Can you hear me phone scam

jiminyC_fan

DIS Veteran
I just let my guard down. I usually hang up on numbers that I don't recognized but I am waiting for a call from an out of state pharmacy and I don't have their number so I am answering all calls. Of course, today is the day that I got a call "can you hear me" and I answered YES! I am so angry at myself. Does anyone have any experience with this or anything to help calm my nerves?

What are you nervous about? You answered a call from a telemarketer/spambot. Annoying but not the end of the world, presuming you didn't give them any personal info.

Having a recording of you saying "yes" isn't really good for anything. This is a scam without a purpose at the moment. What do you think will happen? I don't know of a single system that can take a voice print that short and do anything with it.

It's been on the news a lot for a couple of years and of course just today it was on a local news AFTER I said yes making me more upset. https://kdvr.com/2019/02/20/there-w...5Dh0eU_LzQnCAazmxDi_tm0XvG08CALZ69Fo8Tnbodc7U I can't figure out what they can do with a simple yes either but they always warn you to hang up. I would hope any business would be wise enough to ask for more info. I guess I am more nervous because my CC was just used fraudulently and recently got my new one. Thanks CarolAnn. I never thought about snopes. I will just pray that life will go on as usual. LOL

I just let my guard down. I usually hang up on numbers that I don't recognized but I am waiting for a call from an out of state pharmacy and I don't have their number so I am answering all calls. Of course, today is the day that I got a call "can you hear me" and I answered YES! I am so angry at myself. Does anyone have any experience with this or anything to help calm my nerves?

Nobody can do anything with a simple "yes" These days it's more of a crank call designed to take advantage of the hysteria around it. But they can't do anything with it unless they already have a ton of your personal information like a credit card number or the like. And if they had all that, they don't need a yes out of you to make charges. Stores and the like don't do voice print ID. I could see they might want your voice print if you're with the Impossible Missions Force or something.

Last edited:

The same thing could be accomplished by standing next to you at a McDonalds, CVS, Target and get a recording if saying “yes” to a would you like fries with that? Even having a random person say he’s couldn’t be tracked and verified on a recording. It’s a real disservice that the news is even covering this since there is no scam.

The same thing could be accomplished by standing next to you at a McDonalds, CVS, Target and get a recording if saying “yes” to a would you like fries with that? Even having a random person say he’s couldn’t be tracked and verified on a recording. It’s a real disservice that the news is even covering this since there is no scam.
I remember when this was a thing on the news a few years ago, and I was wondering how they would do anything with a recording of me saying "yes." I have ID theft insurance and just don't worry about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!