Canadian snowbirds, what are your plans?

I'm not exactly a snowbird, but I made the decision to head down next month for a week. Haven't been to our condo since last October. I normally fly out of Buffalo, or drive, but it looks like those options are off the table until at least next year. I booked a flight out of Toronto and opted for the added insurance; 1.3 million coverage for $37. Should be an interesting experience.
Does insurance cover Covid? That’s a great price, is it from the airline? We normally fly out of Seattle if it’s a better deal. Have to factor in a hotel room to figure out if price difference is worth it. But this trip flying from home airport too.

It's a standard add-on from Expedia, so it doesn't have any specific exemption for Coronavirus travel. My original post wasn't clear, I'd since edited it. Cheers!

It's a standard add-on from Expedia, so it doesn't have any specific exemption for Coronavirus travel. My original post wasn't clear, I'd since edited it. Cheers!
Hi migel, you may want to read through the policy if you haven’t already. Expedia’s add on policy usually has no coverage for any pre existing condition no matter the stability period and it also normally won’t cover you if there is a travel advisory in effect, which we do have right now. If you have no pre existing conditions then it’s not a worry but no coverage due to a travel advisory is no coverage at all. Just want you to be safe.

Hi migel, you may want to read through the policy if you haven’t already. Expedia’s add on policy usually has no coverage for any pre existing condition no matter the stability period and it also normally won’t cover you if there is a travel advisory in effect, which we do have right now. If you have no pre existing conditions then it’s not a worry but no coverage due to a travel advisory is no coverage at all. Just want you to be safe.
Much appreciated!

I'm not exactly a snowbird, but I made the decision to head down next month for a week. Haven't been to our condo since last October. I normally fly out of Buffalo, or drive, but it looks like those options are off the table until at least next year. I booked a flight out of Toronto and added a general insurance package for $37, although it's not specific to Coronavirus. If I were down for a longer stay, I'd be more inclined to ensure I had complete coverage.
It's been too long away, and I don't see the main stream media easing up the fear-mongering any time soon. Should be an interesting trip.

Migel
Safe travels, I hear you my friend. ( my travel banks are all out of the us though sigh) Can you report when you get back please?
Thanks

Well yes and no - According to Google Ontario is at 1,116 cases/day with a population of approx 14 million and Florida is at 4,637 cases/day with a population of approx 23 million.

So worse, but not substantially so given the population, complete lack of 'controls', and the large transient population (which would likely push their population north of 30-35 million at any one time).

BAD???? I think I would take 900 cases a day over the 4500 that are happening in Florida where there are no restrictions

I guess it all depends on where you live in Ontario. There are definitely some hotspots here.

I would imagine that accurate recording of covid cases in a transient area like Orlando is quite difficult. People can be out of there before they even realize they are infected.

Last edited:
Well yes and no - According to Google Ontario is at 1,116 cases/day with a population of approx 14 million and Florida is at 4,637 cases/day with a population of approx 23 million.

So worse, but not substantially so given the population, complete lack of 'controls', and the large transient population (which would likely push their population north of 30-35 million at any one time).
Right , and with zero contact tracing and a transient population those numbers are ending up being counted in the home states of those travellers. And let’s not forget that Florida has not been particularly forthcoming with their numbers and has a political agenda.
I can tell you that the prominent large Florida city hospital where my brother in law is a surgeon has an ICU full of Covid and is at capacity and that they feel like they are on a sinking ship trying to manage this virus with no consistent message or compliance in the communities. Sure that may be anecdotal but I’ll take it over the biased opinion of someone who wants to travel .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter