can you get the GAC only at the parks?

weluvslinkydog

I'm thinking of something orange and white. It's
can my mom get her GAC pass at the POP Century rather than at the parks? thanks! first time we're going with my parents and just hoping to make it as easy as possible for her! :goodvibes

I could be wrong. I don't know who at the hotel woudl be able to issue it.
We always stay at the Swan/Dolphin so we just walk over to Guest Relations at International Gateway and pick ours up even if we are not going into the parks that day. The last two times we got it while we were waiting for our room to get ready.

thanks for the response! so, there are guest relations outside of the parks where they can get them? do you know the exact locations? they'll be there before we will, and they're unfamiliar with the area, so I'd love to give them exact directions. thanks so much! :goodvibes

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQS thread near the top of the board, you will find information about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards). Here's just some real basic info and you will find answers to everything in the FAQs thread.

She can request one at Guest Services in any of the parks; there is nowhere outside of the parks to get one. At Epcot, the main Guest Services is near Spaceship Earth (the location is marked on the park maps). There are smaller ones just outside of Epcot'e entrance and apparently at International Gateway (just inside the entrance to Epcot from the Boardwalk area).

She will need to explain what her needs are (not her diagnosis, because people with the same diagnosis may have very different needs).
If her needs are mostly "Endurance Concerns" (things like fatigue, concern about walking or standing in line, etc.), it will be recommended that she use either a wheelchair or ECV because the amount of time and distance spent in line is a very small portion of the time in the parks.
Most people who are using wheelchairs or ECVs don't need a GAC (unless they have other needs besides endurance or need for an accessible entrance).

I didn't see on there about transferring from the wheelchair to the ride...particularly if it is a moving car. Will they slow or stop the moving car without a GAC? Maybe we don't need one since she will be in a wheelchair? thanks so much!

weluvslinkydog said:
I didn't see on there about transferring from the wheelchair to the ride...particularly if it is a moving car. Will they slow or stop the moving car without a GAC? Maybe we don't need one since she will be in a wheelchair? thanks so much!
In one of the other parts in the FAQs thread, there are some links about boarding rides, specifically those with moving walkways.
If she did not have a wheelchair or ECV and needed the moving walkway stopped, then she would need a GAC. With a wheelchair or ECV, she doesn't need a GAC.
With a wheelchair, she will be boarding those moving walkway attractions at the exit (usually after waiting in the regular line). The CMs can't physically assist her to board, but they can slow or stop the moving walkway, steady her wheelchair and move the wheelchair out of the way after she has boarded. They usually slow the moving walkway for boarding by guests traveling with wheelchairs or ECVs, unless you tell them you need it stopped. If she needs it slowed more or stopped, it's up to her to tell them.

Guest Relations Locations:

AK: Outside the park: To the left of the main row of turnstyles, if you're facing the turnstyles.
Inside the park: To the right of the main row of turnstyles, if you're facing the turnstyles.

Epcot: Outside the park: International Gateway
Outside the park: To the right of the main row of turnstyles, if you're facing the turnstyles
Inside the park: "Under Mickey's Elbow" (roughly)

MK: Outside the park: To the right of the main row of turnstyles, if facing the turnstyles
Inside the park: City Hall ... go under the train station, it's on the left as you're facing the castle, before you get to Main Street.

MGM: Outside the park: Facing the main row of turnstyles, turn left. Guest Relations is between the gift shop and the Kennel
Inside the park: To the right of the main row of turnstyles, if facing the turnstyles.

DTD: two locations, I'm not exactly sure where either one of them is, I'm also not sure whether or not DTD Guest Relations can issue GAC's

All of the locations (with the possible exception of the 2 DTD locations) can issue a GAC. This being said, a lot of times, the folks outside the park will be rather busy with ticket issues, and it might be easier to go to the inside GR location for GAC questions.

SyracuseWolvrine said:
DTD: two locations, I'm not exactly sure where either one of them is, I'm also not sure whether or not DTD Guest Relations can issue GAC's

All of the locations (with the possible exception of the 2 DTD locations) can issue a GAC. This being said, a lot of times, the folks outside the park will be rather busy with ticket issues, and it might be easier to go to the inside GR location for GAC questions.
I'm almost positive people have posted that they asked at DTD, but were told they could not issue GACs there and the person would have to go to one of the parks.

Other than Epcot, we have also noticed that the Guest Relations that are right outside of the parks are quite busy with ticket issues, so unless you are not planning on going into a park that day and want to check into a GAC, I would probably not recommend going there. (They handle a lot of ticket problems that need to be taken care of before entering a park there, which can be pretty time consuming).

SyracuseWolvrine said:
Guest Relations Locations:

AK: Outside the park: To the left of the main row of turnstyles, if you're facing the turnstyles.
Inside the park: To the right of the main row of turnstyles, if you're facing the turnstyles.

Epcot: Outside the park: International Gateway
Outside the park: To the right of the main row of turnstyles, if you're facing the turnstyles
Inside the park: "Under Mickey's Elbow" (roughly)

MK: Outside the park: To the right of the main row of turnstyles, if facing the turnstyles
Inside the park: City Hall ... go under the train station, it's on the left as you're facing the castle, before you get to Main Street.

MGM: Outside the park: Facing the main row of turnstyles, turn left. Guest Relations is between the gift shop and the Kennel
Inside the park: To the right of the main row of turnstyles, if facing the turnstyles.

Thanks! It's worth a shot, they'll be there all day Sat. and not going to the parks yet, so they'll have the time rather than waiting to get it until the morning we go to MK! Thanks!! :goodvibes

weluvslinkydog said:
Thanks! It's worth a shot, they'll be there all day Sat. and not going to the parks yet, so they'll have the time rather than waiting to get it until the morning we go to MK! Thanks!! :goodvibes
If they are not planning on going into the parks, the easiest park to get to would be taking the bus to MK or MGM since the bus leaves you off quite close to the entrance. MK's Guest Relations is likely to be the busiest. Epcot's bus stop is quite a walk, but it is shaded, pretty and there are benches along the way to stop and rest.
Another thing to keep in mind is that she doesn't have to get a GAC the first day; she can go in at any time during your vacation and request one. If she is unsure about her needs, it's easier to be able to go to Guest Relations and say "I've been here a few days and I'm having -------- problem while waiting in lines."

Unless she has needs that are not taken care of by having a wheelchair or ECV in lines with her, she probably will not need a GAC at all. There are a few attractions that require a transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair (Pirates is one), but they have wheelchairs at the entrance to transfer to. Otherwise, she will be able to stat right in the wheelchair or ECV until boarding; we actually bring DD's wheelchair up within a few feet of the ride car and if she could transfer herself, we could bring the wheelchair within a few inches of most ride cars. She has many other issues besides mobility that she does need a GAC for, but we don't need to use the GAC for her mobility related needs.

You could all go over to the Boardwalk for lunch or dinner, then take the shuttle boat over to the International Gateway entrance at Epcot. We have never encountered a line there.

There is no true "Guest Services" location at the International Gateway. All there are are two ticket booths, and normally only one of them is staffed. There is also a stroller/wheelchair/EV rental and a shop.

At the major parks the greeters, ticket sellers (referred to as Vacation Planners by Disney) and Guest Services are three different groups of people with very little cross training.

Also, the Guest Services outside Epcot's main entrance not only deals with ticket problems, but they are the only location on property where people can pick up a DDE card it they ordered one too late for it to be received at home prior to their trip.

Cheshire Figment said:
There is no true "Guest Services" location at the International Gateway. All there are are two ticket booths, and normally only one of them is staffed. There is also a stroller/wheelchair/EV rental and a shop.

That is true there is no guest services but the ticket booth can issue GAC cards. That is where we got our GAC card on our last two trips. One time we were going into the parks; the other time we were going in the next day and it didn't seem to be a problem.

Has anyone actually been able to go to a guest assistance window outside the park gates and get the GAC? I'm thinking we could do that our first evening and not have to wqait in the early am line. Anyone? Thanks!!!

Cheshire Figment said:

At the major parks the greeters, ticket sellers (referred to as Vacation Planners by Disney) and Guest Services are three different groups of people with very little cross training.

The last time I was there, the ticket booths outside the International Gateway entrance are staffed by Guest Relations cast members, not Vacation Planner cast members. (they were wearing the plaid and blue Guest Relations outfit, not the white shirt and vest that the vacation planners wear at Epcot)

Yes, unless something changed VERY recently, International Gateway "ticket" booth is staffed by Guest Relations. So, from experience (spent july 4th 2003 working at that booth... alone!), around dinner time, that booth can get pretty busy with conventionneers and resort guests who just arrived. Remember... 2 people in front of you at Guest Relations can mean a lot of time... Thank you for your patience!

We did get one outside the main entrance of MK to the right......last time we got at GR inside and it was a LONG line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter