Can we get away with one stroller?

Elsie Grant

Earning My Ears
We are planning our next trip to Disney and this time around we'll have a second little traveler with us! Our 2nd baby will be about 6 months old during our trip and our oldest will be 6.5y. We've done Disney many times with our 6.5yo, we even took him when he was 6 months old, so we are very excited! However, I'm dreading the idea of having to bring a double stroller with us. We haven't found a double that folds down compactly enough while still giving our oldest easy access to get out and that will give our baby a safe place to nap. I've also seen parents struggle with double's on the monorail for years and I don't want to be that family.

Our 6.5yo will walk some of the park, however, he is small for his age and won't be able to walk on the long hauls and may need to take breaks sometimes. We also find that it's easier for him to sit in the stroller to watch parades, because he is so small. I plan on using a front carrier most of the time with the baby, like I did with our son when he was that age, but it is nice to put the baby in the stroller and give my back a rest once in a while, especially when we're taking a snack break. We love our Chicco Cortina because we can turn the seat into a bassinet for baby naps.

Do you think that we could get away with bringing a single stroller (The Cortina) for the two to share? We'll buy and bring a double if we need to, but if it can be avoided without jeopardizing our trip I would prefer that. Also, has anyone had any luck with single strollers that have a riding board on the back for older kids to stand while you push the stroller (not a sit-and-stand)? Could that be an option for us or are they a hindrance?

I would rent a double stroller such as the City Mini GT, just about 5inches wider than a single stroller and yet caters for both your kids. If your 6.5 year old doesn't want to use it then it is great for putting all your supplies and change bag in the seat for easy access and good balance. It's an easy fold for transport and is great around the parks. We've had the boogie board on the stroller and we found that they were really difficult due to the various track lines and inconsistencies in the ground surface. It's fine for a little short trip, but anything longer and it becomes a hassle for the kid as well as the parent pushing it. The max weight I found on one of the boogie boards was 40lbs or so, too little for my kids so I made my own! haha....

But even then, by the time you spend that money you would've been better off renting a double in the first place ;o)

Another option is to check around on craigslist and facebook for a cheaper used one, they hold their price so you can buy one, take it and use it then sell it for what you paid for it when you come home... net cost = $0

You can always try your way first. If it becomes a problem you can either rent a stroller from Disney if you only need it for some parks (like Epcot with more walking) or you can rent offsite and have it delivered to your hotel. Take lots of breaks and stay hydrated. Take advantage of the shows when your older child starts to get a bit tired.

How does your 6 year old hold up now on excursions? The days are longer than the normal day out for most kids. Have you thought about a banana stroller for the child? You can pick them up for around 20.00 and they transport fairly easily.

Do they still make sit and stands? My oldest was 7 and she shared the sit/stand part with her almost 5 yo brother while my 2 1/2 year old had the front. The older 2 walked part of the time but they also sat part of the time.

As far as folding it up, as long as you plan right it should be no problem everything we had was in a bag so I grabbed that and the little kids and my dh folded up the stroller and carried it on.

The choice is surely a personal one but I'd opt for the baby carrier alone for a 6 month older. When your back gets tired then it's Dad's turn. The less you carry in general the easier to sit in restaurants, get on WDW public transport and make it through the security checks.

I did a study for my then building (it's something like a high rise HOA) when double wides gained in popularity and we wound up banning the side by sides in favor of the tandems. The side by sides took up too much space in the elevators; removed the paint off the side of elevator and apartment doors, and generally created ill will amongst the haves and have nots (children that is). The tandems made for a great compromise and allowed us all to live in relative peace. Can't say I looked into how easily either style closed though; wasn't part of the problem we were trying to fix.

I don't know anything about the riding boards and stand and sits but am sure others can better voice their thoughts.

We used one single stroller on our last trip. Kids were 8 months (carrier most of the time) and almost 3. They did just fine. Over a year later and we are going with the same plan. We go all day at the zoo at just 4 and almost 2 with a single stroller plus a carrier. I would not push a double stroller around unless I absolutely have to do it. I’ve used it for really cold events where it’s easier to bundle them up in blankets and going to and from the neighborhood pool with all our stuff. Other than that single stroller + carrier is our jam. And honestly there are times we do 2 carriers and no stroller. It works, but my oldest is younger than yours.

I didn’t do Disney with my youngest at 6 months but I did do another large amusement park, and I did find that one stroller was sufficient along with a baby carrier. When my oldest wanted to be in the stroller, I wore my youngest. Otherwise, the youngest was in the stroller and I stowed away the carrier. I wish I could comfortably wear my youngest next year when we go, but she will be 3.5! I’m upset we have to do 2 strollers or a double!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter