Can You Use Your Park Tickets Before Check-In?

3princesshome

Mouseketeer
We have purchased 9 day park hopper tickets with a resort/ticket/dining package starting on Dec 28th when we will check in to POR. We are now going to be arriving into Orlando around late afternoon on Dec 27th and I can't add a day on to the resort reservation because it is sold out so we will just stay offsite for one night on the 27th. My question is, can we start using our park tickets on the 27th? Or can we only start using them on the 28th which is our check in date for our resort?
Thanks

We have purchased 9 day park hopper tickets with a resort/ticket/dining package starting on Dec 28th when we will check in to POR. We are now going to be arriving into Orlando around late afternoon on Dec 27th and I can't add a day on to the resort reservation because it is sold out so we will just stay offsite for one night on the 27th. My question is, can we start using our park tickets on the 27th? Or can we only start using them on the 28th which is our check in date for our resort?
Thanks

What was the exact date that you BOOKED your stay?

If you booked before Oct. 16, 2018, (and did not make modifications to that booking since then) you have "old" (Magic Your Way) tickets in your package.
Under MYW rules, guests could activate their resort package tickets up to 10 days before
their check-in date.
CURRENT rules (since Oct. 16) do not allow the activation/use of resort package tickets before the guests' check-in date.

We don't know for sure if they will follow the "old rules" if you have "old tickets,"
or if they will follow current rules, regardless.
Please report back and let us know what happens.

Last edited:
I called Disney today and spoke to someone who said that I will be able to activate my park tickets before my check in date. They didn't mention that it was different rules for different dates of packages (I booked my package back in July). He said it would be smoother if I show up at the resort and activate there as opposed to trying to get them activated at the park gate. We will have a car and on our first park day we are not trying to make rope drop so it won't be an issue for us to drop by the resort first.

I called Disney today and spoke to someone who said that I will be able to activate my park tickets before my check in date. They didn't mention that it was different rules for different dates of packages (I booked my package back in July). He said it would be smoother if I show up at the resort and activate there as opposed to trying to get them activated at the park gate. We will have a car and on our first park day we are not trying to make rope drop so it won't be an issue for us to drop by the resort first.
This is new to me! I wasn't aware that you could activate tickets at the resort. We have activated early the past several years, and that is our plan again this trip.

Glad to hear this can still be done. :thumbsup2

There is no reason to expect that it still can be done, as it has specifically been said that it cannot be done
using the new "Theme Park Tickets" rules.

OTOH, the OP has a package that was booked before the new "Theme Park Tickets" came on-line.
So, it is quite POSSIBLE that those package tickets still can be activated in advance of the resort check-in date.

The BIG question is (as it virtually always is the case) did the "phone CM" have any actual knowledge
about the new rules of ticket activation, or was that CM just touting the old Magic Your Way rules?

It can be precarious for a guest to take the word of a random phone CM regarding procedural rules...
especially following specific new rule changes.

Stay tuned.
And, good luck to the OP.
(Please post back with your experience with this.)

Last edited:
Here is a detail from the new "Theme Park Ticket" FAQ (HERE) compiled by @rteetz... from various Disney information-
---------------------------------------------
Frequently Asked Questions

Does this affect ticket purchases made before Oct. 16th, 2018?

Unused, unexpired tickets remain valid at no additional cost. Tickets keep their same expiration date and terms as they had previously.

Do Florida Resident rates still exist?

Yes, Florida residents still receive discounts on select ticket options at this time.

Can tickets be modified, and what happens if a guest needs to change their date?

Yes, tickets can be modified through the My Disney Experience app or by calling the Disney reservation center. If a ticket is changed to a higher priced time period the guest is responsible for paying the difference in price. If the guest changes to a lower priced period there will be no refund for that. If a ticket needs to be changed after the start date, guests can visit guest relations at Walt Disney World.

When will more dates be added?

As of right now the ticket calendar only goes through 2019. More dates will be added in the future.

Are these still Magic Your Way tickets?

No, these tickets are referred to as Walt Disney World theme park tickets. The tickets purchased before Oct. 16th are still Magic Your Way. The new tickets have different pricing and structure so they are referred to as otherwise.

What is the flexible ticket option?

The flexible ticket option extends the period the ticket can be used. It is an additional cost. That cost is variable so depending on time of year and length of stay that price of the flexible option will change. It allows the ticket to be used from the purchase date through December 31st, 2019. You also then have 14 days from first entry to use all the days on your ticket.

How should I plan my Split Stay?

Per @tinka-belle
"TA webinar stated that for split stays put a longer ticket in the first stay that will carry over to the second stay. Valid dates will be for the TICKET itself since it's longer than the first resort stay. Ticket will NOT be valid for the length of both stays. For example first stay is at Pop Century for 2 nights - purchase a 7 day ticket with that first package stay - check into another resort on or off site after checking out from Pop. In this case a 7 day ticket in this 2 night package OR purchased separately is valid for up to 10 days.

Can I activate a Theme Park Ticket “package ticket” before I check-in?
Can no longer activate a package ticket before check in. This is a biggie for lots of people!
------------------------------------------------------

Now, do I know from WHERE @rteetz found that information, and is it truly "new" accurate info
?

-I do not.

So, again, stay tuned.

Now, do I know from WHERE @rteetz found that information, and is it truly "new" accurate info?
That info was also from TA @tinka-belle who was quoting from the TA webinar regarding packages with Theme Park Tickets. There was also discussion in the Unplugged Podcast that’s linked in the Ticket FAQ... but I basically watched until @rteetz and “other” Mods were mentioned. ;)

There is no reason to expect that it still can be done, as it has specifically been said that it cannot be done
using the new "Theme Park Tickets" rules.

OTOH, the OP has a package that was booked before the new "Theme Park Tickets" came on-line.
So, it is quite POSSIBLE that those package tickets still can be activated in advance of the resort check-in date.

The BIG question is (as it virtually always is the case) did the "phone CM" have any actual knowledge
about the new rules of ticket activation, or was that CM just touting the old Magic Your Way rules?

It can be precarious for a guest to take the word of a random phone CM regarding procedural rules...
especially following specific new rule changes.

Stay tuned.
And, good luck to the OP.
(Please post back with your experience with this.)

Thanks for all the further clarification. So I shouldn't be 100% confident that it can be done until I arrive on the Dec 27th and give it a try. I will report back on my experience and let you know how it went.

Thanks for all the further clarification. So I shouldn't be 100% confident that it can be done until I arrive on the Dec 27th and give it a try. I will report back on my experience and let you know how it went.

We'll be looking forward to your report.
Have a great trip!

I just heard from my travel agent today regarding the new policy. According to the agent there is a new policy called "Early Ticket Release" and you can activate your tickets no more than 2 days prior to your check-in date. Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter