Can I request a seat for a roll in shower?

obisbondgirl

Mouseketeer
I use a manual wheelchair & booked a roll in shower room at the Boardwalk. At home I use a portable bath seat in the shower. But I will be flying from Canada & would prefer not to have to bring my seat. Can I request a seat from the hotel once I get there? Or is there no such thing, you must bring your own?

Disney has been getting unpredictable with roll-in shower rooms lately. It used to be that every roll-in shower had a fold down bench seat attached to the wall. Now they have different types of bench seats and some showers with no seat at all. They will provide a seat of some sorts for the shower upon request but some are too small to be usable for some people. Others work OK. I'm not sure what you mean by portable bath seat but if you mean one on wheels I don't think Disney has them at all.

If you look through this thread you'll see photos of various showers throughout the Disney resorts:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...ible-room-locations-and-measurements.1180437/

Here are some photos of various situations I've seen in the past few months:

Mesh seat at Pop Century, doesn't work well for me since it sags and isn't stable:
Shower.JPG

Portable shower seat at Pop Century, it looks pretty small:
Pop Century room 0203 roll in shower 021.JPG

Portable shower seat at All Star Music, this one is not as large as I like but it worked for me:
ASMuShowerseat.JPG

Disney has been getting unpredictable with roll-in shower rooms lately. It used to be that every roll-in shower had a fold down bench seat attached to the wall. Now they have different types of bench seats and some showers with no seat at all. They will provide a seat of some sorts for the shower upon request but some are too small to be usable for some people. Others work OK. I'm not sure what you mean by portable bath seat but if you mean one on wheels I don't think Disney has them at all.

If you look through this thread you'll see photos of various showers throughout the Disney resorts:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...ible-room-locations-and-measurements.1180437/

Here are some photos of various situations I've seen in the past few months:

Mesh seat at Pop Century, doesn't work well for me since it sags and isn't stable:
View attachment 337148

Portable shower seat at Pop Century, it looks pretty small:
View attachment 337149

Portable shower seat at All Star Music, this one is not as large as I like but it worked for me:
View attachment 337150

Thanks for your reply! Pictures were very helpful!

My seat is basically the blue Pop Century one in your picture, just without the back-rest.

I'm quite petite so I'm not too worried about the sizes. I have moderate CP so I'm pretty stable, able to keep myself upright etc, just have great difficulty walking, standing, using my legs really aha. I think I would be able to use the seats in your picture, I just need there to be a seat. Usually I bring mine when I'm just driving somewhere but not when I'm flying.

Well fingers crossed they can help me out at the Boardwalk. I believe they provided me a seat at Port Orleans last time but that was 4 years ago.

If for some reason you arrive and there is no wall-mounted seat, first thing I would do is go to the Front Desk and work with the Concierge directly. Don't try and work it out by calling via the room phone - that goes to a call center, and you will not actually speak to anyone at your Resort.

You can ask them to supply a sturdy, stable shower chair. If for some reason they are out of them, or you don't like the style that they provide, you can always rent from local Medical Supply houses. When we were staying at POFQ last year, we met the loveliest couple; the husband used a power chair for his needs, and his wife had a compact personal ECV. She told me that they regularly have shower chairs shipped in to hotels that they stay at, and just leave them at the hotel when they depart, so that they know they will have the chair they want for the duration of their stay. Even though they return frequently to the same hotels, she said they always have a new chair shipped in so that they know the chair they want will be available! She said it cost them about $50/trip via Amazon...

I don't think you have to worry, however; there should be a wall-mounted bench in the shower already.

If you have concerns about your room, you can always call Disability Services, and ask them to reach out to your Resort hotel to find out what to expect. The number is: (407) 560-2547

... She told me that they regularly have shower chairs shipped in to hotels that they stay at, and just leave them at the hotel when they depart, so that they know they will have the chair they want for the duration of their stay. Even though they return frequently to the same hotels, she said they always have a new chair shipped in so that they know the chair they want will be available! She said it cost them about $50/trip via Amazon...

I have been so worried about the shower seat issue I've been thinking about doing this. The peace of mind might be worth the cost.

I use a manual wheelchair & booked a roll in shower room at the Boardwalk. At home I use a portable bath seat in the shower. But I will be flying from Canada & would prefer not to have to bring my seat. Can I request a seat from the hotel once I get there? Or is there no such thing, you must bring your own?

It has been a few years since I used a roll-in shower at BWV. I believe that they are mostly on the poolside and not a standard side. I remember using a roll-in shower at BWV lakeside and it had the wooden plank seat that most folks prefer. I would call and make sure that your room is a roll-in shower and when you check-in to confirm the exact type of a chair that you need.

pop-century-room-0203-roll-in-shower-021-jpg.337149

This was my photo of my roll-in shower room at Pop Century resort #0203. The chair did not come with the room. I had asked for a bathtub chair when I was in a standard room with a bathtub. The chair was really too large to turn around in a standard bathtub. I decided to bring it with me when they offered me the roll-in chair. I asked them to pick it up when I felt comfortable using the mesh wall seat in the roll-in shower.

Maybe someone else might have a photo of the shower chairs at BWV.

We’ve called Housekeeping using the labeled button on the room phone for equipment.
That is a call center, but a local Housekeeping call center serving only a few resorts. For example, we stay at OKW and the Housekeeping center we reach is OKW and Saratoga Springs. That is who I would contact because they actually have/handle the equipment for your resort. That is who Concierge would be contacting if you talk with Concierge.

That said, check anything before you use it. We’ve gotten a shower bench that was in good shape other than having loose screws. We called Engineering, using the room phone button and they came quickly to tighten them.

We’ve also rented from one of the offsite equipment rental companies that lanejudy mentioned. That way, you csn choose the type of equipment you want/need.

Does anyone know if I can request a bath seat in a regular room? My daughter just broke her foot so that's what we've been using at home. Although at home we have a handheld shower, is that only available in the accessible rooms? So many things to think about!

Yes, you can. It is a tight fit for the Standard room bathtub. Since the beds are tall, you can also request a step to help her get in and out of the bed if she needs one.

Does anyone know if I can request a bath seat in a regular room? My daughter just broke her foot so that's what we've been using at home. Although at home we have a handheld shower, is that only available in the accessible rooms? So many things to think about!

I don't think that most Disney Resort rooms will have a handheld shower option for the tubs. You may want to consider (for this trip only) using a Handicapped Accessible room with a roll-in shower, that way you are guaranteed to have a shower seat and a handheld sprayer. (Additionally, the beds are lower)

I don't think that most Disney Resort rooms will have a handheld shower option for the tubs. You may want to consider (for this trip only) using a Handicapped Accessible room with a roll-in shower, that way you are guaranteed to have a shower seat and a handheld sprayer. (Additionally, the beds are lower)

I agree with mamabunny. I don't know if all Standard rooms have a handheld shower, although the Standard room that I started with before going to the roll-in shower did have a handheld shower. It is so hard to know now since the rooms are refurbished which room has what.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! Trying to make sure we can still do and enjoy this trip. Kudos to anyone who has to do this regularly, it takes planning to a whole new level!

Hi everyone,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply! My trip was a great success, but while I was there it was very busy aha.

Initially I was in room 1313 at the Boardwalk, roll in shower room. I'm going to try to add a picture of the seat, my first time adding a picture to a post! Sorry there's a towel on it, I hastily snapped a pic before we changed rooms.

We had an issue that you can read about here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/should-i-request-a-room-change.3694200/

After speaking to the concierge (nicely) we were surprise upgraded to a club level room, room 4256. This room had a tub rather than a shower which I was a bit worried about, but at least my mum was there to help. The seat was tiny & a bit scary looking but was honestly very sturdy. I swear I took a picture but now cannot find it. Very sorry!

To be honest I preferred the tub better. It was an extremely low tub, lowest I've ever seen, with lots of bars inside & out. I could actually step over & into the tub independently, something I've never done before in my life aha. The seat was small to fit in the tub, but sturdy as I said. I was able to face the shower head straight on. In the roll in shower, the seat was parallel to the shower head, so the water was flowing into my side rather than straight at me, which I didn't like as much.

My mum took measurements of the tub & pictures because I liked it so much aha. I will upload when I can get them.

I foolishly did not ask Disney for the exact category of room, I only know it was one of the accessible ones. I am unlikely to stay club level for a long long time lol but still want to know what kind of tub that was for future reference. I guess since I know the room number I can always ask them at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_1667.JPG
    IMG_1667.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 16

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter