Canadian Disney Gift Cards for trip?

Anyone know if Shell sells Disney GC? Or if you take a Disney gc from the kiosk at say Shoppers, dont ring it in, go to a Shell and can they activate it and pay for it there?

I had no idea you could do this! So let me get this straight, if I buy $100 CAD gift card I can go online and it will tell me daily what it is worth in US? We just booked AKV thru Davids and am planning to buy tickets before Feb 7 with the Canadian Discount which would save us $50 if I'm figuring this correctly. We just came back from Universal at the beginning of September and my charges on my CC were charged at 36-37%. My cancellation insurance tho is thru my CC so I guess I would be out my tickets if we were forced to cancel. Trip is Aug.

Yep! That’s right. Your tickets wouldn’t be worthless though, you would just have to pay the difference between what you paid and the current value when you did go to use them if you for some reason had to cancel.

Yep! That’s right. Your tickets wouldn’t be worthless though, you would just have to pay the difference between what you paid and the current value when you did go to use them if you for some reason had to cancel.

I'm not sure what you mean? Anything trip related would have to be bought with my CC that has my cancellation insurance rider on it. I pay $80 a year for unlimited trips up to $5000 per trip. If I buy tickets with gift cards and not my CC then my insurance won't cover it because they weren't paid for with my CC. I just paid for our DVC rental with my CC so that would be covered.

I'm not sure what you mean? Anything trip related would have to be bought with my CC that has my cancellation insurance rider on it. I pay $80 a year for unlimited trips up to $5000 per trip. If I buy tickets with gift cards and not my CC then my insurance won't cover it because they weren't paid for with my CC. I just paid for our DVC rental with my CC so that would be covered.
What the PP was referencing is the fact that you will never lose the value of the tickets you purchase with the gift cards. Disney will allow you to apply the value to a future ticket. You can't get them refunded but you won't be stuck with tickets you can't ever use. Does that make sense?

What the PP was referencing is the fact that you will never lose the value of the tickets you purchase with the gift cards. Disney will allow you to apply the value to a future ticket. You can't get them refunded but you won't be stuck with tickets you can't ever use. Does that make sense?

Exactly what I meant. Regardless of what method of purchase you use, you will keep the tickets if your trip is canceled.

From Disney: After expiration date, the price paid for a wholly unused ticket can be applied to the purchase of a new ticket with an equal or higher price.

If you have a credit card that charges a foreign exchange fee, you can purchase the Disney GCs in Canada and then the Disney GC will charge you exactly the foreign exchange rate for the previous day. You will see this fluctuate on the Disney Gift Card site. You just can't use them to pay for the dining plan through DVC or directly link them to your Magic Band for charging. You can use them to pay down your charges at the hotel as long as you have a CC on file and you do it before they put the charges through your credit card.

You can optimize this too. If you are a CAA member you get 20% more Petropoints and CAA dollars, pay with an RBC mastercard you get another 20% more Petropoints and 3 cents off each liter of gas, and link your HBC rewards card you get another 20% more Petropoints and HBC rewards points. That's 60% more Petropoints when you fill up along with other benefits. Petropoints is the only points program I can find that allows us to convert points to Disney giftcards. If anyone knows of another points program that converts directly to Disney giftcards, please share.
You can buy Disney Gift cards using money earned on your Walmart credit card as well :)

I also sort of use my PC points to buy mine - you can't do that directly anymore, but if I'm going to get $100 in groceries, and have $100 worth of PC points banked, I'll grab a $100 gift card, and then pay for the groceries with points and buy the gift card. I've then saved $100 on groceries and converted it to Disney, so it's really a free Disney gift card.

This is exactly what we do - every time we hit 50,000 points. By the time we go on our trip in March we should have $600 CDN in gift cards!

Just a heads up for folks in the Halifax area. The Mumford Road Walmart now has gift cards in $100 denominations.
Walmart in Cambridge ON also has the 100 dollar cards. I started my stash for July. We were thinking of 1 card a month should be easy to handle and that will give us enough OBC for our July cruise

I think everyone has well explained the ~2.5% savings. I got some at Petro where I was able to use my points towards them as well, and earn on the portion I paid for. Some places you can earn points like that.

I used mine to pay off my package, memory maker, pay for dining while there and at Droid Depot. Also used it at the Disney store at the airport.
Can you verify if you mean that you used your petro points to pay for the gift card? I have 57000 Points and would love to use them to get a gift card hahaha...

Nevermind, i answered my own question!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I had $23 in points, just took up the card I wanted, said I wanted to apply my points. They did it in a separate transaction from my gas purchase. I'd only been collecting PP for a little bit, normally I use Shell but I saw they had Disney giftcards and got a promotional email saying I could use my points on anything, including giftcards, so I switched :) I will say I may have eaten more ice cream bars than I should have... we live walking distance to Petro and they had quite a few "buy two get xx points" over the summer...
Website says you cannot use points for gift cards in store only e-gift cards.
75FB7571-8606-42B8-BF1C-D24FB696922F.jpeg

Website says you cannot use points for gift cards in store only e-gift cards.
View attachment 450078
That is BRAND new .. as in maybe within the last week and now I'm sad that we decided to wait until we have a few more points so we could get a LARGER gift card. It used to be right in the section of in-store redemption just before lottery tickets!!!!

One thing that you unfortunately can’t do with the gift card yet, is pay for mobile orders from the Disneyland app. That one is a bit tougher for Canadians, as you can only pay with your credit card. So for a lot of folks, you would be doing an exchange fee every time.

Hopefully in the future they could add a feature where you could load gift cards directly into the app, kind of like with the Starbucks app. I did pass on this feedback.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!