Cancelled Cruises and Refunds

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
I am just curious, has Disney provided refunds to anyone who cancelled? We cancelled our April 2020 cruise (we should have waited, it was cancelled 2 days later) and rescheduled for this April. We have 2 rooms, 3 people in each (myself, dh, my mom, dd and two ds's). My kids are adults, and it was crazy difficult to schedule our 2020 cruise and even more difficult to reschedule. Honestly, a third reschedule just won't work.

Any speculation as to what could happen as more and more cruises are cancelled? Previously, I asked if I could use the total amount paid for just my dh and mom, so we could upgrade cabins, use the remaining for onboard credit and was told no. I was also thinking, if only we could use the amount paid for another Disney vacation, like a ABD, Aulani or DW.

Just wondering.

I am just curious, has Disney provided refunds to anyone who cancelled? We cancelled our April 2020 cruise (we should have waited, it was cancelled 2 days later) and rescheduled for this April. We have 2 rooms, 3 people in each (myself, dh, my mom, dd and two ds's). My kids are adults, and it was crazy difficult to schedule our 2020 cruise and even more difficult to reschedule. Honestly, a third reschedule just won't work.

Any speculation as to what could happen as more and more cruises are cancelled? Previously, I asked if I could use the total amount paid for just my dh and mom, so we could upgrade cabins, use the remaining for onboard credit and was told no. I was also thinking, if only we could use the amount paid for another Disney vacation, like a ABD, Aulani or DW.

Just wondering.
Currently, if you cancel, you get back whatever monies are refundable at that point, depending on how far out you are from your cruise.

If DCL, cancels the cruise, most recently, they've given you the option of 100% refund of all monies paid at that time, OR (if you've already Paid in Full) a future cruise credit of 125%.

I guess I'm wondering if they cancel again, would I be able to get a refund or just cruise credit? Since I cancelled my cruise originally, but then rescheduled, I don't know what DCL will do.

I guess I'm wondering if they cancel again, would I be able to get a refund or just cruise credit? Since I cancelled my cruise originally, but then rescheduled, I don't know what DCL will do.
Since you canceled the first cruise, and then made a new reservation on another cruise, I don't think how the first cancellation was handled affects how they would handle a subsequent one.

Typically, any future cruise credit is assigned to each individual, and is not combine-able (so 3 people can't use all the FCC for 6 people).

Last edited:

That's nice to hear......because if Disney cancels again, I will have to give up (obviously because they have to....I get that) our family trip.
Luckily, I can hang in there and let Disney do the dirty work, not me.
But gosh, I really want to take everyone!

Thanks for your input.

How long are refunds taking these days?
That’s what I’m trying to figure out. When we were cancelled in April, I had my money back the next day. I haven’t seen anything yet from Monday. TA said 1-2 credit card billing cycles. It doesn’t take 60 days to to receive a credit unless they are holding on to them for a while. Just read a report that is what Carnival is doing. I hope it’s not long. That will truly leave a bad taste in my mouth for DCL.

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. When we were cancelled in April, I had my money back the next day. I haven’t seen anything yet from Monday. TA said 1-2 credit card billing cycles. It doesn’t take 60 days to to receive a credit unless they are holding on to them for a while. Just read a report that is what Carnival is doing. I hope it’s not long. That will truly leave a bad taste in my mouth for DCL.

I called DCL last night to request a refund for my daughter's cancelled September 21, 2020 cruise. The agent I spoke with said she should receive her refund in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Can you use the FCC to pay off a future existing reservation that you have only paid deposit on or does FCC have to be used toward a future new booking. The FCC notice e-mail that people have shown on here doesn't say, it just says credit toward a future cruise. Doesn't say anything about the future cruise having to be a new one. Thanks

Can you use the FCC to pay off a future existing reservation that you have only paid deposit on or does FCC have to be used toward a future new booking. The FCC notice e-mail that people have shown on here doesn't say, it just says credit toward a future cruise. Doesn't say anything about the future cruise having to be a new one. Thanks
When my July cruise was cancelled I was allowed to put its FCC onto another cruise I already had booked & paid the deposit for.

Last edited:
Yes. That $250 is fully refundable and will be included - when you booked the cruise with it, it was applied to your balance.
That’s right. Not sure what I was thinking- thank you. It’s still the case that the discount isn’t extended beyond the 24 month mark even for canceled cruises, correct?

That’s right. Not sure what I was thinking- thank you. It’s still the case that the discount isn’t extended beyond the 24 month mark even for canceled cruises, correct?
There have been numerous reports here that DCL will all you to extend your OBB benefits beyond the 24 months IF you had used the OBB to book the cruise and then DCL cancelled the cruise. Placeholders without a specific sailing date are NOT being extended.

There have been numerous reports here that DCL will all you to extend your OBB benefits beyond the 24 months IF you had used the OBB to book the cruise and then DCL cancelled the cruise. Placeholders without a specific sailing date are NOT being extended.
I have a fully paid cruise that I moved to next year. The transatlantic would be within my two years and the Panama would not. So your saying I may be able to use it on the Panama cruise?

I have a fully paid cruise that I moved to next year. The transatlantic would be within my two years and the Panama would not. So your saying I may be able to use it on the Panama cruise?
If DCL canceled the cruise then yes. If you just want to move a cruise that hasn’t been canceled, then I think the answer is no. But you can always call and ask!

If DCL canceled the cruise then yes. If you just want to move a cruise that hasn’t been canceled, then I think the answer is no. But you can always call and ask!
yes it was cancelled.

2-3 weeks seems to be the average for DCL based on what I have been able to follow, even though the reps are telling people up to 60 days. They seem to be one of the best. I have been following complaints with most of the major lines as how they are treating refunds now will inform where I put my vacation dollars in the future. For comparison's sake for my MSC cancelled cruise I waited just over 60 days from when I requested my refund to dispute the charge with my CC company. I then had to wait another 60 days for MSC to not respond to my CC company (because MSC couldnt do the right thing and just respond that they cancelled the cruise and I was due a refund) before my credit became permanant. So 4 months and I only got a refund because I disputed. My situation is far from unique for MSC's clientele.

Hi!

Does anyone know if I modify my dates for the cruise I booked using my placeholder, and pick another cruise for a later date, do I get the OBB 10% discount automatically for the new sailing? Also, this can't be done online, right?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!