Cancellations relating to health?

Distopia

Mouseketeer
We were travelling with my parents and, sadly, found out today that they will be unable to join us, as my father's cancer has returned. He will begin treatment right away and our trip is 6 weeks away.

We had 3 meals scheduled together and I seem to recall that we are not able to modify those bookings, but must cancel and rebook. They are coveted restaurants during free dining that I made as soons as the phone lines opened on the 180 day mark, so I doubt rebooking is an option. Am I correct in my assumptions, or are we able to drop two people from our bookings without penalty? I really appreciate any help anyone may have on this matter.

We were travelling with my parents and, sadly, found out today that they will be unable to join us, as my father's cancer has returned. He will begin treatment right away and our trip is 6 weeks away.

We had 3 meals scheduled together and I seem to recall that we are not able to modify those bookings, but must cancel and rebook. They are coveted restaurants during free dining that I made as soons as the phone lines opened on the 180 day mark, so I doubt rebooking is an option. Am I correct in my assumptions, or are we able to drop two people from our bookings without penalty? I really appreciate any help anyone may have on this matter.

First I'd like to offer support and encouragement to your father...I'm so very sorry to hear his cancer has returned. Best wishes to him as he continues to fight that nasty battle :hug:

I would first try calling and explaining your situation and seeing if they are able to adjust your reservations accordingly. They may not be able to, but it can't hurt to try.
I'm assuming that when you say that these were coveted restaurants, that means you had to give a credit card guarantee in order to make the reservation? If I were you, what I would do is keep them and just go to the meal and explain the situation when you get there. I think you will be VERY hard pressed to find any manager who will charge for the two no-shows on your ressie (although by all rights they are ENTITLED to) and enjoy your meal. Worst case you'll have to accept the $20 no show fee for your parents but if you really want to keep the reservations, that's kinda the chance you're going to have to take IMO. But again, I REALLY don't think any of the managers are going to charge you for your parents not coming due to the circumstances. The point of the charge is really more for people not showing up AT ALL. Too many people were double booking meals and then not cancelling and then others couldn't get a reservation at all. I think it was a great idea except I have a friend who doesn't have a credit card so she's kinda screwed.... :sad1: Sorry for getting off topic... But that would be my advice. I think you'll be fine, but only you can decide because there is a small risk... a $20 one... but how much do you want to keep those ressies???
I hope your dad does well.... Blessings to him! :grouphug:

Actually I was just reading tonight where is says that if you have an ADR for 6 and only 4 so up there is no cancellation charge for the other 2 as you did show up for your reservation.

I would also try calling the dining line to see if they can change the number in your party.

I'm sorry for your fathers cancer is back. Call the reservation line and they should be able to modify the reservations with no problem. We had to modify a bunch because my inlaws can't decide anything.

Im really sorry to hear about dads cancer returning,

We have booked aload of ressies for our 15 night trip in October, I was ment to have Major surgery on my head last wk but when i got to the hospital was told after waiting that they over ran in theatre ,They then decided that my Op was more complexed then 1st thought for a small hospital and want to do it in a bigger one so now my date is 20th of this month leaving me with a month less recovery time!

Anyways I was worried that because I would still be in the recovering stage from having the Tumour and infected bone removed etc that i would struggle and be tired with all there is at Disney......
Soi called and asked what would happen if i didnt come to the ressies i was told that we would NOT be charged!!! As long as 1 person turns up for the reservation that is all that is needed and the others are just removed!

Which is good as you never know what can happen on holiday child sick etc

I wish your dad the best of luck and hope that he makes a very speedy recovery pixiedust:

Couldn't your friend purchase a prepaid credit card at the grocery store? I am assuming those work as long as you have enough to cover the charges.

First I'd like to offer support and encouragement to your father...I'm so very sorry to hear his cancer has returned. Best wishes to him as he continues to fight that nasty battle :hug:

I would first try calling and explaining your situation and seeing if they are able to adjust your reservations accordingly. They may not be able to, but it can't hurt to try.
I'm assuming that when you say that these were coveted restaurants, that means you had to give a credit card guarantee in order to make the reservation? If I were you, what I would do is keep them and just go to the meal and explain the situation when you get there. I think you will be VERY hard pressed to find any manager who will charge for the two no-shows on your ressie (although by all rights they are ENTITLED to) and enjoy your meal. Worst case you'll have to accept the $20 no show fee for your parents but if you really want to keep the reservations, that's kinda the chance you're going to have to take IMO. But again, I REALLY don't think any of the managers are going to charge you for your parents not coming due to the circumstances. The point of the charge is really more for people not showing up AT ALL. Too many people were double booking meals and then not cancelling and then others couldn't get a reservation at all. I think it was a great idea except I have a friend who doesn't have a credit card so she's kinda screwed.... :sad1: Sorry for getting off topic... But that would be my advice. I think you'll be fine, but only you can decide because there is a small risk... a $20 one... but how much do you want to keep those ressies???
I hope your dad does well.... Blessings to him! :grouphug:

Original Poster...Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope the treatment goes well for him. I don't have any knowledge about the reservations, but it can't hurt to call and ask reservations.

Thank you so much for all your kind and thoughtful replies. :love: I think we will hold onto the reservations, as there is a possibility that there will be no surgical option and they may join us for a few days to enjoy the resort and grandchildren, if he's well enough.

My Dad is the one who instilled the Disney magic in our family, beginning in the 70s in Disneyland and later in the 80s at WDW. We have often gathered all 14 (parents, kids, grandchildren) even in adulthood and I was so hoping for one last time. So, we'll keep hoping and thanks again for your help.

Sending good thoughts for your dad, I hope you guys are able to have at least one more trip together. As for your reservations, we have gone before and not had everyone show up, but like the others have said, as long as someone shows up, no penalty. We had one trip where we all took turns getting sick so some combination of parent and child(ren) went to various reservations, they were very understanding about it all

I am so sorry to hear of your bad news. I am not sure how they are now, but several years ago, we had to cancel our hotel ressies due to my mother's cancer and her surgery. I found out less than 5 days remaining prior to check in (you are supposed to give 5 days cancellation notice). I called them and explained to them what happened, they were great, they cancelled our ressies without a penalty. I would just call up and tell them what is going on, see what they say. I do think they understand emergencies like this.
I hope all works out for your family both with Disney and with your Father's treatment's :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter