Can you share a place you couldnt wait to eat but was a huge letdown

BOG Dinner- a group of 4 of us went on Wednesday night (11/21)... the food wasn't bad (actually, the Filet Mignon was surprisingly excellent!), but the service and experience was not good at all. They sat us in the "music box" room, which is essentially a fancy cafeteria. The servers at BOG "auctioned off" our plates and drinks, meaning a random server would come to the table and announce, "I have a Coke Zero here- who ordered this? Who gets the iced tea?" followed by "I have a French Onion soup here for someone at this table.... etc." Refills on drinks and the clearing of empty plates took a long time. One of the servers plopped down a lobster bisque in front of me, which I didn't order, and his response was "but you're Seat #1, and according to this order, Seat #1 ordered the lobster bisque." [sigh]

I'm not sure if we just over-hyped the experience in our heads, but we are in no rush to go back there! :(

BOG Dinner- a group of 4 of us went on Wednesday night (11/21)... the food wasn't bad (actually, the Filet Mignon was surprisingly excellent!), but the service and experience was not good at all. They sat us in the "music box" room, which is essentially a fancy cafeteria. The servers at BOG "auctioned off" our plates and drinks, meaning a random server would come to the table and announce, "I have a Coke Zero here- who ordered this? Who gets the iced tea?" followed by "I have a French Onion soup here for someone at this table.... etc." Refills on drinks and the clearing of empty plates took a long time. One of the servers plopped down a lobster bisque in front of me, which I didn't order, and his response was "but you're Seat #1, and according to this order, Seat #1 ordered the lobster bisque." [sigh]

I'm not sure if we just over-hyped the experience in our heads, but we are in no rush to go back there! :(

That's unfortunate about the service! We were there on Tuesday 11/20, our first visit since the new menu/signature dining change. The French onion soup is still too salty (ugh) but I was pleasantly surprised by the rest of the food - the steak and the lamb were highly recommended, and they were awesome. My 2yo (who ate "free" off our plates) ate 2.5 of my 4 lamb chops. Before the new menu, I felt like everything was too salty; now it's only the French onion soup... :teeth:

That's unfortunate about the service! We were there on Tuesday 11/20, our first visit since the new menu/signature dining change. The French onion soup is still too salty (ugh) but I was pleasantly surprised by the rest of the food - the steak and the lamb were highly recommended, and they were awesome. My 2yo (who ate "free" off our plates) ate 2.5 of my 4 lamb chops. Before the new menu, I felt like everything was too salty; now it's only the French onion soup... :teeth:

I almost got the lamb because I had heard it was good, but I'm still glad I got the filet mignon- it was seriously good! I did have a taste of the French onion soup and you're right... its crazy salty!!! My appetizer was the meat and cheese plate. The nice part was they give you a card that explains what each item is, which I thought was a nice touch. I think the new menu is nice- I just wished the service and ambiance would have matched

I almost got the lamb because I had heard it was good, but I'm still glad I got the filet mignon- it was seriously good! I did have a taste of the French onion soup and you're right... its crazy salty!!! My appetizer was the meat and cheese plate. The nice part was they give you a card that explains what each item is, which I thought was a nice touch. I think the new menu is nice- I just wished the service and ambiance would have matched

WHY has that French onion soup been salty for YEARS?? It's one of the few things they kept from the old menu (which was ALL too salty, imo), and while everything else seems so much more improved, that was not.

Our server recommended the steak and the lamb, and so the adults only got those and shared. Both were SO good, but I think the lamb edged out the steak (2yo approved of both)

I got the charcuterie plate too! My 2yo sat in my lap (she was scared of the Beast) and ate all the meats, including the chicken liver pate. I did feel like it was less harried and less noisy now that it's more expensive and a 3-course meal. Even though I'm usually not one to praise price increases, I feel like it made the restaurant feel a little more like a fine(r) dining experience. The desserts were cool too - my ODD ate everyone's sugar paper.

WHY has that French onion soup been salty for YEARS?? It's one of the few things they kept from the old menu (which was ALL too salty, imo), and while everything else seems so much more improved, that was not.

Our server recommended the steak and the lamb, and so the adults only got those and shared. Both were SO good, but I think the lamb edged out the steak (2yo approved of both)

I got the charcuterie plate too! My 2yo sat in my lap (she was scared of the Beast) and ate all the meats, including the chicken liver pate. I did feel like it was less harried and less noisy now that it's more expensive and a 3-course meal. Even though I'm usually not one to praise price increases, I feel like it made the restaurant feel a little more like a fine(r) dining experience. The desserts were cool too - my ODD ate everyone's sugar paper.

Our server didn't make any recommendations, other than to "definitely not" order the charred octopus, which is why I opted for the meat and cheese plate instead. Our server also never made mention of the dessert paper being edible- I told my group about it from reading about it on DISboards... the other 3 at the table thought that the paper was actually part of the plate design! LOL

Our server also looked familiar, like we had her before somewhere else. When we asked about it, she told us that she was previously a server at ESPN Club (which she enjoyed) and Ohana (which she said was VERY brief stint... judging by the look on her face, it didn't seem like a place she enjoyed working). She also mentioned we would've remembered her at Ohana, because she was, quote... "crazy pregnant" at the time! She seemed genuinely nice, but absolutely overwhelmed.

Our Via Napoli wasn't good this trip. My pizza was burnt badly on the bottom and the rest was kinda meh except for the antipasto misto - that was really delicious! It's one of those places that after I eat it, I always wonder why I keep booking it. I think it's because it's easy and doesn't take a lot of thought process.

Kona... didn't do it for us. Maybe not a "huge" letdown, but the Asian Stir-Fry was kind of bland. My wife considered it nothing she couldn't make at home. I thought the Ginger-Soy Chicken was perfectly cooked and delicious. The potatoes that came with it were tasty too. I'm glad I tried the beer flight, because the one I liked best was not the one I was expecting to. We both thought the rolls and butter were delicious. For desert, we tried whatever the 'famous' Ohana bread pudding dish is, and it was just alright.

Overall it wasn't "bad" but we're probably not going back, though we did love the opportunity to see the Polynesian and enjoy the atmosphere. Food-wise and in terms of overall experience, it just didn't hold a candle to Sanaa, and both are around the same price.

Our Via Napoli wasn't good this trip. My pizza was burnt badly
I think burnt would have been an improvement over what we got there which was undercooked and soggy.

I have no idea why Disney can't manage to make a decent pizza anywhere on property (we have not tried Blaze yet so I can't comment on that).

Ohana. Wanted to try it for a while, and finally did, and we just didn't care for it. May have just been an off night, but we didn't really enjoy any of the food. Our server was awesome though.

Today I worked on tweaking the ADRs I frantically made 4 months ago at the crack of dawn! We were initially going to do the DxDP with our 3 year old grandson for the character meals and a few decent meals for us! When we decided to go OOP I started to rethink things! Then.... this thread! :rotfl2:

For us: Chef Mickey's (from back when our kids were young) just yuck!!

Crystal Palace but I've eaten there on the last 3 trips because DGS loves Pooh! Not on the agenda this year! The food is awful in my opinion.

Columbia Harbor House because I've never had anything I liked there except a table by the window during a parade!

Two of the biggies on this thread we always do but I agree they've both deteriorated over the years (VN and 'Ohanas) I'm absolutely deleting BOG dinner.

Actually every single ADR I have has been mentioned, most many times! :rotfl: I'm sick in bed with the flu and a little delirious! I'm afraid by the time I wake up tomorrow I'll have no ADRs left!

There was even mention of Casey's and DGS and I always split the mini corn dogs!

This has been a fun thread! So GG for PPO breakfast is a no go? :confused:

If you haven't been to BOG dinner since the revamp (signature dining, prix fixe), I'd give it another shot before writing it off completely. (Just don't get the onion soup because it is still too salty.)

I'm going to sleep on it!

Tiffins, server was horrible, my entree looked amazing but tasted like dank meatloaf, appetizers were mediocre, desserts were microscopic
We are giving it another chance this trip though and are pretty excited about it.

Tiffins, server was horrible, my entree looked amazing but tasted like dank meatloaf, appetizers were mediocre, desserts were microscopic
We are giving it another chance this trip though and are pretty excited about it.
That's a shame. We had dinner there for the first time last month and thought it was excellent. I had one of the fish dishes (don't remember exactly what) and my wife had the chicken and waffles. Both were delicious. We did the bread service for an appetizer and have had that before at Nomad Lounge. Other than being a little skimpy on the spreads, we like that. We didn't have dessert as we were stuffed. I hope your next time is better.

That's a shame. We had dinner there for the first time last month and thought it was excellent. I had one of the fish dishes (don't remember exactly what) and my wife had the chicken and waffles. Both were delicious. We did the bread service for an appetizer and have had that before at Nomad Lounge. Other than being a little skimpy on the spreads, we like that. We didn't have dessert as we were stuffed. I hope your next time is better.

Thanks, it was May of last year before the menu change over, seeing the new reviews and pictures we are excited to try it again.

California Grill --- Everyone always talks about how great the food and place it. So, we finally went there. It is VERY noisy and the food wasn't all that. I personally think the reason everyone gave it such great reviews is because it is one of the best places to see the fireworks. Other than that, I personally will NEVER eat there again. If I am paying for that price, I expect the food to be outstanding and it wasn't. There is much better sushi at Kimonos or even Kona Island. There is better fish and steak at other restaurants. The only thing that is "Signature" about it is the price and the view of the fireworks. We have found a better way to enjoy the fireworks from balcony: we go up for pre-dinner drinks, go eat somewhere better and then return to see the fireworks.

California Grill --- Everyone always talks about how great the food and place it. So, we finally went there. It is VERY noisy and the food wasn't all that. I personally think the reason everyone gave it such great reviews is because it is one of the best places to see the fireworks. Other than that, I personally will NEVER eat there again. If I am paying for that price, I expect the food to be outstanding and it wasn't. There is much better sushi at Kimonos or even Kona Island. There is better fish and steak at other restaurants. The only thing that is "Signature" about it is the price and the view of the fireworks. We have found a better way to enjoy the fireworks from balcony: we go up for pre-dinner drinks, go eat somewhere better and then return to see the fireworks.

I have never eaten there and have no desire. I know a few people who have taken the plunge and eaten here and didn't feel like they were blown away. I really think it has to do with the view for fireworks as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter