Cancer patient with questions

Julie in PA

Earning My Ears
I am a cancer patient. We will probably be coming to WDW in a few months on a trip given to us through a respite charity. We won't be staying on site. It will be me (50), my DH (47), and our 12yo daughter. We are Disney Veterans. My husband wants to rent an ECV for me for the parks. I don't have trouble walking, but I do fatigue easier now and don't walk as fast as I used to. My question is: is there a place I can park the ECV when I want to walk. I really just need the ECV to get from place to place. I would much rather wait in line on my feet than on the ECV. Also can I park the ECV outside of rides - like when we are in Epcot and I want to go into the land etc, can I park it outside the building? We are hardcore Disney people and do open to close, I do realize I won't know how I will do until I get there and I may need the ECV much more than I think I will.

Do I need to bring any type of paperwork with me about my disability? and since I am immunosuppressed, will Disney Buffets accommodate by bringing me a plate out? I know most will say just avoid buffets, but I know my daughter will want to go to a character meal and most are buffets. Her life has changed in the last 6 months enough that I will not deny her a character meal.

Am I able to bring my pain pills and nausea pills into the parks in one bottle or do I need to carry them separately in their appropriate bottles? Thank you all in advance for your answers. I haven't been on this board for a few years and had to reregister.

plenty of places to park an ECV but you will want to make sure you leave nothing valuable behind while still making it easily identifiable as yours. but keys are an issue, as a CM may need to move it, but if you leave it, then the ECV could drive itself away.

no paperwork is required and no one will look at it. you should at minimum bring a list of the meds in case security decides to inspect more closely.

as for bringing a plate out from a buffet, all you can do is ask, but don't just expect or assume they can or will.

I am a cancer patient. We will probably be coming to WDW in a few months on a trip given to us through a respite charity. We won't be staying on site. It will be me (50), my DH (47), and our 12yo daughter. We are Disney Veterans. My husband wants to rent an ECV for me for the parks. I don't have trouble walking, but I do fatigue easier now and don't walk as fast as I used to. My question is: is there a place I can park the ECV when I want to walk. I really just need the ECV to get from place to place. I would much rather wait in line on my feet than on the ECV. Also can I park the ECV outside of rides - like when we are in Epcot and I want to go into the land etc, can I park it outside the building? We are hardcore Disney people and do open to close, I do realize I won't know how I will do until I get there and I may need the ECV much more than I think I will.

Do I need to bring any type of paperwork with me about my disability? and since I am immunosuppressed, will Disney Buffets accommodate by bringing me a plate out? I know most will say just avoid buffets, but I know my daughter will want to go to a character meal and most are buffets. Her life has changed in the last 6 months enough that I will not deny her a character meal.

Am I able to bring my pain pills and nausea pills into the parks in one bottle or do I need to carry them separately in their appropriate bottles? Thank you all in advance for your answers. I haven't been on this board for a few years and had to reregister.
as another poster said I would bring at least a list of the meds if not in their bottles just in case something would happen and you need to let med staff know what you are taking. we did this with adult daughter who took a lot of meds. only had to use once but first aid was glad to have the list of what she took

There are lots of places to park the ECV outside attractions. Often it is with the strollers. Be sure to fold the seat down if it is rainy or real hot. Also if there is a chance of rain, cover the control box with the little plastic hat the scooter company will provide or use a plastic sack before you go inside. Scooters are not fond of water.

Consider the wait time and distance in line when you decide to park and walk. It is a bit of challenge to get the ECV to ground level in Land. The elevator is small and getting in and out tight. But Standing in the line for Soaring can be overwhelming if you are weak. You can ride the ECV all the way to the theater and the cast members will tell you where to park. I always stay on the ECV at Land. There is ground floor ECV parking near the exit to Living With the Land if you decide to eat in their food court.

Toy Story (stairs) and the Safari are others where the que line can be deceptively long. I stay on the ECV for those too. MK is the best to park and walk in my opinion.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

many answered about the ECV, so I will answer the buffet question. Yes they will if you ask, but I would mark on your ressies and allergy or something so the chef comes and talks to you. I am allergic to fish so I marked the. When I got to a ADR they would ask and I asked to talk to chef, I told them what I wanted to eat and they would bring me a plate of it, so it is better if you have an idea. An example, we went to cape May fish right, well the chef came out and was going to tell me what to eat, and I just said, can you just make me a plate of white chicken, asparagus, brown rice, and a small salad, and in 10 minutes she delivered it to the table. Yes, I had cancer also, so it will work, I would just have a slight idea of what you want them to bring. We went to many buffets and it worked for me, arkushus, capemay, tucker, crystal palace, garden grill, chef mickeys, 1900 park fare, and many more, I had not problem with any, but I did as I say give them a heads up I. That I marked an allergy so they were prepared to maybe make me something special.

One other small hint, practice in a store with the ECV, it helps. You may need it more than you think. It took me two years post cancer treatment to be able to walk Disney again.

I am a cancer patient... ...and since I am immunosuppressed, will Disney Buffets accommodate by bringing me a plate out? I know most will say just avoid buffets, but I know my daughter will want to go to a character meal and most are buffets. Her life has changed in the last 6 months enough that I will not deny her a character meal.

Contact Disney directly regarding your dietary needs: Special Dietary Requests Here is the email address for Special Diets.

Maybe you could try a family style character meal instead of a buffet? That would reduce the number of people touching utensils/food to just your group. It also might be a more relaxing meal if you're feeling especially tired since you won't have to be getting up and going to the buffet.

I hope you have a great trip!

I just responded in detail to the other thread about immunocompromised and buffets, but the short answer is yes they will bring you plated food from the back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter