Canadian Disney Gift Cards for trip?

One thing that you unfortunately can’t do with the gift card yet, is pay for mobile orders from the Disneyland app. That one is a bit tougher for Canadians, as you can only pay with your credit card. So for a lot of folks, you would be doing an exchange fee every time.

Hopefully in the future they could add a feature where you could load gift cards directly into the app, kind of like with the Starbucks app. I did pass on this feedback.

That was actually part of why I did the quick service dining plan on my last trip, so I could use the mobile app and pay for the plan with my gift card. I was travelling with a child who eats like an adult though :) So it was a good deal for us!

Hello all! Have read this thread + another longer one on this topic and am all for going on the hunt here in Hfx for a few GCs for our upcoming trip! Only Q I have - (a) once I buy some physical cards & link them to the Disney Gift Card website - (b) if I then purchase e-gift cards on that site separately, can that e-GC $$ be transferred to the physical cards? Or is that the whole CAD / USD GC problem I read about somewhere? Confusing question, thx if you can answer!

I went on the Disney Gift Card website and was reading under the "Reviews" section and found this comment, which I think is what you are asking about:

I was reading some reviews and some people did not like the gift certificate because they said it can't be transferred to a card. This is not true and can easily be done if you already have a plastic/card in your possession. Go to https://www.disneygiftcard.com/ create an account. Add your current card/plastic number to it (card # and security code). This becomes your Primary Card. When you buy a gift certificate, the email you are sent provides you the account number (this is the # they tell you to supply to a cast member when purchasing) The equivalent of the security code is labeled 'EAN' in your email and is an 8 digit number. With this certificate info in hand - go to your Disney Card account / select manage. You can ADD the gift certificate using the 16 digit number and the 8 digit security number. You will see the gift certificate amount as soon as you add it. Once you add it, you can then TRANSFER that amount into your Primary Account (the plastic/card). Simple. It's a weird way to "reload" your card - but it most definitely CAN be done if you buy a gift certificate.

Thank-you! Yes, I think that's what I'm wondering about - so even if a bit convoluted, it can be done ;)

Ideally, I'd like to purchase no more than 3 physical cards - 2 for the kids' spending money & 1 to be used for all of the onsite meals - easier to keep track once we're there. I do understand that we can't have more than 1K max on a card at a time...but theoretically I could "reload" with the online gift certs (but maybe that doesn't really make $$ sense...? I dunno).

I just really like the thought of pre-paying as much as poss, and the last piece of our 2020 trip is saving up for dining right now, so trying to be as ahead of the game as poss. As well as potentially getting extra CC rewards points when buying them to offset the gift card purchases lol :)

I have two cards on the site right now. One has a full $1000 CDN ($758 US today) and another with $175 CDN (the one I'm building currently). I also keep two "empty" cards on the site, (you need to keep the extra physical cards), just in case I were to lose one of the active cards. That way I can transfer my online balance to one of the empty cards.

Bottom line - if each kid has a card, make sure you have one extra empty card for each in case they lose them and you need to transfer the balance.

just in case I were to lose one of the active cards. That way I can transfer my online balance to one of the empty cards.

*Yes, perfect, that makes absolute sense.

Bottom line - if each kid has a card, make sure you have one extra empty card for each in case they lose them and you need to transfer the balance.

*It's like you've met my kids lol

Hello all! Have read this thread + another longer one on this topic and am all for going on the hunt here in Hfx for a few GCs for our upcoming trip! Only Q I have - (a) once I buy some physical cards & link them to the Disney Gift Card website - (b) if I then purchase e-gift cards on that site separately, can that e-GC $$ be transferred to the physical cards? Or is that the whole CAD / USD GC problem I read about somewhere? Confusing question, thx if you can answer!
I went on the Disney Gift Card website and was reading under the "Reviews" section and found this comment, which I think is what you are asking about:

I was reading some reviews and some people did not like the gift certificate because they said it can't be transferred to a card. This is not true and can easily be done if you already have a plastic/card in your possession. Go to https://www.disneygiftcard.com/ create an account. Add your current card/plastic number to it (card # and security code). This becomes your Primary Card. When you buy a gift certificate, the email you are sent provides you the account number (this is the # they tell you to supply to a cast member when purchasing) The equivalent of the security code is labeled 'EAN' in your email and is an 8 digit number. With this certificate info in hand - go to your Disney Card account / select manage. You can ADD the gift certificate using the 16 digit number and the 8 digit security number. You will see the gift certificate amount as soon as you add it. Once you add it, you can then TRANSFER that amount into your Primary Account (the plastic/card). Simple. It's a weird way to "reload" your card - but it most definitely CAN be done if you buy a gift certificate.
Thank-you! Yes, I think that's what I'm wondering about - so even if a bit convoluted, it can be done ;)

Ideally, I'd like to purchase no more than 3 physical cards - 2 for the kids' spending money & 1 to be used for all of the onsite meals - easier to keep track once we're there. I do understand that we can't have more than 1K max on a card at a time...but theoretically I could "reload" with the online gift certs (but maybe that doesn't really make $$ sense...? I dunno).

I just really like the thought of pre-paying as much as poss, and the last piece of our 2020 trip is saving up for dining right now, so trying to be as ahead of the game as poss. As well as potentially getting extra CC rewards points when buying them to offset the gift card purchases lol :)
Unless you can find e-cards/vouchers that are in Canadian funds I'm not sure you can actually add those to a physical card that you've bought here because then you end up mixing the currencies?? It's quite possible that I've either read your questions/comments incorrectly or that i'm just confused (both are really easy for me to do :P ) IF you have a card that you've picked up in the states at some point I'm fairly confident you can follow those extra steps to load them but I'm not even sure how you can actually BUY them here! I remember trying once before and while it let me put it in my cart i couldn't actually check out. (just tried now but don't want to end up with a charge to my credit card if it does go thru so i didn't try to complete the transaction this time!!!)

Not sure if I'm helping or creating another level of confusion!

To be honest, I would just buy all physical gift cards in CDN funds from Walmart or wherever. I wouldn't both with the e-cards. Just load each of the kids' cards onto the website. And if you buy more, then you can transfer those to whichever card you want.

question? I know the max is $1000 per card. If you have a card that is $1000can. and by some luck the dollar once again goes above par, does the card then go above as well?

question? I know the max is $1000 per card. If you have a card that is $1000can. and by some luck the dollar once again goes above par, does the card then go above as well?
I would imagine so -- but i don't know when we'll get a chance to test that!

Ok. My mission then is to find gift cards in the highest value possible so I don't have to buy a boatload of them! I'll leave the e-card stuff alone & keep fingers crossed that Disney rolls out a reloadable feature instead 😉

Ok. My mission then is to find gift cards in the highest value possible so I don't have to buy a boatload of them! I'll leave the e-card stuff alone & keep fingers crossed that Disney rolls out a reloadable feature instead 😉
I reload mine at the Disney store in our mall here in Winnipeg, all the time. I know the steps in the till now as I have been there when the manager teaches a new person lol

OK hey so I'm going to toss a wrench in the gears and pretty much know what to expect in replies but I'll do it anyways LOL

Our second cruise, on the Dream, our TA gave us a $100 e card instead of OBC.

We spent I don't know how much time at guest services one night and the girl was on the phone trying to sort it out. Nothing we did could make the card go through. Next spring we went to WDW and went through the same there with the same results. Our next cruise we tried again with the same expected results.
I was going to just delete the code and I gave it a last ditch effort and tried to make an online purchase. It worked...until shipping to Canada wouldn't go through. We were finally able to unload it by buying a gift for some friends in the States, it would ship there. We had used maybe 70 dollars and then deleted the code.

I had to do some serious checking before deciding on gift cards. The plastic store bought ones at least show up with a balance on the Disney site.

We finally found them in our local grocery store, I'm so pumped! ($50 increments). They weren't there Thurs, but showed up yesterday (on their own stand, maybe a limited holiday display?) - in fact, so new that I couldn't buy any yet, as they didn't have them all in the system! 🤭

I think I'll stick with plastic cards rather than the e-certs by the sounds of things... Wish we had a Dis Store close to reload instead of slowly buying up all my local stock (kidding/not kidding). Just excited to be able to use as a savings tool! 😊

I love that the the exchange rate I'm seeing is pretty bang on exactly what I see when I use Google for a quick conversion. Not super happy to see that my $100 card is only worth $75.60 😱 but at least it's better than dealing with either a foreign transaction fee on top of the exchange or needing to buy u.s. cash to pay off the u.s. Mastercard!

Sooo much easier to get our money this way, thanks to everyone's input on these.

When I get to my resort can I load the gift cards onto my account attached to the magic bands? Wouldnt that help with mobile ordering fees?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!