Can you help plan a Quebec City visit?

Narnia_girl

He's not a tame lion, but he is good.
We are in the midwest USA, flying into Portland, ME in early June. Our traveling group includes myself, my husband and our 18-yr. daughter. (Side note, her graduation trip is a Disney Cruise but we postponed that until January so this is a bit of a substitute for the summer)

These are our plans and I would appreciate any suggestions. Mainly I don't want to have to backtrack a bunch because we missed something. I've used Google maps a lot, but that doesn't show elevation much and I know QBC is hilly. We will also try to stay flexible to deal with weather changes, etc..

DAY ONE
We will drive up to Quebec City on a Sunday. I expect to arrive in early afternoon and enter via the Quebec-Levis ferry.
Fountaine de Tourny
La Citadelle
Promenade de Gouverneurs
Terrasse Dufferin
Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac

DAY TWO
Morrin Centre
Notre Dame Basilica Cathedral
Quebec City Mural
Royale Place
Place de Canotiers
Quartier petit Champlain

DAY THREE
Montmorency Falls
Musee de Civilasation (free on Tuesdays)
Plains of Abraham
Jeanne d'Arc Garden
leave for Bar Harbor, ME

Any changes we should make to our plans? Anything else we should add?
We will probably not go up in the observatory or visit the Beaux Arts Museum

Thank you! (and forgive my intermingling of French/English :joker: )

I have to ask, where are you staying? Quebec City is a popular summertime destination, and there are lots of school trips to QC, so you should really get your reservations firmed up. Also, there are issues with parking in the old city.

We toured Quebec City a few years ago. I would recommend doing a walking tour of the city instead of touring a lot of the sites yourself. The tour guides give you a lot of interesting history and the walk isn't too strenuous. We did the walking tour on day 1 and then walked up the 300 odd steps to the top of fort (the Citadelle) from Chateau Frontenac. We then walked on top of the wall of the walled city to our hotel at the north end of the walled part of the city.

Once you've done the walking tour you can decide what to do on Day 2. There is a great tour of the Citadelle and the Plains of Abraham are right next door. Day 3 tour the museum then definitely go to the falls then leave for Bar Harbor.

If you haven't decided on a hotel I highly recommend the one we stayed in. It's just outside the walled city but withing walking distance of everything you could want to do in the city. (Hotel Palace Royal Centr-ville) We quite literally arrived parked the car and walked everywhere for three days.

I have to ask, where are you staying? Quebec City is a popular summertime destination, and there are lots of school trips to QC, so you should really get your reservations firmed up. Also, there are issues with parking in the old city.

We haven't decided yet, but are trying to firm that up soon. Originally I was looking at Airbnb, but so many have limited parking and I don't really plan on using a kitchen--we want to eat all the good food the city has to offer. So we'll book a hotel. Thanks for the reminder to get busy on a place to stay!

We toured Quebec City a few years ago. I would recommend doing a walking tour of the city instead of touring a lot of the sites yourself. The tour guides give you a lot of interesting history and the walk isn't too strenuous. We did the walking tour on day 1 and then walked up the 300 odd steps to the top of fort (the Citadelle) from Chateau Frontenac. We then walked on top of the wall of the walled city to our hotel at the north end of the walled part of the city.

Once you've done the walking tour you can decide what to do on Day 2. There is a great tour of the Citadelle and the Plains of Abraham are right next door. Day 3 tour the museum then definitely go to the falls then leave for Bar Harbor.

If you haven't decided on a hotel I highly recommend the one we stayed in. It's just outside the walled city but withing walking distance of everything you could want to do in the city. (Hotel Palace Royal Centr-ville) We quite literally arrived parked the car and walked everywhere for three days.

Thanks for the information and the hotel suggestion! I'm looking into them right now!

If you are arriving in the early afternoon, I would switch touring of the Citadelle to Day 2, as the Citadelle closes at 5 pm. You can easily spend several hours there. I would also add a visit to Ile d’Orleans to your itinerary, but I’m a foodie and I find it appealing.

I would look at leaving your car outside of the city at the ferry terminal, parking is bad and expensive in the old part and everything is within walking distance (the old part of the city).

Food is expensive so be prepared for that, our cheapest dinner there was $90 for 2 and the most expensive was almost $500.

There are good food tours you should look, any tour will help you get your bearing straight and they are fun (and are in English if needed). If you daughter is 18 I would add a beer tour to the list as they are allowed to drink in QC and there are a LOT of very good micro breweries in the city.

Book your hotel early. It is a wonderful city to relax and wander, I would not plan so much.

When we went to Quebec a few years ago we stayed outside the city in Levis and loved it. It was a lot cheaper and the ferry ride in is amazing. It was so nice to not worry about having to drive in the city as well. Have a great time!

Quebec City is my favourite city in the world (New Orleans is #2). On our most recent trip a few years ago, we were lucky enough to stay at Chateau Frontenac. It was heavenly! They do tours of the hotel throughout the day if you are interested.

Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions!

We have reservations at the Delta Hotel by Marriott. Booked with Rapid Rewards so we will receive 5,000 RR points after the stay. The parking is an additional $27.50 per day and they are charging me $53.07 USD for an extra person. I don't quite understand that extra fee as we are not on the breakfast package.

I would look at leaving your car outside of the city at the ferry terminal, parking is bad and expensive in the old part and everything is within walking distance (the old part of the city).

Food is expensive so be prepared for that, our cheapest dinner there was $90 for 2 and the most expensive was almost $500.

There are good food tours you should look, any tour will help you get your bearing straight and they are fun (and are in English if needed). If you daughter is 18 I would add a beer tour to the list as they are allowed to drink in QC and there are a LOT of very good micro breweries in the city.

Book your hotel early. It is a wonderful city to relax and wander, I would not plan so much.

Yikes on the food prices!!
Wondering if we can park our rental car at the Levis ferry terminal for three days/nights? I can't find the exact fee but someone on some forum said $6? I don't know if that is current. If we did this we would need an Uber/taxi in Quebec City to haul our luggage to our hotel, and back again when we go home.

When we went to Quebec a few years ago we stayed outside the city in Levis and loved it. It was a lot cheaper and the ferry ride in is amazing. It was so nice to not worry about having to drive in the city as well. Have a great time!

I'm wondering if we should do this. Was it a hassle to go back and forth each day? Also, if we kept our car on the Levis side, any idea if we can get a bus to Montmorency Falls?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!