Candlelight Processional - advice on whether to attend or not

Mazzy

Planning for 2019
Hi everyone :wave:

I would love to attend the Candlelight Processional during our trip in December, but wonder whether it would be worth me going or not.

I am partially deaf, using a hearing aid. I don't find hearing loops much use, I can hear the voice but not make out what they are saying. I can hear music pretty well with my hearing aid and do attend concerts now and then (pop music generally, nice and loud!) and enjoy them a lot.

Now I'm sure I would enjoy the carols at the processional but the readings are another matter. Has anyone attended the Processional? How many readings are there? What percentage do they take up of the concert? I don't sign, well I know a little of BSL (I'm from the UK) but not enough to follow a signer, just the alphabet and a little more. I love the captions on shows such as Fantasmic they are great, but I don't suppose there is anything similar for the Processional is there?

Just wondering if it is worth going to. The rest of my family are hearing so don't have a problem.

I would love to hear anyone's experiences of this show, and whether you think it is worth me going.

I am not deaf, so I cannot speak from that viewpoint, but it is a very beautiful show - visual as well as aural. The music and singing is fairly loud, and the physical vibrations are noticeable - I think it would be worth your while. They may be able to provide a written text... ???

It is well worth seeing even if you can't understand the narration. I have gone with and without interpreters and enjoyed it both ways. The music is awesome. Without interpreters I don't understand the narration but since it is pretty much the standard story from the Bible you still know what is happening.
Now I must say I enjoy it more with the interpreter especially if it is Angela or Tara but that is because I do sign. Plus Angela in incredible and Tara comes very close.

Thanks Lisa and Teri for your advice :D

I will look into the possibility of a script being made available, as it would help a lot. Do you know whether there is allocated seating for the deaf, as even though I don't sign, the nearer the front the better as regards lipreading. And would my hearing family be able to sit with me? It's just DH and 2 children but they are all hearing. They did sit with me at Fantasmic so maybe it would be OK. Do you have to reserve seating if you want the special area or is it first come first served?

Thanks so much for your help :D

Yes there is an area set aside when there is an interpreter. Your family would be able to sit with you. No problem with that. Contact Mark Jones before you go and he can give you details. Mark is wonderfully helpful. I am just about to contact him for my next trip.

I may be wrong in this and if I am please someone clarify....

I seem to recall some reflective captioning going on the night I went yr b4 last...

anyone?

I don't have hearing problems, so cannot comment on signing, other than to say that the processional I attended was signed. The person signing was magnificent. Very dramatic gestures that reflected the music. She got a huge round of applause at the end.

If you can hear the music, you will enjoy the orchestra and the music, even without the words. My wife & I went twice first time we had carol sheets with all the words, second time a few nights later we didn't - they apparently run out!

Finally - the package includes a discounted meal. If you intend to eat a epcot, it pays to take a processional package even if you don't show up at the concert itself. And you get a free lanyard and pin plus a discount on all purchases in epcot that day.

So buy the package, attend the concert and if you don't enjoy it, slip out - you will still have got your mony's worth!!!

(all as of December 1999 - double check terms for this year)

Andrew

Andrew it doens''t matter if it is signed as the signing is in American Sign Language and Mazzy doesn't use that.
Was the interpreter an older somewhat heavy Hispanic woman? If so she is really incredible. Definately into the music and narration. I saw her this year in November with Marlee Matlin. She only did the music portion for that as Marlee Matlin narrated in ASL and her own interpreter voiced for her.

Speaking of Marlee Matlin ... she was wonderful at the Candlelight Processional last year. We truly enjoyed her presentaton. And yes, we, too, enjoy the interpreters at the Candlelight Processional.

Judith is the one I described the one you saw? That is Angela. Wow is all I can say about her. My interpreting instructor knows her and I had seen her at the Deaf Studies Conference last April in Orlando. She is well known in the interpreting field. There are actually 3 women that are pretty incredible. I saw a diffferent one, Tara, when I went in December. I have a picture of Tara in the pictures I posted. She looks like a younger version of Angela. She did both the music and narration. And in 2000 I saw a middle aged slender dark haired woman that I have never seen again.

Lisa, when I first went to the Candlelight Processional several years ago, the friends I was with said we should be sure to watch the conductor & the interpreters - both were quite animated & into their work! I don't know anyones name, but they are very good - at least from my opinion.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies and experiences, I think it is definitely worth going to see! We will be arriving late on Dec 26th, so our first full day will be 27th, so hoping to go that evening. :D

Lisa - could you tell me how I go about contacting Mark Jones please? Is he a WDW Disability Officer or similar? Thanks :D

BUMPING! :D

I didn't realise you were away until I'd posted my previous post Lisa, so now you're back I'm just bumping this in the hope that you could enlighten me about contacting Mark Jones.

Contact Mark Jones at mark.jones@disney.com. He is the Deaf Services Coordinator.

I was away at St Augustine for a Tupperware Convention and a visit to the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind where my friend Doug works.

Thanks Lisa, for the contact email, I've just received a reply from Mark which I thought I would post here just in case it interests anyone.

There are no reflective captions for the Candlelight Processional. There is a loop system which is used with a hearing aid to enhance sound if you have enough hearing to utilise it. I was also told there would be scripts available at the entrance to the theatre.

As there is a script I have decided to go, as I will be able to hear the music so with the script I should be able to follow OK. Mind you, I've had problems in the past with no scripts being available - Kilimanjaro Safari in AK springs to mind, so I think I would check earlier at the entrance if they have one, so they have time to get one if neccesary!

Mazzy,
If Mark says there will be scripts available there will be. He is the man that knows all about it. If you are going a specific performance let Mark know and he will make sure they have one ready for you as they may be limited in supply. I have never been disappointed by him.

Thanks for that Lisa, I'll contact Mark nearer the time then, and request a script.

Thanks for your help :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter