Can we get to Blue Lagoon on our own?

doulasue

Mouseketeer
Wondering if we can get to "Blue Lagoon" on our own, without signing up for the excursion. Do we just catch the water taxi to "Blue Lagoon" or is there another name for it? $125 (for 2 adults and 2 kids) seems like alot to spend on an excursion for just a ferry ride and lunch. If we don't take the excursion but go on our own, can we just buy our own lunch? DH and I saved a ton of money on our last cruise by doing our own thing, but I need to make sure that we can get to Blue Lagoon on our own.
Thank you. Sue

Hi Sue,

I am not sure if anyone here has done Blue Lagoon w/o a excusion, because the only two ways I know of to get to that private island is by the Dolphin Encounter boat or a private boat that is used for their excusions. I did the swim with the dolphins a few years ago and at that time Disney didn't offer the excursion, so I had to figure out how to get their by myself (and I do mean just me...no hubby or anyone.) I learned from the taxi driver that over on Paradise Island is where you get the dolphin encounter boat (which is what I got on after checking in at their excursion desk). While on the island I didn't see any other boats except theirs and I was able to take a encounter boat back to the Carnival Ship (as they did offer the excursion at the time and they were docked next to Disney...saved me a few bucks on that return trip and some time too.) So, unless someone else knows differently, I would say the only way to get to Blue Lagoon Island is by an excursion of some type.

PS
I highly reccomend the swim with the dolphins encounter there!

Mmketeer Next cruise in Dec.2002

I tried booking the dolphin encounter through Disney and it was full. I called the dolphin encounter direct and they said they were booked for Easter week. Then I tried booking via e-mail to dolphin encounter and I got a reservation for the encounter! The swim was booked. Our time is 1:30 and I want to get to Blue Lagoon earlier than that. Dolphin Encounters told me I would have to book an all day pass through Nassau Cruises to get there early. I too, would like to know if we can get there on our own. I haven't called Nassau Cruises yet, but I'm wondering how much it will be.

We planned to try it once on our own and jumped in a taxi, asking to be taken to the boat dock on Paradise Island. On the way over, the taxi driver asked if we had reservations. When we said that we didn't, he recommended that we go to the public beach on Paradise Island instead, as he said that we might not be able to take the boat. I don't know if that was true or not...we took his advice and went to the public beach.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Do you all think that the snorkeling is better on the Blue Lagoon Island or Castaway Cay? How would the equipment charges compare?:)

Hi

We snorkeled at Blue Lagoon and Castaway Cay in April 2000. Blue Lagoon was much better as far as what you get to see. Lots of coral and a wide variety of fish. However it is in the open ocean and it was quite rough the day we went with lots of waves. The water at Castaway Cay was very calm but there was little variety of fish and a lot more sand than coral. Castaway Cay does have some interesting items in the water - big jugs, sunken boats etc. placed there by Disney.

Blue Lagoon was a very 'natural' snorkeling experience and Castaway Cay was a rather artifical experience. But both were lots of fun!

I believe the equipment costs were similar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter