Can you get an appetizer instead of desert on the DP?

WL2000

Mouseketeer
I am new to the DP, are you able to swap out your desert for an appetizer for a table service credit?

I am new to the DP, are you able to swap out your desert for an appetizer for a table service credit?
I've heard of some restaurants allowing this. It depends upon the value of the item, and what that particular cast member tells you. I wouldn't count on it, but it never hurts to ask.

I've never been able to do it. We have asked cast members, and they have said "no." (Of course, I can't remember which TS now.) But I have heard of other folks on the boards that have been able to do so, so feel free to ask your server!

TS restaurants very very rarely will let you exchange a dessert for an appetizer. Once in a while someone will post that they were allowed to do it, so you can ask, but it would be pixie dust.

If a restaurant has a cheese plate on their dessert menu, they might let you order it as an appetizer.

If you don't want dessert you can ask and some restaurants will offer a substitution, but it will be an item of their choice. Most often it will be a small side salad, a cup of soup or a veggie dish and not an appetizer from the menu.

Last edited:

Thanks, everyone. I guess it will be worth a polite ask. If, it's a no, no big deal:)

It’s a big deal. If Disney actually allowed this the dining plan popularity would surge. They don’t. Ever.

ive read a one off post here and there and never believe them. I read most posts here and have for close to 18 years. This is not a thing. Feel free to ask, but it’s a big fat no.

the only exception, and it is defined in the dining plan literature, is dessert for a cup of soup or other small item. You will never trade a cake slice for shrimp.

if dessert w every TS does not entice you, reconsider a dining plan.

It’s a big deal. If Disney actually allowed this the dining plan popularity would surge. They don’t. Ever.

ive read a one off post here and there and never believe them. I read most posts here and have for close to 18 years. This is not a thing. Feel free to ask, but it’s a big fat no.

the only exception, and it is defined in the dining plan literature, is dessert for a cup of soup or other small item. You will never trade a cake slice for shrimp.

if dessert w every TS does not entice you, reconsider a dining plan.
My apologies for asking original question. I tried searching for the answer on the site, but did not find anything. I promise not to ask to swap out my dessert.

And just so you know, I never dreamt they’d let me trade a slice of cake for shrimp. However I did think perhaps a $9 plate of garlic knots could be substituted for a $9.50 piece of cake! The literature I found said there may be substitutions I wasn’t aware what that might be.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

It’s a common enough question. But the answer is not what anyone wants.

I just don’t want you to think you cN swap ou a similar priced option. Sorry if it sounded harsh.

if they did allow it, many tables would split an app and a dessert. I know we would.

And just so you know, I never dreamt they’d let me trade a slice of cake for shrimp. However I did think perhaps a $9 plate of garlic knots could be substituted for a $9.50 piece of cake! The literature I found said there may be substitutions I wasn’t aware what that might be.
It's not the price. It's a combination of the work required, and the table turnover time.

Work: Desserts typically prepared in bulk (multiple cakes/cupcakes, sheet pan bread pudding, etc.) Chef/baker can do other things while dessert is baking or chilling. Appetizers are prepared individually, á la minute.

Turnover: If Disney were to allow substitutio s, some diners in a party would order appetizers while others would order dessert. People would be using the table longer, creating longer waits.

The thing is, you can't even substitute an appetizer for an entree.

And, OP, if you don't want dessert and an alcoholic drink at nearly every TS meal, you might want to rethink the dining plan. Unless you're going to numerous character buffets. Or perhaps you have free dining.

It’s a common enough question. But the answer is not what anyone wants.

I just don’t want you to think you cN swap ou a similar priced option. Sorry if it sounded harsh.

if they did allow it, many tables would split an app and a dessert. I know we would.

Interesting. They must have gotten more strict recently. We had the DP for trips in '15/16 and we were able to do this for almost every meal. I remember doing it at La Hacienda, Tutto, Rainforest, and Coral Reef.

You must have had the dxdp? This was never a thing w regular dining plan. Only dxdp or if you paid out of pocket.

Interesting. They must have gotten more strict recently.
Nah, i don't think it's anything recent. Most restaurant have been pretty adherent to this specific restriction, over all the years since the basic DDP dropped including appetizers.

I agree with @Pumbaa_, that you had the Deluxe Plan. Three of the restaurants are owned/operated by third parties, not by Disney. Tutto Italia, especially sticks to the Plan restrictions.

Has anyone ordered an appetizer in place of an entree on the DDP+?

For example, I've currently scheduled Jungle Skipper Canteen for lunch one of my days (meeting up with friends, so didn't have a choice on timing). Last year when I ate there for dinner I was on the DDxP, so got an app, entree and dessert at dinner, which was a lot of food but manageable. This year with lunch, I'm not sure I want an entree sized meal mid-day, as the Orinoco Ida's Cachapas would be plenty of food for me at lunch time.

I'm not really worried about the "value" of an app vs. an entree.

TIA!

ETA: So I just realized @Miffy answered my question above...
@Miffy The thing is, you can't even substitute an appetizer for an entree.

Though would love to hear if you've been able to do this by asking the server politely.

Last edited:
It’s not a matter of being nice but the automation. Everything is rung up via pos system. There is no way around what something is.

you could just pay oop for the app you want. Or share w the friend you are meeting.

It’s not a matter of being nice but the automation. Everything is rung up via pos system. There is no way around what something is.

you could just pay oop for the app you want. Or share w the friend you are meeting.

Thanks! That's likely what I'll do, pay OOP. While I love steak, I'm not sure I want something that heavy on a hot July day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!