cannolli filling

zachsmomie

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have a great old Italian family recipe for cannolli filling? My husband's grandmother used to make them when he was little but no one in the family has the recipe. I found a great place for the shells but I need something to put in them!

Thanks, Sandy

I believe the filling is well drained ricotta,
sweetened with sugar, and maybe a bit of cinnamon

you could also add any of these:

chopped chocolate
nuts
chopped candied fruit
cocoa
any flavor extract you like

Also, if you live in an area where you can get homemade ricotta I'd use that

you can dust them with either powdered sugar or cocoa if you like

hope this helps:sunny:

Actually, use Mascarpone Cheese, sweeten it, add a little brandy or other libation to your satisfaction. Small bittersweet chocolate chips, chopped pistachio nuts, lemon zest and/or candied orange peels all work as additions.

This one is from Mary Esposito's Ciao Italia website and in her book of the same name.

CANNOLI
pgs. 228-229 Ciao Italia

MAKES 14 TO 18

The queen of all southern Italian desserts is cannoli. These crisp, flaky cylinders are filled with sweetened ricotta cheese, nuts, citron, and bits of chocolate. Sicily lays claim to cannoli, which probably originally came from the Arabs, who influenced so much of Sicily's cooking.

I use an old recipe my mother gave me that was given to her by her mother, and her mother before that. Originally, sheep's milk ricotta was used. I still use my grandmother's old wooden forms, fashioned from a broom handle, to make the cylinders, but you can buy stainless steel ones in kitchenware stores.

FILLING

1½ cups whole-milk ricotta cheese, well drained
3 tablespoons sugar
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
1½ cups coarsely chopped milk chocolate (4 to 5 small bars)
¼ cup pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped

In a bowl, combine all the filling ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to fill the cannoli shells.

To serve, use a long iced tea spoon or a pastry bag without a tip to fill the cannoli with the ricotta cheese mixture. Dip the ends into colored sprinkles, arrange them on a tray, and sprinkle confectioners' sugar over the tops. Serve at once.

Note: Be sure to fill the cannoli just before serving - any sooner will make the shells soggy

This one is from an old italian cookbook I have:

1 lb ricotta cheese - well drained
2 TBL rum
2 TBL sugar
2 TBL semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 TBL finely chopped candied fruit peel

Cream ricotta and rum until smooth, add sugar, chocolate and candied fruit and blend well.

Chill until ready to use. Fill cannoli and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

If you want to make chocolate filling just add some cocoa powder to the filling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter