Canadian Disney Gift Cards for trip?

What is semi-retirement? Like, super duper close to retirement?
Hi semi retirement can be different for each person. I was fully retired for 18 months and now work 5 hrs a day 5 days a week. I get 3 blocks of two week vacation. When I am asked why I am working I reply that I still have travel goals to meet! PS I am in Fort Lauderdale right now!

Hi semi retirement can be different for each person. I was fully retired for 18 months and now work 5 hrs a day 5 days a week. I get 3 blocks of two week vacation. When I am asked why I am working I reply that I still have travel goals to meet! PS I am in Fort Lauderdale right now!

Have an awesome Holiday Hon!!
Hugs
Mel

Late to this post but read everything
I received 3x$50 gift cards for Christmas
I have gone on the site and loaded ont to the other. Separately they were $37.xx but when I merged them the balance was $100??
The third one I can’t apply as I keep getting an error message that it isnt recognized?!? Not sure why.
Am I SOL if it wasn’t activated correctly?

I have gone on the site and loaded ont to the other. Separately they were $37.xx but when I merged them the balance was $100??
The third one I can’t apply as I keep getting an error message that it isnt recognized?!? Not sure why.

Hi adamkat
I am not sure if this helps but when transfering money I had to change which card was the Primary one.
One time I had to log out and wait a couple hours for the amount to change over to US dollars.

I was getting this error message on cards I purchased myself so have the activation slip and know they were activated. I waited a bit, reloaded the website and it was fine. Seems from reading this thread that is not an uncommon issues (the website having problems). Your giftcard is likely fine, just try again later.

Has anyone use gift cards for parking charges at the parks? I'm presuming they will take them based on what I read on the Disney Gift Card site, but wondering if anyone can confirm?

I was getting this error message on cards I purchased myself so have the activation slip and know they were activated. I waited a bit, reloaded the website and it was fine. Seems from reading this thread that is not an uncommon issues (the website having problems). Your giftcard is likely fine, just try again later.

thanks I did try that and using a different computer still doesn’t let me. Called in-laws and they don’t remember where they bought the gift card. 🥺

I'll admit I'm trying to wrap my head around all this. I do understand everyone's posts. So these are my thoughts for what they are worth; I've read that exchanging Cdn$ GC at Disney cuts out the middle man, i.e. the CC companies. Actually there is only the Bank of Canada and the Federal Reserve US dollar to Cdn dollar buy/sell to consider. Disney is a middle man. No business exchanges funds at the Goverments rate. All business charge a small extra "fee".That's why all banks have a different rate. Scotia today sells USD for 1.35Cdn the Bank of Canada says the USD is worth 1.3Cdn. The difference is Scotia's "small fee". 0.04 cents on the dollar.
I'm just wondering what Disney's small fee is when you use the GC? Disney doesn't exchange at the Federal Reserve rate. Do I have to buy a GC to find out Disneys exchange? Can someone who has GC and is on the site please tell me what Disneys exchange rate is today? Thanks!

I'll admit I'm trying to wrap my head around all this. I do understand everyone's posts. So these are my thoughts for what they are worth; I've read that exchanging Cdn$ GC at Disney cuts out the middle man, i.e. the CC companies. Actually there is only the Bank of Canada and the Federal Reserve US dollar to Cdn dollar buy/sell to consider. Disney is a middle man. No business exchanges funds at the Goverments rate. All business charge a small extra "fee".That's why all banks have a different rate. Scotia today sells USD for 1.35Cdn the Bank of Canada says the USD is worth 1.3Cdn. The difference is Scotia's "small fee". 0.04 cents on the dollar.
I'm just wondering what Disney's small fee is when you use the GC? Disney doesn't exchange at the Federal Reserve rate. Do I have to buy a GC to find out Disneys exchange? Can someone who has GC and is on the site please tell me what Disneys exchange rate is today? Thanks!
1.3144058 to be exact. To answer the question of what does Disney get out of the deal, well, they get you to have to use those gc's only with Disney. They have your money trapped until the day you use it so if you purchase $1000 today and don't use it for a year to pay for your vacation they have use of your money and can make interest from that money. To me it's a loss at our end but not everyone agrees.

1.3144058 to be exact. To answer the question of what does Disney get out of the deal, well, they get you to have to use those gc's only with Disney. They have your money trapped until the day you use it so if you purchase $1000 today and don't use it for a year to pay for your vacation they have use of your money and can make interest from that money. To me it's a loss at our end but not everyone agrees.
That is interesting and I certainly agree. I'm all about the interest! After all my "research" I've decided to use my Amex card. I paid for my package with it earlier this month and they exchanged at 1.34 but I receive Rewards at 1.5 % for every dollar spent on travel and dining. As a solo it's less important(and cash) for me than it would be for a a family.

thanks I did try that and using a different computer still doesn’t let me. Called in-laws and they don’t remember where they bought the gift card. 🥺

Call the disney gift card number, they were unbelievably helpful when we had an issue.

That is interesting and I certainly agree. I'm all about the interest! After all my "research" I've decided to use my Amex card. I paid for my package with it earlier this month and they exchanged at 1.34 but I receive Rewards at 1.5 % for every dollar spent on travel and dining. As a solo it's less important(and cash) for me than it would be for a a family.

We use our Amex to buy the gift cards , so we get the benefit of the better excahnge rate, and our 1.5%.

Do you know what your Amex exchange fee is? Mine and my husbands are both different, mine is 1.5 so it negates the cash back but my husbands is 2 so it is a loss.

Correction it did work when I tried again last night!!
so my question now is can you use them for ordering magic bands???
Thought they could be used for anything but I only see credit card as a payment option?

Correction it did work when I tried again last night!!
so my question now is can you use them for ordering magic bands???
Thought they could be used for anything but I only see credit card as a payment option?

You cannot, only credit cards :(

What do you mean they get our interest? If we purchase the gift cards on our credit cards?

I think they just mean if you buy the cards in advance you could be earning interest on that investment instead of tying it up in the gift card. Buying the card gives Disney the money and they can invest it.

I'd still prefer to save the whatever percentage on the exchange rate, and not have to use a credit card to pay for the trip. But I also only buy a card if I have a trip planned (and booked or soon to be booked). Then I prefer to pay it off as I can, since it averages out the exchange rate over that period of time.

Oh I see. Yea, I'm only regularly purchasing them as we have a trip planned. Once we go in December, I won't be buying them anymore.

Try putting in 1 cent less than the value of the card. If after the exchange the value of the $50 card is $37.77, try putting in $37.76. I had this happen one time and this is what Disney told me to do and it worked. Something to do with a rounding error.

If it continues to not work, I would call Disney and see if they can add.

EDIT: After re-reading your msg, I see that the card was not even being recognized? This is a different issue. I would call disney and see what they say.

Call the disney gift card number, they were unbelievably helpful when we had an issue.

We use our Amex to buy the gift cards , so we get the benefit of the better excahnge rate, and our 1.5%.

Do you know what your Amex exchange fee is? Mine and my husbands are both different, mine is 1.5 so it negates the cash back but my husbands is 2 so it is a loss.
When I paid for my trip with Amex they exchanged on that day at 1.344. So not too bad. I actually received 250.00 in gift cards from my sister today, who works at WalMart and got a 10% employee discount on them.
I'll pay her back, probably😊

I have two cards on the site right now. One has a full $1000 CDN ($758 US today) and another with $175 CDN (the one I'm building currently). I also keep two "empty" cards on the site, (you need to keep the extra physical cards), just in case I were to lose one of the active cards. That way I can transfer my online balance to one of the empty cards.

Bottom line - if each kid has a card, make sure you have one extra empty card for each in case they lose them and you need to transfer the balance.

Hi Hon
I need some help to unconfuse myself.
When I log onto my account I see $741.33 Is this USD Or CAD ??
I tried adding a $50.00 gift card to it and it wouldn't allow me to.

Thanks again
Hugs
Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts