Can you park a power chair if you need to walk a bit

Robindianne

DIS Veteran
My DH suffers from chronic pain of unknown (so far) cause. His Dr. says to use a power chair at the World, but wants him to walk a bit when he can. Is there somewhere to park a chair in the parks, like at a ride, with strollers? I think he could walk for about 20 to 30 minutes a few times each day - although vibration and movement makes it worse and who knows if the chair will cause vibration. Anyway, do I need to drive it myself when he needs to walk? What do others do?

Thanks for the help,
from a new-to-disablities wife

Well I am a CM, but to answer your question, yes, you could leave it for a bit if you wanted to. I'd also like to add that you need to remove all personal belongings and take the key w/ you! :thumbsup2
The best example I can give is someone riding Astro Orbiter and then going onto TTA afterwards. Since you can't take the powerchair upstairs to Astro they'd park it downstairs (we have wheelchairs you can use while in the queue and waiting upstairs to get on the ride). After their ride on Astro they'd walk over to TTA and pick up the powerchair/ECV afterwards.
Other parks might be more difficult, but MKs easy as you could park it in each land and let him walk around for a bit, then pick it up as you head to next land. :)
Get a note from your Doctor and inquire about a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Relations. Sometimes the queues can't accommodate the powerchair and they have alternate entrances you can use - Guest Assistance Card helps volumes here. Space Mountain is a great example. You have to transfer to a wheelchair and use FP entrance, but you get a special pass to come back if you are in a wheelchair since wheelchairs can't go down the stairs in the standby queue... Well I mean, they can, but it wouldn't be pretty. ;)}

Good Luck!

Well I am a CM, but to answer your question, yes, you could leave it for a bit if you wanted to. I'd also like to add that you need to remove all personal belongings and take the key w/ you! :thumbsup2
The best example I can give is someone riding Astro Orbiter and then going onto TTA afterwards. Since you can't take the powerchair upstairs to Astro they'd park it downstairs (we have wheelchairs you can use while in the queue and waiting upstairs to get on the ride). After their ride on Astro they'd walk over to TTA and pick up the powerchair/ECV afterwards.
Other parks might be more difficult, but MKs easy as you could park it in each land and let him walk around for a bit, then pick it up as you head to next land. :)
Get a note from your Doctor and inquire about a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Relations. Sometimes the queues can't accommodate the powerchair and they have alternate entrances you can use - Guest Assistance Card helps volumes here. Space Mountain is a great example. You have to transfer to a wheelchair and use FP entrance, but you get a special pass to come back if you are in a wheelchair since wheelchairs can't go down the stairs in the standby queue... Well I mean, they can, but it wouldn't be pretty. ;)}

Good Luck!
you do not need a doctors note to obtain a GAC. In fact under the ADA they are not allowed to ask for one. You need to be able to articulate your needs. If your need is the ecv only, you don't even need the GAC because the ECV is a visible indication of your need. Most lines are mainstreamed so you would not need an alternative entrance. On those with an alternative entrance the wait may be longer than the standby line wait.

you do not need a doctors note to obtain a GAC. In fact under the ADA they are not allowed to ask for one. You need to be able to articulate your needs. If your need is the ecv only, you don't even need the GAC because the ECV is a visible indication of your need. Most lines are mainstreamed so you would not need an alternative entrance. On those with an alternative entrance the wait may be longer than the standby line wait.

I always was told it was helpful to have one, just in case, and it was always my understanding if you have your own ECV/power wheelchair it's a bit different. Maybe I'm wrong. :confused3

I was using my experience at Astro where an ECV is not really able to get through the line (at least not one of Disney's anyway...), and at the least he'd have to transfer to a chair to make it through the line. As with space, where I will admit the GAC isn't necessary (with it or not, you'll get the pass to come back w/ the equivalent wait time).

I wasn't saying you get on quicker or anything like that. Best thing to do is ask the greeter at every attraction what to do. I'm sorry for any confusion I caused, it was kinda late when I typed this so I think I got some of my wires crossed. :confused3 I was trying to say for the times when he would be walking around the GAC might be useful.

When I was in the Land two days ago, I saw many ECV and wheelchairs parked just inside of the pavillion when you enter before you either go left or right. I also noticed a few other places people getting off their ecv's and walking into an attraction, leaving the ecv at the stroller parking area, and one woman getting off the ecv to use the restroom. It is totally doable, but I totally agree with taking any valuables and the key.

When I was in the Land two days ago, I saw many ECV and wheelchairs parked just inside of the pavillion when you enter before you either go left or right. I also noticed a few other places people getting off their ecv's and walking into an attraction, leaving the ecv at the stroller parking area, and one woman getting off the ecv to use the restroom. It is totally doable, but I totally agree with taking any valuables and the key.

The land is different from most you have to take the elevator and if the crowds are big the wait for the elevator can be very long so many people even if it's difficult will walk instead of waiting

I'll be renting an ecv for our nov 2012 trip, but it's totally unpredictable if and how much I'll need it. I have fibromyalgia which can make walking/standing hard, plus I'm just 2 years out from a full ankle reconstruction. I say 2 years because my recovery time was 18 to 24 months, but I had to have 2 of the 4 screws they put in taken out so that backed me up to 20 to 26 months recovery. Some days it hurts so bad I can't hardly walk for 5 minutes, others I only slightly notice it. Dr found I have a completley new problem in the heal which could require even more surgery. Grrr.

Anyway couple the 2 and who knows what I'll be able to do in WDW...

Long story short, I plan on letting Guest Relations know at each park that I may be leaving my ecv parked for extended periods of time and asking them where they'd prefer I do that in various sections of the park. I am also going to make a sign and laminate it, that I can tie to the handle bar that explains that I'm out stretching my legs with Mickey or something cute like that and the ecv has not been abanonded just in case CM's start wondering why it's been sitting for awhile.

My DH suffers from chronic pain of unknown (so far) cause. His Dr. says to use a power chair at the World, but wants him to walk a bit when he can. Is there somewhere to park a chair in the parks, like at a ride, with strollers? I think he could walk for about 20 to 30 minutes a few times each day - although vibration and movement makes it worse and who knows if the chair will cause vibration. Anyway, do I need to drive it myself when he needs to walk? What do others do?

Thanks for the help,
from a new-to-disablities wife

Is he going to be using a power chair or scooter. If it's a scooter then he can take the key with him. I've never seen a key on a power chair. I wouldn't leave anything that someone could ride off with.

[/QUOTE]
Long story short, I plan on letting Guest Relations know at each park that I may be leaving my ecv parked for extended periods of time and asking them where they'd prefer I do that in various sections of the park. I am also going to make a sign and laminate it, that I can tie to the handle bar that explains that I'm out stretching my legs with Mickey or something cute like that and the ecv has not been abanonded just in case CM's start wondering why it's been sitting for awhile.[/QUOTE]

This is similar to my circumstances, I have chronic disc problems in my back, I can walk but standing for long periods of time causes great pain and I could prob manage one day without an ecv but 14 days is really a no go situation. The sign is a good idea, we will have two as my sister who is coming with us will be using one as well as she has cfs, again can walk but not for long periods.

Good tips!Thanks for all the great replies. He'll be in a power chair. I will check in with guest services at each park, and leave a sign (and no valuables nor key, thank you :). Maybe get a GAC card and Dr. note JIC. Better safe than worry. (I'm a worrier, whether or not I need to).

Good tips!Thanks for all the great replies. He'll be in a power chair. I will check in with guest services at each park, and leave a sign (and no valuables nor key, thank you :). Maybe get a GAC card and Dr. note JIC. Better safe than worry. (I'm a worrier, whether or not I need to).
1. When you say "power chair" are you actually talking about a power chair which is similar to a wheelchair and driven/steered by use of a joy stick controller, or are you talking about an ECV/Scooter which has three or four wheels and uses a tiller in front to steer with a lever as throttle?

Most of the off-site vendors, as well as WDW, do not rent power chairs; only wheelchairs or ECVs.

2. The normal and official response from Guest Relations related to any stamina and/or mobility problem is the suggestion that a wheelchair or ECV be rented. A GAC is only given if there are other invisible disabilities, such as needing to stay out of the sun, or special seating due to poor hearing or vision. Use of a wheelchair, ECV, cane, or service animal is an automatic indication to all attraction hosts that the person has special needs.

3. In Guest Relations they are not allowed to ask for a doctor's note, and really don't even want to read one. Multiple reasons (besides illegal to ask). There is no way to tell if the note is from a legitimate doctor. More often the doctors not will give a diagnoses rather than needs, most diagnoses can have different needs. And any note asking fro Front Of The Line access will be ignored.

Unless your DH has a power chair at home, rental companies will not rent to him. They are much more difficult than an ECV to drive. If he has one at home, you will need to know the specs to tell the rental company so they can suitably fit him.

The land is different from most you have to take the elevator and if the crowds are big the wait for the elevator can be very long so many people even if it's difficult will walk instead of waiting

Good to know. I am in a situation where I may need mobility assistance in the form of an ecv in the future. I wouldn't need it for standing in line but from attraction to attraction. I was keeping an eye open for what others did in this situation and saw many in the Land.

Good to know. I am in a situation where I may need mobility assistance in the form of an ecv in the future. I wouldn't need it for standing in line but from attraction to attraction. I was keeping an eye open for what others did in this situation and saw many in the Land.

I have MS and so cannot stand long at all so I need the scooter in line as well. but when I have to transfer to a wheel chair say at Pirates in MK I just take the key and it is parked. I have never had anything stolen in all my trips (60) not that it cannot happen and apparently does per this board but so far we been lucky :worship: I rent from walkers so that the scooter is at the resort when I arrive on magical express and I have it to get on the buses and into the parks as that is a long walk from buses to entrances. I have the scooter until day I leave then walkers rentals pick it up. Is much cheaper this way as well. On the Guest assit card I have not seen where it helps with anything as for one they do not ask for it ---ever--and they see I am on the scooter so I do not even get one anymore.:thumbsup2

Unless your DH has a power chair at home, rental companies will not rent to him. They are much more difficult than an ECV to drive. If he has one at home, you will need to know the specs to tell the rental company so they can suitably fit him.

It's called a Jazzy Electric Wheelchair, from Walker Mobility.

It's called a Jazzy Electric Wheelchair, from Walker Mobility.
Have you or he driven a power wheelchair before (since you were talking about driving it while he walks)?

An ECV is relatively easy to drive because you control the speed with a throttle and control the turning with a yoke, similar to a bicycle.
It does take a little practice, but most people pick it up pretty quickly by practicing in a non-crowded spot for a few minutes.

The Jazzy is a power wheelchair and is driven with a joystick, which controls the speed, direction (forward and back) and turning all with the same joystick. It does take much more practice to learn to drive one and, as others posted, most companies will only rent one to someone who is familiar with and drives one at home.
I would not leave a power wheelchair because very few brands/models have keys. For most, anyone who knows where the power switch is located could turn it on and take it for a joyride.

As was posted, guests don’t need a Guest Assistance Card to use a wheelchair or ECV in lines or attractions.
If he will be walking into attractions, there are some attractions with stair or moving walkways. With a wheelchair, ECV or other mobility device, the guest would bypass those and board in an accessible place. Someone walking in would need to use a Guest Assistance Card to avoid those areas. You need to be aware that some of the lines are a much longer walk than you might think. For example, Soarin’ and Pirates both have lines that are longer than 1/4 mile.

There is more information about Guest Assistance Cards in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature to get there. THere is also some information that might be helpful in terms of boarding rides. There is also information about attractions where guests without a mobility device would need to stand.

Have you or he driven a power wheelchair before (since you were talking about driving it while he walks)?

An ECV is relatively easy to drive because you control the speed with a throttle and control the turning with a yoke, similar to a bicycle.
It does take a little practice, but most people pick it up pretty quickly by practicing in a non-crowded spot for a few minutes.

The Jazzy is a power wheelchair and is driven with a joystick, which controls the speed, direction (forward and back) and turning all with the same joystick. It does take much more practice to learn to drive one and, as others posted, most companies will only rent one to someone who is familiar with and drives one at home.
I would not leave a power wheelchair because very few brands/models have keys. For most, anyone who knows where the power switch is located could turn it on and take it for a joyride.

I haven't driven one and am lousy with joysticks. DH hasn't driven one but will practice here locally before we leave and at the resort before going to the parks. I suppose if it doesn't have a key we'll make sure to park with the pack of scooters outside rides.

I sure appreciate the ideas you've all posted. Gives us much to plan and think about to make sure we have a nice time.
Thanks!

I haven't driven one and am lousy with joysticks. DH hasn't driven one but will practice here locally before we leave and at the resort before going to the parks. I suppose if it doesn't have a key we'll make sure to park with the pack of scooters outside rides.

I sure appreciate the ideas you've all posted. Gives us much to plan and think about to make sure we have a nice time.
Thanks!
I added some things to my post while you were posting.

Power wheelchairs do look much easier to drive than they actually are, so have him practice a lot at home.
He will need to be comfortable driving forward and backing up, turning in both directions while going forward and backwards.
There will be a slider or switch that allows some control of the speed, turtle is slow and rabbit is fast. Remember - turtle is your friend.

There is more information about driving a power wheelchair in the disABILITIES FAQs thread (regarding differences between power wheelchairs and ECVs). I’m not sure why he is choosing to use a power wheelchair, but if he has use of both hands, he may want to test out an ECV and see which would work best for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter