cancel dining plan on DVC?...sorry long

Tinkerbellmom33

DIS Veteran
Just curious, since you don't pay until you arrive, can it be done? My friend just got back Sat. nite and has me re -thinking the whole thing.
She also never looked here on the DIS like I suggested, so I don't think she really understood the plan and had a rough 2nd week between crowds and SIL!!
She said it wasn't worth it, she couldn't find the snack carts in the parks and didn't want to waste an hour on a line for a soda or water because everyone was using the plan. They didn't give her the paper that says where everything was located until the last day. She was annoyed that you could only have counter service outside and it was so hot...etc.(that's where SIL comes in ;) )
Apparantly, she had a card applied to her room (they ask at check in), so she got all kinds of charges that should have been applied to her DDP and they charged it to her card!! The CM was sympathetic but told her to write a letter of complaint. From what the CM said, she wasn't the only one it happened to. It went on and on.
It sounded like she didn't research at all and Disney messed up a little. :) She's scared me off!! ahhhhh
She was also told by CM's that the pools aren't heated because the new head of Disney is cutting back . (forgot his name) Same with the AC. (oil prices) They are friends with one of the CM's at her resort and cm's were complaining in shops.
She's been there about 10 times and owns DVC, she was really disappointed. Talk about a damper 3 weeks before we leave!! :p
Was it really that bad? Is it that hard to figure out snacks and credits?
Sorry this got so long. I wound up all over the place with this one, maybe should be posted somewhere else?

There are a lot of misconceptions here.... let's see if I can straighten them out for you...
she couldn't find the snack carts in the parks and didn't want to waste an hour on a line for a soda or water because everyone was using the plan.
Snack carts are plentiful, and typically, even in summer, have waits that are in the 0-20 minute range.

They didn't give her the paper that says where everything was located until the last day.
That's unusual, but it is also unusual for a guest to not have asked for such information when it wasn't provided. You, of course, benefit from her experience, and know to ask.

She was annoyed that you could only have counter service outside and it was so hot.
The nature of counter-service eateries is that they are pretty much outside. It is true that if you are planning on eating every meal in a full-service restaurant, then the Dining Plan isn't for you. However, if you were planning on spending that much money anyway, then you probably don't need to worry about saving money using the Dining Plan, anyway! :)

Apparantly, she had a card applied to her room (they ask at check in), so she got all kinds of charges that should have been applied to her DDP and they charged it to her card!!
To be fair, it could be that your friend was confused and therefore wasn't clear to the folks at the eateries and restaurants about how she wanted things charged. Many folks like the ability to decide whether to pay using the plan versus pay using cash, at each meal, to maximize their benefit from the Dining Plan, so you can be sure that they would not want that flexibility taken away. Therefore, as a patron of the plan, you need to clearly tell the folks you hand your card to how you want your charges applied.

It sounded like she didn't research at all and Disney messed up a little. :) She's scared me off!! ahhhhh
I wouldn't let it. You know better, and have better resources at your disposal to know even more (us!).

She was also told by CM's that the pools aren't heated because the new head of Disney is cutting back .
Now she's clearly pulling your leg, because that's patently untrue. Disney still heats their pools. They have merely set the temperatures in their pools to what is recommended by the Red Cross, which is about 78 degrees.

Same with the AC. (oil prices)
I haven't heard anything specific but I sure hope that Disney is responsibly setting their usage of energy in accordance with what our leaders are telling us, conserving as much as possible. Beyond that, I wouldn't want to see prices increase too much to make up for higher fuel prices.

Talk about a damper 3 weeks before we leave!! :p
Ignore her. Have a great time.

I'm not sure why she was so bummed about her WDW trip, but it sounds like her complaints come from more than just the specifics she listed.

There are many CS places where you can eat inside in air conditioning or under shade. THese include the American Pavillion in Epcot, the food court in the Land in Epcot, one in tommorowland in MK, etc. Sorry, I don't remember the names of all the CS places, but I know where they are. There is one in MGM by Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground that looks like it is open air but is actually air conditioned. You choose where you eat.

It sounds like she didn't do her homework and was totally confused by the plan.

In DVC units, you can set the temperature to whatever you want--not sure what she means by cutting down on air conditioning. Maybe she means in public spaces--Disney isn't going to have guests uncomfortably hot. They MAY have upped to temp by a couple of degrees--I have no knowlege of this at WDW, but I've done it at home! As of December, the pools are heated!

I also wonder if her information sheet was in her check in package and she missed it (I've done this when it was attached to something else!)

I've never waited more than a few minutes at any snack cart and maybe 10 minutes at any CS restaurant whether I had the dining plan or not. Snack carts are all over the parks.

If you will eat a TS and CS each day, the DDP can't be beat. If you don't eat that way (like if you eat mostly CS or cook at your DVC unit), you can do better on price. Only you can decide if it is for you, but I wouldn't let your friend's comments disuade you. She's upset about something....but I don't think it's the plan's fault.

I wouldn't let her scare you. It sounds like she had a bad time for the reasons most people have bad times at Disney-POOR PLANNING. It sounds like she did not learn about and understand the plan. As for the room charges, most CM's asked me in Dec when I wasn't even on the plan, if I wanted to use a snack credit, CS credit, etc. everywhere I went. If they don't it's clearly the guests responsibility to tell the CM how they want to pay for something. I don't see how her writing a letter is going to reslove that one. :confused3

Also it sounds like most of her complaints-AC, pool temp, SIL, have nothing to do with the DP! There are temp controls in all DVC units. I'm sure if she had a problem she could have called and had it resolved. As for the pool temp thing, I have heard that temps are cooler now at all pools on property. There are tons of CS places with inside places to eat. I can name one or two at every park just off the top of my head and I'm not even a huge CS person! As for the SIL thing... :rotfl:

I agree with the previous posters. Your friend is playing the helpless victim here and it seems most of her claims are untrue. I don't think it's because she failed to visit DISboards...probably only about 1% of all Disney guests have ever visited this board at all...and most people never have the "problems" she is claiming to have had.

I'm not sure what this "paper that says where everything was located" is, but if she is referring to park maps they are EVERYWHERE. They are in the resort lobbies, as well as in each park.

Snack stands are EVERYWHERE and it's actually hard to NOT see them. Lines at snack stands were VERY short while I was there last month and that was during Spring Break (Disney's busiest season). I never waited behind more than 3 people for a snack.

There are probably more inside/air-conditioned CS restaurants than outside ones. Every resort has an air-conditioned CS and probably half of the places in the parks are too. Most of the Epcot CSs are inside. Cosmic Rays is inside at MK. Pizza Planet is inside at MGM. I can't even think of them all, but there are PLENTY.

As for the card charging, first of all you'll get a receipt which says what was charged and how many credits are remaining. Most people tend to look at their receipt to be sure that it is correct. Apparently your friend didn't. If she had, it could have been cleared up right on the spot. Second, if you tell the cashier to charge to the DDP, you should have no problem. Third, you don't need to have charging ability added to your card at all. I didn't. IMO it's nothing but a huge risk. It's bad enough that if you lose your MYW pass anybody can pick it up and steal your credits. Do you really want them charging souveniers, etc. to your room too? If you plan to buy things in the park it's best to carry a credit card with you. At least you have recourse with the credit card company if you lose it and somebody uses it. The recourse is not quite as easy if you lose our MYW card.

You have no reason to be nervous about using DDP on your trip.

We shouldn't let Disney get away with giving us half-truths. The Red Cross recommends 78 degrees for fitness swimming but 82 degrees for recreational swimming. I thought I read Disney was going back to heating the pools to the low 80's, if not we may need to complain.

Lowering the pool temperature lowers energy costs. The Grotto pool at S/D is cooler than Disney pools (used to be). It might make sense to lower the pool temperature but we really don't have to accept lies.

http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/aquatics/faq.htm#Q10

I don't know where the OP friend was staying but the EPCOT resort area, which include BCV and BWV doesn't really have a CS restaurant. It's not clear if the BC Marketplace participates and it's not really a CS restaurant. The pool restaurant participates but that's not the same as the food courts in other resorts.

bicker said:
Now she's clearly pulling your leg, because that's patently untrue. Disney still heats their pools. They have merely set the temperatures in their pools to what is recommended by the Red Cross, which is about 78 degrees.

I thought I read Disney was going back to heating the pools to the low 80's, if not we may need to complain.
You are correct... they did bump the heaters back to the low 80's. I had forgotten about that. So the issue is pretty-much moot, now.

bicker said:
You are correct... they did bump the heaters back to the low 80's. I had forgotten about that. So the issue is pretty-much moot, now.

Maybe not, OP's friend just got back Saturday night. Does Disney turn off the pool heaters this time of year, is the OP mistaken or is Disney silently going back to lower pool temperatures.

Given the "controversy" and the fact that Disney already decided to readjust their heaters to a higher temperature, I'd doubt that they're "silently" doing anything.

You've set me straight. :goodvibes Momentary lapse on my part!! :teeth:
I read how great it is every day on these boards. I just got off the phone with her and she got me second guessing. We decided from the start to see how the DP works for us this trip and I'm going to stick with it. She definitely didn't research it, that I know. It's very obvious now that I look back and think about her complaints. She had issues with a picky SIL on her first trip and crowds. She was there the week before and after Easter, dealing with crowds. Maybe it was too long... :rotfl: is there such a thing ;)
Definitely poor planning. As far as cs outside, maybe it was busy at the times she attempted to go. I know her SIL complained the whole time about how hot it was and made sure to tell them costantly! :rotfl2: She won't be going with her anytime soon.

She stayed at CS and then OKW. I believe the CM she was referring to was at OKW and others around parks. I'd have to ask again. I don't think she would lie (no reason to), maybe just mis-informed or she misunderstood.

The "paper" I'm refering to would be some sort of Dining Plan guide that lists partcipating restaurants and cs and snack spots? Not resort and park map. I also know that not everyone knows about these boards, but I have told her about it numerous times before she left to check it out and learn a little more. She's been to Disney more than I have.

Ac etc. had nothing to do with dining. She had dining for the 2nd week and SIL too. Not a good mix. Probably why she had so many mix ups!! She was trying not to strangle someone all week :lmao:

Tinkerbellmom33 said:
The "paper" I'm refering to would be some sort of Dining Plan guide that lists partcipating restaurants and cs and snack spots?

Also on display in the resort lobby. It should have been given to her at check-in as part of her folder, but even if it wasn't it was still on display in the lobby next to the park maps.

Lewisc said:
I don't know where the OP friend was staying but the EPCOT resort area, which include BCV and BWV doesn't really have a CS restaurant. It's not clear if the BC Marketplace participates and it's not really a CS restaurant. The pool restaurant participates but that's not the same as the food courts in other resorts.

At BWV, guests have access to Boardwalk Bakery and The Pizza window for counter service. At BCV, guests can use Hurricane Hannahs as well as the Marketplace. You can also use snack credits in the Screen Door. We were able to get excellent sandwiches and salads at Boardwalk Bakery for counter service. It's not quite the same as the foodcourts, but possibly preferable, as on the one night we spent at Pop, their food court was a zoo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter