Cancelling Disney last minute...freaking out

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
Hey folks! Really, I think I am just needing a place to vent and freak out and spew.

So, 4.5 hours from now, my Mom and Dad are supposed to be on a flight to WDW for a family vacation with extended family. I opted not to go this time around, but while home, I received a call from my aunt's husband for my Dad to call, that it was important. This call came about 9:50 pm, pretty late, so I worried that it was important. I was shaking, because I didn't know what to do. But, I did probably the right thing and passed the message onto my Mom.

About 10 minutes later, my Mom texts me that my aunt has passed away. Now, we aren't particularly close, but it's still a shock and it's still family, you know? But, it had just happened, and they wouldn't know anything more about arrangements or anything like that till in the morning, maybe not even then, because they are having an autopsy done. Well, my parents' flight was at 6 am, so they had to make a decision by then, and they decided not to go....at least not now until they find out arrangements. There is chance the funeral may not be until next weekend, but there is also a chance it could be early or mid week, too.

They rented points from an individual DVC owner so I don't know how that will work. My plan is to call SSR in the morning and explain the situation. They may be down there sometime this week, but they may not. The timing was really terrible on this, but I guess there is not really a good time for these things to happen, either.

What is best case scenario, worst case scenario, likely scenarios? Etc etc. For example, I am wondering if SSR would let us take the days from this weekend and add them onto next weekend, if they go down midweek.

I am sorry for your loss.

We were in a similar position a couple of years ago...my FIL was terminally ill and nearing his last days so we cancelled our trip. We had rented points through a DVC rental service and that was a complete loss. The only thing we got back was a refund for tickets for the Christmas party. Typically reservations are forfeited when you don’t check in on the scheduled arrival date but I don’t know if online check in overrides that. They may be able to change the arrival date but it’s unlikely they will be able to add on days at the end as DVC availability isn’t flexible at the last minute. The DVC member may need to call to change the arrival date since they control the reservation. Good luck.

Given that you rented points from a private owner, I think you need to contact them - I don't think that there is anything SSR is going to be able to do anything for you. Moving the dates would require there being DVC space available (and the owner being able to move). You may want to ask on the DVC board about moving DVC reservations.

Hey folks! Really, I think I am just needing a place to vent and freak out and spew.

So, 4.5 hours from now, my Mom and Dad are supposed to be on a flight to WDW for a family vacation with extended family. I opted not to go this time around, but while home, I received a call from my aunt's husband for my Dad to call, that it was important. This call came about 9:50 pm, pretty late, so I worried that it was important. I was shaking, because I didn't know what to do. But, I did probably the right thing and passed the message onto my Mom.

About 10 minutes later, my Mom texts me that my aunt has passed away. Now, we aren't particularly close, but it's still a shock and it's still family, you know? But, it had just happened, and they wouldn't know anything more about arrangements or anything like that till in the morning, maybe not even then, because they are having an autopsy done. Well, my parents' flight was at 6 am, so they had to make a decision by then, and they decided not to go....at least not now until they find out arrangements. There is chance the funeral may not be until next weekend, but there is also a chance it could be early or mid week, too.

They rented points from an individual DVC owner so I don't know how that will work. My plan is to call SSR in the morning and explain the situation. They may be down there sometime this week, but they may not. The timing was really terrible on this, but I guess there is not really a good time for these things to happen, either.

What is best case scenario, worst case scenario, likely scenarios? Etc etc. For example, I am wondering if SSR would let us take the days from this weekend and add them onto next weekend, if they go down midweek.
I'd be surprised if the resort can do anything for your parents. As mentioned, you'd have to contact who you rented points through.

The best case scenario is the renter can either refund their money to change the dates. Even if he could change the dates, are they going to want to go to Disney immediately following a funeral?
Worst case scenario is they're out the money. I think that's also the likely scenario. They're also going to be probably be out money for changing the flight.

I'm not sure this is worth anyone freaking out about.

As mentioned previously there’s very little flexibility with rented points, but contacting the points owner is worth a shot.

But also important is to understand, if there’s a pssoibility your parents may decide to go a day or two late, and use the last days of the reservation, they must call the resort and let them know that today. A no show on the first day forfeits the entire reservation, unless arrangements are made.

SSR won't do anything. The DVC owner owns the points and since the reservation was paid in full at time of booking and is non-refundable, they'll be out the money for the resort unless the DVC owner can re-schedule. Why are you freaking out? It is their trip, not yours. :confused3

If it was me, I would have gone on the vacation as planned and came home if needed due to funeral arrangements.

Last edited:
How did they pay for their points? Some credit cards offer trip insurance, they would have to read the fine print to see what conditions it would cover.

Like others said, contact the DVC owner so they can contact the SSR. Then your parents should hop on the next flight! You mentioned autopsy..thinking that adds a few days. If they cancel, most likely will be out the $$$. I would go for the days I could.

I'm not sure this is worth anyone freaking out about.

The freak-out on their end comes from just having no information and not knowing what decision to make. It feels wrong to forgo a vacation with family we are very close to for family that we aren't all that close to. But, family is family. And, I know they would regret it if they could not be there to say goodbye.

I think they are just worried they will make the wrong decision. Right now, they are thinking of scrapping it altogether, but if they do that and find out services are next Saturday...then they will feel as if they have thrown away nearly $1,300, when they could have at least salvaged a few days. I think if they had answers as to the plans, the apprehension would be much less on their part.

SSR won't do anything. The DVC owner owns the points and since the reservation was paid in full at time of booking and is non-refundable, they'll be out the money for the resort unless the DVC owner can re-schedule. Why are you freaking out? It is their trip, not yours. :confused3

If it was me, I would have gone on the vacation as planned and came home if needed do to funeral arrangements.

Well, I am essentially their de facto travel agent, and once everything hit the fan last night, they basically turned to me to handle all of the re-arranging of flights, re-scheduling, checking to see about the resort. And like I said above, I don't know what to tell the person we rented points from. I don't know what to tell Disney. It could be a cancel, a re-schedule, an early or late visit....I just don't know.

My sister and I both agree with you. We tried to steer them in that direction. I mean...what can they do here? If it had happened 12 hours later, they would be in Florida already, and maybe the husband could delay the funeral so my parents could be there. But...that's not what happened, so no use harping on it.

How did they pay for their points? Some credit cards offer trip insurance, they would have to read the fine print to see what conditions it would cover.

Yes, they do have have trip protection on their credit card, which is why they did not purchase it separately. I think the money is the least part of it right now...like someone said, worst case scenario, they are out the money. Maybe they can get it re-scheduled, or maybe they can get it covered by insurance.

But, right now, the main thing is being able to salvage any part of this trip if at all possible...which they won't know till they know something.

The freak-out on their end comes from just having no information and not knowing what decision to make. It feels wrong to forgo a vacation with family we are very close to for family that we aren't all that close to. But, family is family. And, I know they would regret it if they could not be there to say goodbye.

I think they are just worried they will make the wrong decision. Right now, they are thinking of scrapping it altogether, but if they do that and find out services are next Saturday...then they will feel as if they have thrown away nearly $1,300, when they could have at least salvaged a few days. I think if they had answers as to the plans, the apprehension would be much less on their part.

Well, I am essentially their de facto travel agent, and once everything hit the fan last night, they basically turned to me to handle all of the re-arranging of flights, re-scheduling, checking to see about the resort. And like I said above, I don't know what to tell the person we rented points from. I don't know what to tell Disney. It could be a cancel, a re-schedule, an early or late visit....I just don't know.

My sister and I both agree with you. We tried to steer them in that direction. I mean...what can they do here? If it had happened 12 hours later, they would be in Florida already, and maybe the husband could delay the funeral so my parents could be there. But...that's not what happened, so no use harping on it.

Yes, they do have have trip protection on their credit card, which is why they did not purchase it separately. I think the money is the least part of it right now...like someone said, worst case scenario, they are out the money. Maybe they can get it re-scheduled, or maybe they can get it covered by insurance.

But, right now, the main thing is being able to salvage any part of this trip if at all possible...which they won't know till they know something.
Unless your name is listed on the reservation, the DVC owner won't talk to you.

There’s no way to contact a Disney resort directly. All inbound calls go to a call center. They’ll answer “Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort,” but they’re not there.

Even if you could reach the resort, they couldn’t do anything for you. The DVC member who made the reservation owns it, and they are the only person who can make changes. DVC Member Services won’t even discuss that reservation with anyone else.

If you have a way to contact the owner, or the broker (if your parents used one), I suppose you could try talking to them. But unless your parents had trip insurance, it’s highly unlikely they’ll get any money back. Because of the same day cancellation, the points will likely be lost, so there’s nothing to re-book with. And most rental contracts specify no refunds, no changes.

I’m sorry, I know it stinks to lose that much money, especially while grieving a family member. That’s the downside to vacation rentals.

Unless your name is listed on the reservation, the DVC owner won't talk to you.

Actually, I have been going back and forth with the DVC owner a bit this morning already. As I said, as the person who handles all their stuff (travel or not) I was the one who was in contact with him in the first place. I was actually the lead guest on the reservation for a bit, until I was unable to go, but point being, I have been able to make contact with him.

The Disney computers are down right now, I guess (shocker), so he wasn't really able to do anything yet, when it rains it pours.

There’s no way to contact a Disney resort directly. All inbound calls go to a call center. They’ll answer “Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort,” but they’re not there.

Even if you could reach the resort, they couldn’t do anything for you. The DVC member who made the reservation owns it, and they are the only person who can make changes. DVC Member Services won’t even discuss that reservation with anyone else.

If you have a way to contact the owner, or the broker (if your parents used one), I suppose you could try talking to them. But unless your parents had trip insurance, it’s highly unlikely they’ll get any money back. Because of the same day cancellation, the points will likely be lost, so there’s nothing to re-book with. And most rental contracts specify no refunds, no changes.

I’m sorry, I know it stinks to lose that much money, especially while grieving a family member. That’s the downside to vacation rentals.

I am under the impression that in some circumstances, it could go into a "holding account" which has to be used like within a month or two, so a re-schedule is a possibility, but who knows.

Trip insurance takes care of the risk in situations like this.
My next trip I am planning a long trip and I was mostly interested in the Boardwalk Villa or the GF villa (those were so pretty) and it was over 500 to insure it. Meh. And then with my experiences, I am not sure I trust that I would totally be covered. I've lost twice on buying tickets and insurance in the past.

Usually when we do a BIG trip, we do trip insurance, but since the only expenses they had incurred was room and flight, they decided to rely on their CC trip protection, which according to the fine print, should work out. I am sure providing the "right" documentation will be a hassle, but in theory, it should be covered.

Right now, the worst of it is just being in limbo. I have a feeling they are going to kick themselves, either way.

Actually, I have been going back and forth with the DVC owner a bit this morning already. As I said, as the person who handles all their stuff (travel or not) I was the one who was in contact with him in the first place. I was actually the lead guest on the reservation for a bit, until I was unable to go, but point being, I have been able to make contact with him.
Another reason why I'll never rent points. No one else should be discussing my reservation with the owner.

Another reason why I'll never rent points. No one else should be discussing my reservation with the owner.

But surely you can understand there are exceptions to the rule sometimes.

It was my Paypal account that the transaction took place on, and despite the reservation being in my mother's name, it's attached to my MDE profile. It's not like I am some random person on the street.

I am very grateful that this gentleman is being so understanding of the situation and is willing to help us out. If he requires to talk to my Mom, I will have my mom call, although I am not really sure she is in much of a state to handle things like this right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter