Canadians with WDW Annual Pass, should I take the refund or extension?

If you received an email from WDW then I would use that. I had not received an email and based on information I had read online on another social media site, knew there was a deadline to apply so I called. I think the main thing is that if you cancel you receive an email confirming your selection. To calculate my estimated refund for the closure period I had previously requested, I used the following: AP Cost ($1,191.74) / 365 X 117(# days of closure). To calculate the remaining refund I used AP Cost / 365 X # days from July 12 to original expiration date of AP. My calculations may be off by a few $ but at least I had an estimate.

It is a hard decision to make, and I won't lie, I had a little cry. This will be the first year in a long time we will not be visiting WDW or DL multiple times in a year (had trips planned for March, August & November that are all cancelled). If the USA does not get a handle on the virus, I do not think the land borders will be open soon. As someone that lives less than 30 minutes from a land border, I would prefer them to be closed.

We asked for the refund on the weekend as well and it is sad. We are supposed to be at Disney right now and again in November. :( Hopefully things improve for next year and the world recovers.

If you received an email from WDW then I would use that. I had not received an email and based on information I had read online on another social media site, knew there was a deadline to apply so I called. I think the main thing is that if you cancel you receive an email confirming your selection. To calculate my estimated refund for the closure period I had previously requested, I used the following: AP Cost ($1,191.74) / 365 X 117(# days of closure). To calculate the remaining refund I used AP Cost / 365 X # days from July 12 to original expiration date of AP. My calculations may be off by a few $ but at least I had an estimate.
This is great information! Friends I had been speaking with believed that the refund wasn't going to include the 117 closed days and they were a bit upset. Using your model I calculated the total and I'm going to apply for the refund as well. My extended expiration date now goes into March but the reality is that I would be better off financially to take the almost 8 month's worth of refund than to let it sit there and not use it if the US can't get their house in order.

If they offered an option of putting my AP on hold and reactivating it in a year, or when I have a trip booked, then I would take that option in a heartbeat, but they're not offering that sadly. In my mind it would benefit them since they would be keeping the money they are now going to have to send to me.

😩 So I did cancel my pass on Friday via the email link. I’ll update when I get the actual dollars amount. I still have my January trip booked, so if I go I’ll just need to get tickets but at least I don’t have to make that decision today. (Or by Aug11)

I honestly can't imagine going in November right now, that being said - I'm not going to be cancelling my December trip anytime soon. I personally took the refund and will set the money aside for either tickets or a new pass when we're ready to return. I hope it's in December, but I know it might not be, so I'd rather take the sure thing of the refund then gamble and feel even more disappointed if we have to cancel our trip yet again.

This is great information! Friends I had been speaking with believed that the refund wasn't going to include the 117 closed days and they were a bit upset. Using your model I calculated the total and I'm going to apply for the refund as well. My extended expiration date now goes into March but the reality is that I would be better off financially to take the almost 8 month's worth of refund than to let it sit there and not use it if the US can't get their house in order.

If they offered an option of putting my AP on hold and reactivating it in a year, or when I have a trip booked, then I would take that option in a heartbeat, but they're not offering that sadly. In my mind it would benefit them since they would be keeping the money they are now going to have to send to me.

The refund for the closure period had to be requested prior to the parks reopening. If it was not requested, your AP was extended by the 117 days. The refund for the closure period is processed separately from the cancellation of the AP (advised mid-late September for the cancellation refund)

The refund for the closure period had to be requested prior to the parks reopening. If it was not requested, your AP was extended by the 117 days. The refund for the closure period is processed separately from the cancellation of the AP (advised mid-late September for the cancellation refund)
Really? So I'm not getting credit for the 117 days? I looked and I definitely didn't get an email about that. I wonder if I have a case to make with them about that?

Really? So I'm not getting credit for the 117 days? I looked and I definitely didn't get an email about that. I wonder if I have a case to make with them about that?

Yes you will get the 117 days INCLUDED in the cancellation. If you wanted a partial refund (117 days) you need to call and see if that’s still available to you, then your passes still expire on your original date, but you need to call to verify that option is still available. If/ When you cancel your pass it is from July 11 (reopening date) until your new expiry date (the 117 days added onto your expiration date) so yes you will get the closure but you need to act on it before Aug 11 or you’ll automatically get the extension date + 1 month extra and No money back.
On the email there was only the choice to take the extension or cancel your pass for a refund. If you didn’t receive the email you need to call them. See OP post that’s from the AP Disney site regarding options.

WDW did not send out emails about requesting the refund for the closure period. The information was available on the Annual Passholder website. Also, even though I requested the refund for the closure period as well as cancelling my AP, my expiration date was extended by 117 days as well as the additional 30 days. Originally, when I cancelled my AP, I was advised that the 117 day closure would be processed when I cancelled my AP because Disney was automatically extending all APs by the 117 days and then your refund would be for the period July 11 - the new expiration date. But clearly that is not what has been happening for the people that requested the refund for the closure since I received my refund for the closure period (as well as many others). It is going to be a nightmare for Disney to determine everyone's refund amount if their AP is cancelled.

Take the refund. Put the $ away in a saf(ish) low interest account. Plan for 2 to 5 yrs down the road. Others may tell you to splurge out when you go. I'd suggest that you half it and spend less on accommodations (you won't be spending much time in the room anyway) and budget some for a 2nd trip. Just my 2 cents. Dream big for the future.

I took the one month extra on the extension, but that now gives me until August 2021 so I'm really hoping I can get back at least once before that. I do think that for out of country AP holders they should have given an extra few months, but what can you do.

I phoned in and requested the refund and cancelled three more trips. When they said that I got to keep the 30 day extension though, ie August 11, I have found myself being tempted to go down next week as it is almost like a free trip park ticket wise. Plus we have DVC points that have to be used by the end of January....but my wife thankfully talked me down and said she said she wasn't going with a mask in August and half of Florida having Covid. BOOOOO Wife!!!!!! 😉

Last edited:
I bought an AP voucher through tickets at work, so I’m pretty sure I’m just stuck sitting on it until I can get to WDW in the future

I took the one month extra on the extension, but that now gives me until August 2021 so I'm really hoping I can get back at least once before that. I do think that for out of country AP holders they should have given an extra few months, but what can you do.
I agree. I think that WDW should distinguish between pass holders who ‘choose’ not to travel/accept the risks of Covid etc and those who cannot legally travel because of government imposed travel bans or restrictions. I have a trip booked for October, WDW resort booked, APRs in place etc., and if I am allowed to travel I will, but I will not know by 11 August whether the existing U.K./US travel bans/restrictions will be lifted, WDW will find me an alternative resort or British Airways will cancel the flights. Those decisions are out of my hands. Sorry for interloping your forum, but I think our plights are similar.

Found this info on the WDW site with respect to how to calculate your refund for your AP - it seems it all depends on the type of AP people have, especially those that have block out dates. I will note that I never received an email with the instructions to cancel (supposedly emailed on July 14, 2020 - I called the V.I.Passholder support line to cancel. I did receive 2 generic emails confirming the cancellation request for our 2 annual passes, so WDW and AP had my email address. I also wonder how they are handling upgrades from regular tickets to APs (we upgraded WDW tickets we got by redeeming Air Miles):
Annual Passes – Frequently Asked Questions

Q.

I’m an Annual Passholder who opted to cancel my annual pass, and I may be eligible for a refund. How will annual pass refunds be calculated?
A.

If you elected to cancel your pass(es), here’s how your refund will be calculated:
Partial Refund Eligibility/Calculation
  • The refund amount, if any, for each pass circumstance is unique and based on factors such as: new or renewal, down payment amount, refunds to date, activation date, etc.
  • If the total amount that you paid for your pass(es) (minus any refunds already given and any payments waived, returned or not collected) exceeds the “usable value” (see below) of your pass(es), that excess will be refunded to you.
  • The usable value of your pass(es) equals the total sale price of your pass(es) multiplied by the number of days that you could have visited any park prior to March 16 and divided by the total number of access days to any park permitted under the pass(es) at pass activation.
  • If you made a payment between July 11, 2020 and August 11, 2020 or a payment between March 14, 2020 and April 4, 2020 that was not already refunded, your refund will be at least the amount of any such payment(s).
How to Take Action
  • If you have already elected to cancel your pass(es), this will be automatically processed for your pass(es). You do not need to take any additional action.
  • If you have not selected any option (no action) and would like to select this option to cancel your pass(es), please refer to the email from Disney Destinations on July 14, 2020 and use the personalized link available through August 11, 2020. Or, you may call V.I.PASSHOLDER Support at (407) 939-7277. We appreciate your patience as we answer all inquiries.
  • If you previously took action to elect to continue with your pass(es) and now would like to cancel your pass(es), please call V.I.PASSHOLDER Support at (407) 939-7277. We appreciate your patience as we answer all inquiries.

I agree. I think that WDW should distinguish between pass holders who ‘choose’ not to travel/accept the risks of Covid etc and those who cannot legally travel because of government imposed travel bans or restrictions. I have a trip booked for October, WDW resort booked, APRs in place etc., and if I am allowed to travel I will, but I will not know by 11 August whether the existing U.K./US travel bans/restrictions will be lifted, WDW will find me an alternative resort or British Airways will cancel the flights. Those decisions are out of my hands. Sorry for interloping your forum, but I think our plights are similar.
Yes I’m in exactly the same situation: Ive got a trip booked for Nov and again in Jan. I’d go if I could too but as you said if it’s banned I don’t have control over that. And again because the decision had to be made by Aug 11 I did decide to cancel. If I can go I’ll just have to buy another ticket. So now I’m just waiting to see how much I get back, as someone else said I might end up better than most, with my calculations I’m hoping I get refund for 323 days but even with the above calculations that Disney provided its hard to tell what I’m actually going to get back.
Just minutes ago they AGAIN extended the travel banned to Sept 21... but we all know that mean until the end of the end😬

As promised, this is just an update to let you know I finally received my cancelled AP refund on Oct 6. It was credited to my US Visa card in the amount of $1055 US dollars which works out to be $3.23 per day from reopen date until extend expiry date of my pass. Which is OK by me! So my concern of way "overpaying" for my last trip (8 days @ beginning Feb 2020 ) goes unfounded. Taking into consideration that I got photo pass ($150 value) and free parking ($20 x 6days= $120) my park days cost me $0 dollars. or excluding those things $32 dollars a day for park entrance.

But that also means I'll have to cancel my November trip :(, but MAYBE I'll be able to go in January (but some how, I doubt it with border closures) and then I'll see if i can get another AP? And hopefully they won't have gone up toooooooo much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter