Can someone help me understand the pricing?

a*lil*bit*goofy

I miss the tag fairy
I am trying to figure out what my best option is, a 'probable' room only discount (which on Pop will be what, 15%?) and pay for dining plan

or free dining (adding on Park Hopper, and upgrading to reg dining plan)

Currently I have: (Aug 29 to Sep 3)
5 nights, Pop Preferred room
5 day ticket plus hopper (canadian resident ticket)
Dining plan
Total for 2 adults $2379

If I price out the same vacation right now at Disney, (not the Canadian discount pass)
I get $2643 for 2 adults reg dining
$2413 with counter service plan
$1888 no dining.

So if I get free dining, is it safe to say I re-book the package as above, I would pay $1888 Free Dining and then I would pay $23/adult /day to increase to reg dining plan, for an approx total of $2110 for two

This saves me $269 over what I am paying now.

Is this all correct in how I am doing it?

I am trying to figure out what my best option is, a 'probable' room only discount (which on Pop will be what, 15%?) and pay for dining plan

or free dining (adding on Park Hopper, and upgrading to reg dining plan)

Currently I have: (Aug 29 to Sep 3)
5 nights, Pop Preferred room
5 day ticket plus hopper (canadian resident ticket)
Dining plan
Total for 2 adults $2379

If I price out the same vacation right now at Disney, (not the Canadian discount pass)
I get $2643 for 2 adults reg dining
$2413 with counter service plan
$1888 no dining.

So if I get free dining, is it safe to say I re-book the package as above, I would pay $1888 Free Dining and then I would pay $23/adult /day to increase to reg dining plan, for an approx total of $2110 for two

This saves me $269 over what I am paying now.

Is this all correct in how I am doing it?
Close...the price to upgrade to regular dining is $230 so it would be $2,118 for two adults with free dining on your plan (just off by $8). This would save you $261 vs your current price.

The room component of that is $884.26 so you would need the room discount to be 30% or more to have a Room Only discount beat out free dining.

Since you appear to be 100% committed to purchasing the dining plan and park hopper, free dining is your best discount. For somebody in a similar situation who was not committed to the dining plan (and./or park hopper) this is a much murkier calculation.

Close...the price to upgrade to regular dining is $230 so it would be $2,118 for two adults with free dining on your plan (just off by $8). This would save you $261 vs your current price.

The room component of that is $884.26 so you would need the room discount to be 30% or more to have a Room Only discount beat out free dining.

Since you appear to be 100% committed to purchasing the dining plan and park hopper, free dining is your best discount. For somebody in a similar situation who was not committed to the dining plan (and./or park hopper) this is a much murkier calculation.

Thank you.

Normally we would not want the park hopper but would want the dining plan.
Removing the park hopper seems that we may be close to breaking even.
$80 less for 2, so from orig price I would be at roughly $2220 if I remove hopper now.

Vs
$2118 if I do free dining with all the rules and parameters.

So free dining is really not free is it. Lol. Its close to the room only discount if I apply that to my original reservation! (Considering we would normally not do hoppers)

Thank you.

Normally we would not want the park hopper but would want the dining plan.
Removing the park hopper seems that we may be close to breaking even.
$80 less for 2, so from orig price I would be at roughly $2220 if I remove hopper now.

Vs
$2118 if I do free dining with all the rules and parameters.

So free dining is really not free is it. Lol. Its close to the room only discount if I apply that to my original reservation! (Considering we would normally not do hoppers)
Free dining USED to be free when they didn't have all these restrictions on it. For somebody in a preferred room with park hopper and already buying the dining plan...it's still probably a great deal. For somebody hoping to book a standard room, no park hopper and was planning to dine out of pocket...they end up spending more, lol.

In your case you're right, eliminate that hopper and you're comparing $2,220 to $2,118. Throw in a 15% discount off of the $884 room rate and you actually would pay $30 less on the room offer if you nix the hoppers and go that route.

Free dining USED to be free when they didn't have all these restrictions on it. For somebody in a preferred room with park hopper and already buying the dining plan...it's still probably a great deal. For somebody hoping to book a standard room, no park hopper and was planning to dine out of pocket...they end up spending more, lol.

In your case you're right, eliminate that hopper and you're comparing $2,220 to $2,118. Throw in a 15% discount off of the $884 room rate and you actually would pay $30 less on the room offer if you nix the hoppers and go that route.
Thank you very much!
I thought I was doing it all wrong

Bottom line is that I will not panic if I dont secure free dining. I will simply cancel the park hoppers and hope for the room only discount.

Im glad we booked based on what we could afford just for this very reason. We could go price as is if need be. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!