
Getting up early every day and the stress of getting to the starting line and what the weather will be will wear you out.

I did the first Dopey and doubt I will do it again.
I say DON'T spoil your FIRST marathon.
Do it solo and you will never regret "just" (JUST!) doing a marathon.
You always remember your first!
I did go Goofy the next year, and several years too.

You can always (unless they cancel Dopey) do it another year.
BTW, the weather the past few years have been very hard on the Dopeys, canceled races, freezing temps can indeed make one GRUMPY! :)

It is entirely up to how you feel. As you can see we all have our viewpoint :cutie: If you do decide to run Dopey just know that it is my first marathon/Dopey too and I will be behind you somewhere as I’m slow, but it will be a fun experience. For me I need the carrot dangling to get me training and Disney challenges are the best carrots :love:

I did my first marathon as part of an unofficial Dopey as the current Dopey didn't exist as a challenge at that point.
When you are trained for a marathon the 5k and 10k are relatively easy if you take it easy. I think the real challenge part is the half and full marathon back to back. If you are appropriately trained and aren't pushing yourself hard during the races that shouldn't be hard. Where I would be concerned is pace. If you are training with a goal of a 15 mm pace that's very different than a 12 MM or 10mm pace. I would want to have a little time buffer for the marathon, if I was doing it as part of Dopey and I don't know I'd be comfortable if I was running 15minute miles or above.

"just" (JUST!) doing a marathon.

How nuts is it that the phrase "Just doing a marathon" even exists?!! Definitely wouldn't feel bad about doing "just" a marathon.. lol! I just have this Disney movie picturesque moment in my mind of finishing my first marathon at Disney! I also want to do Dopey before my husband and I have kids which we are planning on in about 2 years. So I'm definitely planning on Dopey 2020. Just trying to decide if I should do a seperate marathon in 2019.. LOL.

It is entirely up to how you feel. As you can see we all have our viewpoint :cutie: If you do decide to run Dopey just know that it is my first marathon/Dopey too and I will be behind you somewhere as I’m slow, but it will be a fun experience. For me I need the carrot dangling to get me training and Disney challenges are the best carrots :love:
ohh.. I am incredibly slow! Even if I speed up in the next 2 years, I plan to stop for like ALL the characters so I'll be with the balloon ladies till the end.

As others have said, know what your motivation is for choosing Dopey. Besides the official Dopey and Goofy challenges there is also the unofficial Happy Couple race combination (10k and full).

I did my first half at Disney in January, and did the 5k as well to get the worst of nerves out. In 2019 I will be racing the 10k and full. This will be my first full as well. While the idea of Dopey is appealing, I am choosing to do my first marathon essentially a stand alone.

I just wanted to take a moment to Thank everyone for their imput. I’ve been reading and thinking and checking the poll religiously. I still haven’t made a final decision yet; however, I’m leaning towards running a non Disney marathon in 2019. I’ve read a lot of places that your 2nd marathon is always mentally easier because you know you can do it. And mental toughness is something I kind of struggle with anyway so I don’t want to not finish and always wonder if it was the marathon I couldn’t do or the days leading up to it.

A lot could change in 2 years so I’m not saying a hard no, that’s just where I’m leaning right now.. feel free to keep the success stories, advice and antidotes coming!!!

Good for you Katie.
You learn SO MUCH from that first marathon.
I hydrated during my first race but I didn't FUEL UP during the race.
I was ignorant and blissful! :)
That extra energy helped me out in subsequent races when I fueled properly.

You can pick up a lot of fantastic advice from this site.
Such a knowledge base.
So many people's mistakes you can avoid.

I recently started using compression sleeves for my calves.
Made a world of difference.
SaltStick helped me from cramping big time.
I am still learning and I will be running my 18th marathon this coming Saturday.

As others have said, you can do the Dopey as your first if you desire.
Many have, you won't be the first or last, you aren't Alpha Dopey Omega. :)
The 5K and 10K are minor challenges anyway.
That said, to rack up 22+ miles of running and untold amount of walking three days prior to a marathon does add up.

Good luck whatever you choose.

I did my first half at Disney in January, and did the 5k as well to get the worst of nerves out.
My first half was at Disney and part of a challenge and, yes, the second morning is a lot less stressful even if the distance is... Just the logistics to get fed, dressed, transported and ready tu run can be overwhelming.

I think you’re making the right choice! You never know how your body will respond until you go through the first training cycle. I’ve done just-the-Half at almost every Run Disney weekend I’ve attended, and only once regretted it (because of the beautiful Magic Mirror 10K medal at Disneyland one year). Running was still the focus of the trip and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Doing one event is all it takes to feel like you’re a part of something!

i want to bring up one more point about Dopey training and really disney marathon training in general that people sometimes don't think about due to when registration is but can and often does make training more difficult.

First, Keels is absoltely correct that you have to dedicate your time to training or you are going to either not complete it or be miserable. Training and running almosdt every day is pretty much needed to be successful at any marathon.

Now for Disney Marathon weekend we often have to signup in April-May-June time frame when it is beautiful outside and the days are long. Do keep in mind though that with the marathon being in january you are going to be doing your longer and tougher weeks during Oct-Nov-Dec time from when days are very short, we are not in DST and so for runs during the week if you work 8-5 then to get even 5 or 6 miles in during the week you may be running in the dark before or after work or hitting the treadmill and trying not to die or boredom. None are great options but you do what you have to do. Also as keels mentioned sometimes that last long week can hit during the holidays. I know marathon weekend is pushed back a week this year so not sure when the tough week would fall but expect it to be late december.

My only point is that when signing up in june when it is beautiful outside just keep in mind the toughest training will be in the nov/dec months which willl be tougher. On a plus side though if you can get through that training in the cold, dark, or treadmill then you'll be in great mental shape come marathon time.

ohh.. I am incredibly slow! Even if I speed up in the next 2 years, I plan to stop for like ALL the characters so I'll be with the balloon ladies till the end.

No problem with that. I rememer back when I did ToT I ran the race at a 10-11 min/mile pace. My finish pace was right at 16 min/mile per my garmin because I stopped at all the character stops becasue I could and had the speed at the time to do it. I'm not running close to a 10 min/mile right now but working to get back there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!