Can you or your children diagram a sentence?

Probably not. And I'm a teacher. Don't know why I or my children would need to. DD19 is a successful college sophomore who excels at writing without this skill.

I've noticed that, too, but am more concerned that history and government are now rarely being taught in elementary school.

These changes are due to standardized testing, btw. History, government, and sentence diagramming are not on elementary standardized tests.

I spent my entire 7th grade diagramming sentences. I didn't mind it.

My kids were never taught to diagram in school, but I've touched on it at home with them, as well.

I could diagram a simple sentence. Once I get past the verb/noun/adverb parts I'm lost.

Ditto. Due to having my English class moved my sophomore year of English (when they taught advanced diagramming), I never learned how to do it the way shown in the NPR link. My original teacher planned to teach it in October; the class was moved in mid-September and my new teacher had already covered the topic. I can identify subject and object, verb/noun/adverb, but that's about it.

Importantly, the lack of this knowledge has never once impacted my life.

Nope. For some reason, I've always had problems with this. I remember learning about it in school, but it just never "stuck" for some reason.

I'm stronger in subjects like statistics or civics/American government and history. English? Not so much! ;)

Last edited:
I can! I teach 6th, 7th and 8th grade Language Arts at a Catholic K-8 school. The kids start diagramming in 3rd grade. Gerunds, participles, infinitives, prepositions, clauses...I can diagram them all and so can my students.

We never really learned officially, but I had a teacher in jr. high who would threaten to make us spend the entire period diagramming sentences as punishment for misbehavior. We only did it a few times, so I totally don't remember how.

I did it in college----I had to learn it in order to become an English teacher in my state. It was a weird leftover: it was no longer required to be taught in k-12, but still in the requirements of things the teachers had to learn to be certified. I recall our professor telling us we'd never use it again and it would eventually be dropped from the certification requirements.

MY kids are 19 and 17 and have never been taught this.

I think it is kind of fun and can be a good way to understand grammar, but there are other methods which work as well. I don'T really bemoan the loss of this particular thing (though I had fun doing it).

Last edited:
I remember a couple of teachers in my school showing examples of it, but I don't think the students practiced it/had to learn it. I think it's kind of interesting, though.

I learned it as a kid. I would struggle with it now; I don't know a preposition from a participle. But I write well. I know what sounds right, though I can't always give you the technical reason for one word choice over another.

My husband teaches English. I imagine he could.

My kids would probably not have a clue. I don't think it's something they've ever been exposed to.

Nope, and I used to work as a freelance editor. It wasn't taught in my school system, and I finished school over a decade ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter