Cancer race deferral for Fairy Tale Challenge

AJollyHoliday

Practically Perfect Disney Lover
I registered my husband and I for the Fairy Tale Challenge back in May. One week later, I had surgery to remove what doctors thought was a benign tumor in my breast. A few days later I found out it was breast cancer. This is my second battle with cancer and I am only 41! I thought I could still do the race and just go slower than I have in the past (this would have been my 5th Disney race). I am finishing chemo this week and just met with my surgeon to start the next step of my treatment. I have to have 6 weeks of radiation after I heal from surgery. When we talked it over with my surgeon, we realized running/walking these races would not be doable. I reached out to rundisney to see if I can get defer or get something refunded. I just wanted to hear if anyone has had a similar thing happen. I know races are non-refundable, but this is cancer!

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, a cancer diagnosis is always so tragic but especially in someone so young. Good luck with treatment, I'm thinking good thoughts for you!

Unfortunately from what I've heard, Disney is quite strict on refunds and deferrals no matter the circumstances. I've seen stories of people who were pregnant, had major surgery, had a death in the family, etc. who say that Disney still refused to refund them. Until a few years ago there was a deferral process, but Disney ended up scrapping it altogether and now don't offer deferrals either. I don't have any personal experience but have just read about it in RunDisney facebook groups, on Reddit, etc. I hope they would be willing to make an exception for you, but I wouldn't bank on it unfortunately.

Did you book through a travel agency by any chance? Sometimes they can be more flexible than Disney and might be willing to work with you.

I was refunded 50% for the 2019 Princess Half in the form of a Disney Gift Card. I only had a hip stress fracture though. I think it really depends who opens your email as to what their decision will be. Email is the best contact for them because all calls are sent to a regular customer service line which usually isn't much help.

I was refunded 50% for the 2019 Princess Half in the form of a Disney Gift Card. I only had a hip stress fracture though. I think it really depends who opens your email as to what their decision will be. Email is the best contact for them because all calls are sent to a regular customer service line which usually isn't much help.

I am sorry for your stress fracture. I would love a 50% refund! What email address did you use?

Since they don't have an official deferral process anymore, it's all on an individual basis now. Best of luck with everything.

My sister was given a full refund of $432 for her wine and dine races after being diagnosed with breast cancer in June. She just clicked on Contact us on the runDisney site. Get a letter from your doctor, just in case, although she wasn't asked for it. Good luck both with runDisney and cancer!!

She got a refund on a Disney Gift Card - and it was less the administrative fees charged when you sign up.

I am happy to update that a woman named Mary called me the other day. She said that everyone at runDisney would like me to just focus on getting healthy again and to have no worries so they were refunding my husband and I are full amount. I was beyond excited and so appreciative. I have to admit, canceling our race and being able to focus on my treatments without the worry of training is a huge relief! We put the funds aside so we can register for Princess 2021 when I am healthy and ready to enjoy the courses.

Thank you everyone for your help and support!

My sister was given a full refund of $432 for her wine and dine races after being diagnosed with breast cancer in June. She just clicked on Contact us on the runDisney site. Get a letter from your doctor, just in case, although she wasn't asked for it. Good luck both with runDisney and cancer!!

Best of luck to your sister! I hope that her treatments so well.

I am happy to update that a woman named Mary called me the other day. She said that everyone at runDisney would like me to just focus on getting healthy again and to have no worries so they were refunding my husband and I are full amount. I was beyond excited and so appreciative. I have to admit, canceling our race and being able to focus on my treatments without the worry of training is a huge relief! We put the funds aside so we can register for Princess 2021 when I am healthy and ready to enjoy the courses.

Thank you everyone for your help and support!

That’s fantastic news!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter