Can grandparents use GAC pass with autistic granddaughter?

thumpersfriend

DIS Veteran
We just received the diagnosis that our 2 year old beautiful granddaughter is autistic. What devastaing news, our only grandchild. We still plan, if she is able to go to WDW when she is 4. Question is ,I have dreamed of going on the rides with my grandchild for years now. So are grandparents allowed to use this pass also to see her enjoyment? If not I understand, but it sure would be a blessing!

If you are taking the child to Disney then of course you can get a GAC for her. Why would it matter who the child is with. The GAC is for the person with the special need and up to 5 people in their party. Actually mine states 2 because usually it is my husband and myself but I can easily have it upped if our daughters join us just by going to guest services and asking. The GAC is for the duration of the trip except in cases where the person is a frequent visitor and then they may issue one for a longer period.

As Talking Hands said, grandparents would be able to use the GAC too.
We travel to WDW each year with my MIL and FIL and have gone with my mother. As long as you don't exceed the number of people the GAC is written for, WDW doesn't care who is with the person with a disability.

Thanks so much. I was sure her parents could go but I did not know that they let more family members go too. What a blessing to hear that.

The GAC isn't really a pass. It is a tool to let CMs know what sort of assistance/accomidation is needed. When it is issued, you can usually get it for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability). There are times when you will be asked to split into smaller groups (for example, some attractions don't have room for more than a few people).
But, in general, you will be able to stay together.

Where is a good summary of the GAC? One of the families in our group has a daughter that was born extremely premmie and now has autistic-like difficulties with over stimulation, lines etc. THey have a written diagnosis summary from their doctor.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks.

A letter from the doctor is not needed. They need to bring the person with them and be able to explain the type of accommodations needed. Does the child need to be kept out of crowded lines. Out of the heat. Use a stroller in line as a safe space. That kind of thing

A letter with a diagnoses from a doctor is useless as far as getting a GAC. What Lisa (Talking Hands) said is correct. Also, there is nothing wrong with having a letter from a doctor which states the needs of the child, with one exception. Guest Services will ignore anything which states that front of the line access (completely bypassing lines) is needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter