Canada Day in Vancouver

belle2008

Mouseketeer
I posted this over on the cruise forums but they suggested I post here too so hopefully this is the right place to do so. My family is going on the Alaska cruise in July (yay!) and will be in Vancouver for Canada Day. I found the official website with events going on but as this is my first time in Canada to begin with, I have no idea what the day will be like. We'll be traveling with a bunch of family including three toddlers and relying on walking/public transportation. Any fun events going on that would be good for kids? Places we should avoid? Anything else we need to know? TIA!

The events around Canada Place (the cruise terminal) are easily accessible and family friendly especially during the day. There should be a firework show at night.

I would recommend Granville Island, which you can get to on transit, there will be several live bands and other street performer types, all of the shows are free. The water taxi over to Granville Island offers an interesting perspective of the city, from the water. www.granvilleisland.com

They cancelled the parade this year :(

The events around Canada Place (the cruise terminal) are easily accessible and family friendly especially during the day. There should be a firework show at night.

I would recommend Granville Island, which you can get to on transit, there will be several live bands and other street performer types, all of the shows are free. The water taxi over to Granville Island offers an interesting perspective of the city, from the water. www.granvilleisland.com

They cancelled the parade this year :(

Thanks for the advice! That is definitely a bummer about the parade but Granville Island sounds interesting!

@belle2008: Which hotel are staying at? Are you arriving in Vancouver on July 1st?

Thoughts...
  • this is a long weekend... expect congestion at attractions and hotel prices will be a premium
  • the area around the cruise terminal hotels will be heavily congested all day and into the night for the fireworks.
  • you might have a more enjoyable time post-cruise on a weekday without the congestion.

@belle2008: Which hotel are staying at? Are you arriving in Vancouver on July 1st?

Thoughts...
  • this is a long weekend... expect congestion at attractions and hotel prices will be a premium
  • the area around the cruise terminal hotels will be heavily congested all day and into the night for the fireworks.
  • you might have a more enjoyable time post-cruise on a weekday without the congestion.

We are staying away from the cruise terminal luckily and are arriving on Friday so it sounds like we'll do stuff in that area earlier in the weekend and stay away from there on Sunday. Thank you for your thoughts.

I second Granville Isl. and they have Dole Whip :upsidedow At the Cruise port Convention Centre side there is Fly Over Canada. It’s like Sorin, but over Canada. The Olympic Torch is down the street.
Go to Stanley Park and walk along the Sea Wall. There’s also an Aquarium there.
Take the Red Bus. It’s a hop on hop off bus that takes you around the city highlights.
And of course Fireworks on July 1!

FYI, if you want to see the fireworks, I just got an email from the pan pacific that oceans 999 is having a dinner buffet on Canada day (usually their food is quite good) with fireworks viewing :

CANADA DAY 2018 CELEBRATION UNDER THE SAILS
JOIN US SUNDAY, JULY 1, 2018

Watch the Fireworks at 10:30 pm

OCEANS 999 & PATIO
BUFFET DINNER 6:00 PM - 9:30 PM
$59 per person, Children 6 - 12 $29.50
plus applicable taxes

Music by: Goby Catt Trio & Cole Petrone

Reservations recommended, please call 604-895-2480

Not sure if that would be too late for the toddlers, but you wouldn't need any transportation for that. :thumbsup2 And if the toddlers are under 6, I assume it would be free, but it might be good to clarify.

Last edited:

Thoughts...
I booked dinner at Miku. Do you think it has a good view of the July 1 fireworks? Or should I book Oceans 999 & Patio celebration dinner buffet instead? I am visiting Vancouver with my mom who has mobility issue and hope she can enjoy the fireworks in a more comfortable setting. TIA for your kind assistance!

I booked dinner at Miku. Do you think it has a good view of the July 1 fireworks? Or should I book Oceans 999 & Patio celebration dinner buffet instead? I am visiting Vancouver with my mom who has mobility issue and hope she can enjoy the fireworks in a more comfortable setting. TIA for your kind assistance!

I've never actually watched fireworks from Miku, they never tend to promote fireworks viewing packages for the celebration of light or Canada Day. They have a beautiful view of the water, but thinking about it, I have a feeling that the sails will be blocking a fireworks view...

That said, the sushi at Miku is phenomenal, they make such delicious aburi sushi. I eat there several times a year, it's always great. You can always call Miku and ask what the view is like during the fireworks, they'd be glad to tell you. And if you still want to dine at Miku but have a reserved fireworks seating area, you can reserve seating by purchase at the fireworks viewing zone at Canada place. I think it's only like $15 a ticket for that. https://www.canadaplace.ca/events/canada-day/fireworks/

Last edited:
I've never actually watched fireworks from Miku, they never tend to promote fireworks viewing packages for the celebration of light or Canada Day. They have a beautiful view of the water, but thinking about it, I have a feeling that the sails will be blocking a good fireworks view...

That said, the sushi at Miku is phenomenal, they make such delicious aburi sushi. I eat there several times a year, it's always great. You can always call Miku and ask what the view is like during the fireworks, they'd be glad to tell you. And if you still want to dine at Miku but have a reserved fireworks seating area, you can reserve seating by purchase at the fireworks viewing zone at Canada place. I think it's only like $15 a ticket for that. https://www.canadaplace.ca/events/canada-day/fireworks/

Thanks! I will check out the fireworks viewing zone at Canada Place.

I booked dinner at Miku. Do you think it has a good view of the July 1 fireworks? Or should I book Oceans 999 & Patio celebration dinner buffet instead?
Miku is on the WRONG side of the cruise terminal. There is NO view of the fireworks.

I recommend you call Oceans 999 and talk to the staff about the views and whether they are open for the fireworks.

Miku is on the WRONG side of the cruise terminal. There is NO view of the fireworks.

I recommend you call Oceans 999 and talk to the staff about the views and whether they are open for the fireworks.

:thanks:

I called Oceans 999 and was told that we could watch the fireworks from the patio if desired. The buffet will be served indoor. I booked for 6 pm to secure window seating just in case my mom doesn’t want to go outside.

The weather forecast is showing raining for the weekend. I hope not. If it rains, will the fireworks be cancelled?

:thanks:

I called Oceans 999 and was told that we could watch the fireworks from the patio if desired. The buffet will be served indoor. I booked for 6 pm to secure window seating just in case my mom doesn’t want to go outside.

The weather forecast is showing raining for the weekend. I hope not. If it rains, will the fireworks be cancelled?
Fireworks will only be cancelled if there is strong winds. Rain has no impact.

Local forecast shows 40% of light rain (less than 1mm). I would not be concerned about weather at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter