"Cancel Any Reason" Travel Insurance

Mackenzie McCarthy

Earning My Ears
Hello! I am booking a trip to Disneyland for early 2018 but it is 50/50 I will get the time off from work. That being said I don't want to miss the opportunity to go with great people and on a great discount. Has anyone ever book "cancel any reason" travel insurance? What companies do people suggest?

When will you know about the time off?

What are you booking that is NON refundable before you know about your time off?

When will you know about the time off?

What are you booking that is NON refundable before you know about your time off?
I won't know about my time off until 30 days before. The only thing that will be nonrefundable will be my airfare. Which as of right now looks like it will be WAY more expensive if I wait.

Book the CFAR insurance as soon as you buy your plane fare. It usually only reimburses you 50-75%, not the whole amount. Only insure your non-refundable amounts.

Get a quote at a trip insurance website and specify CFAR on the quotes results page

Last edited:

How much airfare are you talking and how much is the insurance? If it's just ONE person going, I would probably not get the insurance. Check what change fees are wiht your airline too. If it's a $400 ticket and hte change fees are $150, and the insurance is $100, you'd only be losing $50 extra to cancel without the insurance than paying for the insurance.

I always use insuremytripdotcom for my cruises. I’d definitely look into them. You can book through the website but I usually call. The reps are very knowledgeable and helpful. I know they have a cancel for any reason policy, but I think it needs to be purchased within a few weeks of booking the trip.

I just bought some for a trip we're taking next year. You have to buy it right after you make your first payment so pay attention to the deadline. Read the fine print and know any exclusions. Mine reimburses 75% anything up to 48 hours before the trip. I had to insure the full amount of the non-refundable portions of trip. I bought my insurance through RoamRight.

I use the same comparison site that a few others have mentioned. I have purchased several policies from different highly-rated companies (Roam Right, Travel Guard, Nationwide, etc.), but I've never had to make a claim so I can't really speak to how it would work out to actually use the insurance.

I agree to read the fine print about when you have to purchase and what the restrictions are. Another option might be that some policies offer a "cancel for work reasons" clause that specifically covers having your time off not approved and/or revoked. It doesn't cover canceling for *any* reason, but it might cover the reasons you're considering and I think the "cancel for work reasons" policies are usually less expensive than "cancel for any reason."

Is there any way you can book your airfare on Southwest? At least then you can cancel for the credit and not have to buy insurance. Might be cheaper in the long run.

Do the math, it only covers about 75%, so weigh how much you will get back minus the cost of the insurance against airline change fees.

Travel insurance providers--we shopped on the comparison sites mentioned and found CSA which is now GENERALI Travel Insurance but with better plans, including CFAR 75% & have to buy within 24 hours of trip deposit. I can vouch for GENERALI paying our claims.

Overall--better to book directly with the insurance company (not DCL or a comparison website) because you will be dealing with the insurance provider if you have to cancel.
Only insure your pre paid, non refundable parts of your trip. DCL usually offers a cruise credit. This decreases the insurance premium amount AND you get all the other benefits of the insurance/beyond cancellation like medical, evac, baggage, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter