Cane for osteoarthritis in knee

robinb

DIS veteran
Hi everyone. I am going to WDW in about 2 weeks and I'm posting here because you are the experts.

I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. I attempted to get a cortisone shot (for the first time) before my trip but received push back from my doctor's NP (https://www.disboards.com/threads/when-should-i-get-a-cortisone-shot-in-my-knee.3921464/). So, I'm back to my regular solution of an ECV and a cane. I would really like to use the cane more so we can drive more and not rely on the buses to transport my EVC. I have a regular folding cane but I find it really exhausting to use it. I feel like I'm using a ton of effort with the cane, way more than walking without a cane, and I have to stop and rest often. I do not have to rest when I walk without the cane, but my knee hurts more. I'm not sure if I'm using it wrong, or if I have it set at the wrong height (even though I've tried a couple of heights) or what the heck is happening. I use it in my left hand and move it forward with my right leg. I don't need it to help balance but more to relive pressure off my bum knee. Should I get a different kind of cane like a "hurrycane"? Or is the extra effort of using the cane just part of the whole cane experience? Thanks!

PS: I don't have the time to see a PT about this, nor do I want to spend the money to see a PT (high deductible health care plan). I am open to watching videos if I'm using it wrong.

Have you considered a Rollator?

A Rollator is like a walker, but it has a seat, and typically a basket or bag under the seat for storage. Rollators tend to be easier to “drive” than a standard/traditional walker in a situation like Disney World. Most of them fold to some degree. You will typically be able to drive your Rollator close to the ride vehicle, and hand it off to a CM; there are a few exceptions to this, but you could fold your cane, and put it under the seat in case you need it.

You may never need an ECV or a wheelchair - or a Rollator - in your everyday life at home, but at WDW you are walking (on average) between 5 & 10 miles per day! It’s OK to use a tool at WDW that you might never need at home; it’s a big place that seems deceptively small.

The whole goal of my trips to WDW are to arrive home in at least the same condition I left in, hopefully more rested and refreshed, but also hopefully without additional damage as well.

You can buy a Rollator for less than $100 for your own personal use, and it will fly free as medical equipment on any US Domestic flight. You can also rent one while in Orlando, or see if someone you know has one they are not using; check local churches, service organizations (like the Masons or Shriners) and maybe NextDoor or any other social media you participate in. You will most likely be able to find one you can borrow for free.

If you are determined to use a cane at WDW that’s fine - you may need to watch a few videos to make sure your cane is at the correct height (that can make a real difference!) as well as making sure you land the cane during the right time as you are walking. I would certainly recommend buying a “real” cane, one that is a single piece; folding canes *can* collapse, and a single-piece cane might give you more confidence.

I have a TKR and use a cane and it is tiring to use. I bought a hurricane and it was useless so save your money. I do use the cane on my "good" side. My son adjusted the height to my elbow height. That being said I do rent an ECV at the parks.

Have you considered a rolling walker (there are nicer ones than you are imagining)? They fold up and you have a seat as well. Medical supply companies in your area should have them and you can try one there until you find one that is comfortable. They come in fashionable colors LOL.

My son is a dpt which doesn't mean I know what he knows, but he coached me through TKR with surgeons he worked with. We all took a trip to WDW (with surgeon's insistence) a few weeks prior to surgery. I was in pain but I used a good knee brace (again, go to a local medical supply company) which helped stabilize my knee. I also used topical lidocane (comes in patches and creme) and otc pain relievers. Good stablizing shoes/sneakers fitted to you should help. HOKA has a sneaker that has helped me greatly. I have Brooks as well.

I'm sorry you weren't able to get an injection as that seems cruel to me. I've had them though and sometimes it works and sometimes not so it may not have worked anyway.

Take care, stay positive and have a good trip!

Have you considered a manual chair? If you can push yourself, you could at least use it some of the time, or park it and use your cane sometimes.

A manual chair would be a lifesaver in lines if you're trying not to put pressure on your knee.

I have both a rollator and a cane (hurricane) and I use whichever feels right at the time. Rollators allow me the freedom to "carry" things-like bringing a tray to a table, carrying things when I shop. Also, you can buy one with a seat, so whenever your knee's bothering you, you can sit and rest. I don't quite understand how someone would want to align their cane with their elbow (I know I read that somewhere). Yes, watch some YouTube videos-they'll probably say to let your arms hang and have the top of the cane line up with your wrist. And I'm so sorry you can't get a cortisone shot. I have a torn meniscus that due to other problems, they can't repair. So I live on physical therapy and cortisone shots. I only need a shot once a year.

Thank you for your suggestions :).

I can actually walk a mile or so at home, but as you all know WDW is a different animal. I also use my "knee weed" (CBD/THC blended cream) at home that I can't bring with me to Florida. I bring an Arnica cream instead, but it's not as good. I've tried other creams like Icy Hot and I hated them. I do have very supportive shoes with orthotic inserts and I bring a good supply of ibuprofen and an ice bag.

I'm actually OK with an ECV but was hoping for a day or two without it. We are BWV so I'm able to roll into Epcot and DHS without getting on a bus. I was hoping that a different cane would help me on an AK day without my ECV and without getting exhausted. I'll use the scooter at the MK since we tend to do a lot of zig-zagging there and I end up covering more ground.

I have not considered a rollator or manual chair. I don't want to slow down my family by using either one of those for the whole trip and it seems wasteful to rent one for a couple of days when I'm going to rent an ECV anyway.

Does anyone have a collapsible cane that they recommend? This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HK9DA6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the hurricane, which I really like. And mine is purple, so it looks like the one you have, just a slightly bigger base. It's for sale on amazon, cheaper than the Hurrycane website. It folds into 3 parts, so you can carry it in a purse (not a small one, though!)

I can actually walk a mile or so at home, but as you all know WDW is a different animal. I also use my "knee weed" (CBD/THC blended cream) at home that I can't bring with me to Florida. I bring an Arnica cream instead, but it's not as good. I've tried other creams like Icy Hot and I hated them. I do have very supportive shoes with orthotic inserts and I bring a good supply of ibuprofen and an ice bag.

I'm actually OK with an ECV but was hoping for a day or two without it. We are BWV so I'm able to roll into Epcot and DHS without getting on a bus. I was hoping that a different cane would help me on an AK day without my ECV and without getting exhausted. I'll use the scooter at the MK since we tend to do a lot of zig-zagging there and I end up covering more ground.

I have not considered a rollator or manual chair. I don't want to slow down my family by using either one of those for the whole trip and it seems wasteful to rent one for a couple of days when I'm going to rent an ECV anyway.

Does anyone have a collapsible cane that they recommend? This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HK9DA6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
LOL FYI, I can walk *way* faster with a properly sized and set up Rollator than I can with a cane, hands down, any day.

You won’t slow your family down; and if you do, that’s OK because you are part of the family too! Your worth to your family is not measured in how fast you can move at Disney World. I am willing to bet actual cash money that they would rather adjust their gait to match yours, knowing that you will be in less pain at the end of the day.

Do what feels most right to you, for you. When we need mobility assistance, it can feel like a loss - of freedom. Take a moment to acknowledge that, and remember that you will be far from alone at Disney World. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a lovely trip!

I just wanted to add another perspective. I'm a little more pooh sized, so I have to make sure to get the right size device that accommodate that.

Home - I don't use any type of assistive device. However, if I'm going to a local festival or such, then I take my cane. It is not a collapsible one and I have it set at a height where my wrist is. However, after an hour or so, my hand will start to cramp up. I found Hurricane to be too heavy for me.

Disney - I rent an ECV from Gold. It comes with an attachment of your choice included. I get a cane holder since I do use my cane at Disney, but that is primarily to help get into and out of rides.
1693640704949.png

Cruise - I used to rent a walker. However, the larger sized walker did not fold in such a way that it was easy to get it into my cabin. It folded like a sandwich board, so it wouldn't roll when folded. Using it made my shoulders and back hurt after a while as well. Now I have a stand-up (upright) rollator that I ordered on Amazon. It's a life saver! No more sore shoulders and back. It folds like an accordion and will still roll (making it easier to maneuver in tight spaces).
1693640402181.png

So as you see, it really depends on the situation as to what tool that I use.

One trip when my knee was really bad I used both a scooter and a cane. Was surprised at how easy it was to use the cane. And the CMs at the rides are used to dealing with them too. Some rides you can keep it with you and some you have to hand it off and they have it waiting for you at the end.

I think a rollator is miles above a cane. My knees are both very bad and being replaced next year. I can make it through - say - the airport with the rollator but couldn't with the cane. It lets me walk at a normal gait which feels SO much better/easier. Pushing a wheelchair is the same for me so I will push a wheelchair through rides at WDW that require me to transfer out of the rental ECV.

AK is a hard park with the hills so keep that in mind. If you're concerned about getting the ECV on the bus, the bus driver will help you - most are fairly aggressive wanting to help. You can also have a family member drive it. You can drive it up the ramp and the bus driver will park it for you. I personally wouldn't make it from the bus to the first attraction with a rollator in that park lol! I do use the rollator for the airport and sometimes for going to get coffee at the hotel or something like that if it's not too far. I bought a $50-60 one on amazon.

My mom is about 4 months post op from a TKR on her right knee. She went from walker to no assistive device because she couldn't get the cane to work right during her recovery. Her at home PT even told her to skip the cane because she was actually walking worse with it.

The ECV was the only saving grace for her before the operation. She would take NSAIDs like Aleve, ice during park breaks, and massage with biofreeze, but nothing could help with the bone on bone rubbing after a day on foot in a Disney park.

We always split stay Epcot resorts and MK resorts so she could easily access 3/4 parks. AK was the wildcard. We started taking the bus from the resort early in the morning so she could secure an ECV spot and used the accessible Minnie Van service when we wanted to leave. It could take a good 30 - 60 minutes for the accessible Minnie Van to show up, but it was so much better than waiting at the DAK bus stop hoping she would make the next bus if it could accommodate enough assistive devices based on the current line. Since you are able to walk a mile or so at home you could also consider leaving your rented ECV in the room and doing a single day ECV rental from Disney when you arrive at DAK. It's more expensive and subject to availability, but this was always something we discussed as a possibility if my mom wanted to avoid the ECV on the bus completely. She wasn't the most comfortable maneuvering on and off the bus and although the drivers were always wonderful and helped her, it was always a little stressful for her. She much preferred the walking paths and monorails. You also mentioned driving more. If you're driving your own car or a rental you could even consider a portable ECV that breaks down into smaller pieces for car transport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter