Can you read Music

I'm not sure I could anymore. I played flute from 5th grade through my junior year of high school, but stupidly I sold my flute and all the music I had collected over the years at our first garage sale a year after we were married. One of my biggest regrets. I so wish I had them back.

I don't know if I could play still, if I had a flute in my hands.

Even in school when I could easily read the music and play the song, I never could hum the tone of the notes in my head until after I had played it.

DH grew up Mennonite, and learned how to read shape note music.

Oh no, you mean all these decades I had it wrong? I thought it was “every good boy deserves fudge”! Ha ha!
Yep, that was what I remembered as well.
As for reading music? Nope, not really. I have a terrific ear...play something for me a few times and I'll sing it. I can look at music, and tell pretty much what the notes are doing, if there's a sharp or a flat and where that goes, and timing. But, don't ask me which note it is or what key. I'm clueless!!!! The issue for me is when my director plays something a bit differently than the way it's written. Everyone else is adhering to the actual music and note valuation, while I'm listening to what the director is playing, so I'm in time with her, while others are a beat behind or ahead. Drives everyone nuts when she does that!!!!

Yes. I play flute and piccolo in church plus a little bit of oboe. I regularly have to read both treble and bass clefs and transpose keys on sight. I can also read tenor clef if I concentrate.

Yes. I had piano lessons as a small child, played saxophone for a little while in middle school, and now I am in the church's bell choir.

I can read music but it's been a while. At one point I was going to study for a degree in music so I was pretty into it.

ETA Music joke: I'm a fermata, hold me.:jester:

Last edited:
I'm not sure I could anymore. I played flute from 5th grade through my junior year of high school, but stupidly I sold my flute and all the music I had collected over the years at our first garage sale a year after we were married. One of my biggest regrets. I so wish I had them back.

I don't know if I could play still, if I had a flute in my hands.

Even in school when I could easily read the music and play the song, I never could hum the tone of the notes in my head until after I had played it.

DH grew up Mennonite, and learned how to read shape note music.

I bet you could. It's like riding a bike. After I dropped clarinet for several years it wasn't hard to pick back up, except I don't have the lip muscle stamina I used to back in high school :)

I was in band in high school, so I learned to read music but I still had to write the letters on the sheet because I couldn’t read and play at the same time.
My dd was taking piano lessons and I was trying to help her practice, but because I never learned the piano, I struggle helping her as far as hand placement on the keys.

LOL! so hard with lol right now...

Middle of the night post...I don't even remember writing it and I'm not myself sure what I was trying to say, or why I was thinking of curtains for that matter. My DH said I got up for a bit, went downstairs, came back up and told him I didn't like the dog using the guest towels in the bathroom down there, turned on my laptop and was up for a good bit. I feel like I slept through the night. Been a while since I did any weird sleep stuff. No, I don't take sleep aids.

I should probably go check my phone too. Sometimes I sleep text...it's like drunk texting but without the fun, or the hangovers.

That's so crazy it's almost unbelievable. You should get that checked out.

Last edited:
Oh aye. Thankfully as a baritone I was used to reading music and performing in harmonies.

nope, I anit got a clue, but if I hear it, I could tell you if what you wrote is any good

Can't read a note, BUT I was in special ensembles in High School. I was also in a group as an adult that cut a cd and sang on tv. I only have to hear the notes and I can sing them. Sometimes I just "get" them as I sing them. Sounds dumb, but it worked for me when I was into singing.
Funny thing, no one ever suspected that I could not read a note.

i used to, i was in a chorus class in middle school

nowadays i could probably figure out the timings per note and stuff, i just don't know what letters go to what

One of my former skills I have forgotten.

How can you forget how to read music? Reading it is no problem, retaining the ability to PLAY it or sight sing it is my issue!:charac2:

Oh no, you mean all these decades I had it wrong? I thought it was “every good boy deserves fudge”! Ha ha!

I always say deserves fudge and that's how I taught it as well. "Does fine" is the alternate wording in my world!:teacher: I like it because you just change it around for "good boys deserve fudge always." (Actually I like "Good burritos don't fall apart" best for that one!)

Last edited:
I hope I can read music. I've been teaching instrumental music in a middle school for almost 30 years. I hope I haven't been making things up as I go. ;)

So many of you have the lines of the treble clef, what about the spaces? What word does the spaces of the treble clef spell?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!