Can I give ‘fake’ flight info for departure day for DME??

Didn't someone say that if call DME directly you can just give them a time to be picked up.

Also what happens if you did everything by the rules and you still miss your flight? For example, because of a traffic issue. Does Disney do anything for you? Since I live in Florida I don't have any use for DME, but am curios.

Don't understand why people feel that posters need include "in my opinion" in their replies. This is a board where we give opinions all the time.

Didn't someone say that if call DME directly you can just give them a time to be picked up.

Also what happens if you did everything by the rules and you still miss your flight? For example, because of a traffic issue. Does Disney do anything for you? Since I live in Florida I don't have any use for DME, but am curios.

Don't understand why people feel that posters need include "in my opinion" in their replies. This is a board where we give opinions all the time.

No, Disney doesn't offer compensation if you miss your flight. If you are worried and want more time, you can ask to be picked up earlier.

I’m not trying to maximize time at the parks. We will be waiting and relaxing at the resort until our assigned time. The only reason I really brought this up is because EVERY TIME we have taken DME they assigned us a time on the hour or on the half hour. Not 2:15, not 3:45 etc. I know I have to be waiting 15 minutes before my scheduled pickup. It’s just DH and I, it’s a late flight on a Saturday night (no rush hour traffic) at it’s at 10:59 pm. So if they hold true to how they have scheduled us in the past they would be a 7:30 pm pickup. One minute would make it an 8pm pickup. So 2 hour 59 minutes as opposed to 3 hours I’m not trying to ‘cut it close’. Also asked about requesting 8pm without having to ‘cheat the system’ and provide misinformation. We have notoriously gotten to the airport with more time than has been necessary. And yes, with long lines at TSA. We even got there once when TSA would not let us line up until it was within two hours of our flight. So we just had to stand there for 20 minutes. And yes, we were not the last stop on DME and it arrived 10-12 minutes after our scheduled time. Just some info of how this all started

I don't think you can give them what time you want to be picked up, but what time you want to be at MCO.
I’m not trying to maximize time at the parks. We will be waiting and relaxing at the resort until our assigned time. The only reason I really brought this up is because EVERY TIME we have taken DME they assigned us a time on the hour or on the half hour. Not 2:15, not 3:45 etc. I know I have to be waiting 15 minutes before my scheduled pickup. It’s just DH and I, it’s a late flight on a Saturday night (no rush hour traffic) at it’s at 10:59 pm. So if they hold true to how they have scheduled us in the past they would be a 7:30 pm pickup. One minute would make it an 8pm pickup. So 2 hour 59 minutes as opposed to 3 hours I’m not trying to ‘cut it close’. Also asked about requesting 8pm without having to ‘cheat the system’ and provide misinformation. We have notoriously gotten to the airport with more time than has been necessary. And yes, with long lines at TSA. We even got there once when TSA would not let us line up until it was within two hours of our flight. So we just had to stand there for 20 minutes. And yes, we were not the last stop on DME and it arrived 10-12 minutes after our scheduled time. Just some info of how this all started
I'm pretty sure the pick up time (at least the minutes) depends on the resort you're staying at. So (just for example), CR gets picked up at :00 and :30, Poly gets picked up at :10 and :40 and GF gets picked up at :20 and :50. So if you stay at the same resort, I fully believe the minutes are always the same.

Don't understand why people feel that posters need include "in my opinion" in their replies.
I think people like to see this so one's opinion doesn't get misconstrued as fact.

We've stayed at the same resort on several trips - sometimes we make extra stops after we're picked up. Sometimes we don't. Sometimes there's people from a prior pick up on the bus. Sometimes there's not. I don't recall what the exact pick-up times were year over year, but we've only had pick up times greater than 3 hours when the bus has had to make another stop after us. If you choose a fake flight to go with a later pick up time, its possible there could be another stop after you're picked up too. DME schedules are fluid depending on need, so experiences can vary. But regardless, you asked what the implications of giving a fake flight were, so now that you know, its totally up to you whether you want to take on those risks or not.

Thanks all. Our 3 stays have all been at BWI so I guess that’s where the :00 and :30 times come from. We have been first/last/in the middle as far as resort pick ups and each time end up at MCO within 15 minutes difference. I am curious how many others will be flying out at this time - I searched flights going to many destinations and it’s hard to find many flights 11pm or after. At least I’ll have plenty of time to think about it. That is unless I cancel the trip lol

I have been travelling to WDW long before they had the magical express bus. We always take it and use Disney transportation. Our pick up times have varied over the years. We have had times that were 5 or 10 after the hour. They try to get you picked up as close to the 3 hours as possible. During busier times, you will see a ME bus come every 10 minutes or so.

We have gotten into the habit of taking an Uber to the airport. So much easier and faster and really not that expensive.

Also asked about requesting 8pm without having to ‘cheat the system’ and provide misinformation.
Understood, but giving 'take' flight information is providing misinformation. If anything, call the direct number and explain your concern, and ask for an 8 PM pickup.
Thanks all. Our 3 stays have all been at BWI so I guess that’s where the :00 and :30 times come from
That sounds extremely strange, given that DME picks up about three hours before departure. 2:59 is about three hours, much more than 3:29 is.

No, Disney doesn't offer compensation if you miss your flight. If you are worried and want more time, you can ask to be picked up earlier.
That is what I thought. Then I don't understand all of the brouhaha about people giving a different flight number so they can get a later pick up time. If you understand the risk then what is the harm?

It is like Royal Caribbean cruises. They give you a check-in time but no one follows them.

That is what I thought. Then I don't understand all of the brouhaha about people giving a different flight number so they can get a later pick up time. If you understand the risk then what is the harm?

It is like Royal Caribbean cruises. They give you a check-in time but no one follows them.

The only consideration for this is that at times, the buses will fill up. They try very hard to get you to as close to the 3 hours as possible. I would hate to be someone that was intentionally giving a later time and then been assigned a later time still, and then have to rush or miss your flight. Or that someone else gets bumped to the later bus and they run late. I am sure that scenario is rare. People can do what they want, we just feel that a half an hour is a negligible amount of time to even bother with it.

Then I don't understand all of the brouhaha about people giving a different flight number so they can get a later pick up time. If you understand the risk then what is the harm?
DME pick up time is 3 hours for a reason - because, generally speaking, that's the time needed to allow Disney to get you to MCO in time for your flight. DME drivers have to load/unload luggage and often make multiple stops, so it does take a little longer than if you were to take private transportation, Uber, or even drive yourself. The point is that if you ignore this and choose a fake flight to take DME later, you put yourself at a higher risk for missing your flight than you would if you just took a private car. This is why the majority of us recommend taking an Uber or private car instead. 2.5 hours from WDW to MCO is very doable if you're taking something other than DME that you have more control over.

DME pick up time is 3 hours for a reason - because, generally speaking, that's the time needed to allow Disney to get you to MCO in time for your flight. DME drivers have to load/unload luggage and often make multiple stops, so it does take a little longer than if you were to take private transportation, Uber, or even drive yourself. The point is that if you ignore this and choose a fake flight to take DME later, you put yourself at a higher risk for missing your flight than you would if you just took a private car. This is why the majority of us recommend taking an Uber or private car instead. 2.5 hours from WDW to MCO is very doable if you're taking something other than DME that you have more control over.
I get the point about "you put yourself at a higher risk".

However people here were castigating other people for even suggesting the fake flight method. If a person wants to take the risk so be it. I don't understand why someone is castigated for even suggesting going that route.

I can see people responding with the increase with risk chance, but to castigate people for even suggesting it is a bit much.

It is kind of like the debates about when to book departure flights post cruise on a cruise board I visit.

Some people have opinions that booking a flight for 10am is fine. I don't particularly agree with this. I just express my opinion this would be uncomfortable for me and give reasons. But I wouldn't castigate someone for expressing a different opinion.

Although I've never heard of it actually happening my understanding is that if you miss your flight due to Magical Express issue, Disney will help you get home. If you miss your flight because gou faked your information, you're on your own. Yes, I'm aware of the flat tire "rule", but it would seem to me thst Disney has more pull than an individual.

Although I've never heard of it actually happening my understanding is that if you miss your flight due to Magical Express issue, Disney will help you get home. If you miss your flight because gou faked your information, you're on your own. Yes, I'm aware of the flat tire "rule", but it would seem to me thst Disney has more pull than an individual.
THIS. My understanding is that Disney *WILL* provide help if you miss your flight and you utilized (the proper) ME. My guess is if it's ever happened, the number of cases are so small and successful, no one has posted about it. I find it hard to believe if Disney HADN'T helped after the visitor did everything correct that we wouldn't have heard about it.

However people here were castigating other people for even suggesting the fake flight method. If a person wants to take the risk so be it. I don't understand why someone is castigated for even suggesting going that route.
I haven't seen any castigating. I don't think anyone here actually cares whether someone gives a fake flight, so no reason to castigate. But when you pose a question that would go against the system Disney has in place, one should expect that people will have opinions about that at both ends of the spectrum, which is what I have seen.

Our outbound flight leaves at 10:59pm which means DME would pick us up at 7:30. I’d prefer they picked us up at 8pm to avoid so much time at the airport. Anyone ever done this?

yes. We have successfully done this on our last three trips after someone suggested it online. I hate sitting around at the airport so it’s a no brainer for us. We’ve had significant magical express delays and have not come close to missing a flight. I usually give them flight info for a flight 30-45 minutes later, up to an hour. We have tsa precheck so the security line doesn’t make me too nervous. That being said, even with checking bags and magical express delays, we still waited at the gate about 30 minutes last time for an on time flight, so wewould have had time for a decent security line.
I just always give a later flight on the same airline. No issues.

I’d suggest ot making plans until we know the impact of the upcoming construction on 417. Central Florida Expressway just sent an email saying they will be adding new lanes between the airport and the Disney exits between ongoing until 2024. That could impact travel times and you may need the 3 hours. Once it starts we’ll have a good idea of the times then you can plan.

Our outbound flight leaves at 10:59pm which means DME would pick us up at 7:30. I’d prefer they picked us up at 8pm to avoid so much time at the airport. Anyone ever done this?
I do it. Almost every trip.

Once I mentioned doing it here on the boards and... well, there are some people who are very passionate about this subject aren't there?

If you check in at the resort beforehand, and you have Precheck like I do, there’s just no reason to get to the airport that early. Especially when we don’t have kids.

I gave fake flight info on my last two trips and even if there had been 90-minute delays I would’ve been fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!