Cannot stand on bus

SlightlyGoofy

<font color=green>I shall be forced to take you on
I am so very lucky in that I am able to walk although a bit slowly at times (have been "crippled" twice in my life" but I cannot stand on the bus and the new ones have so few seats. I have seen the bus drivers loudly insist that no more buses will come until the present bus is filled, seated and standing. We usually hang back and wait a bit if leaving at park closing time so that we might get on a bus with available seats.

Any other ideas on how to deal with this problem? If forced to get on a bus people often give up their seat for me as it is obvious that I am having trouble and I do not like to put people out like that.

BTW, while I got a GAC on our last trip I did not need to use it. I have pulmonary disease and have a handicapped card but only use it on 'bad days' and do my best to use a space further from the front when I have to so that others more needy can have the better spots. I like the fact that the GAC helps when I need it but does not give me a front of the line pass. I would feel badly about that but understand that others in worse circumstances need it. Maybe a doctor's slip would make it harder for cheats so that the deserving would be given the help they truly need? Just a thought. I am sure that some of you know far better than I.

SG/Linda

My situation is similar to yours--I can walk, albeit slowly & with a cane. I usually don't use a wheelchair. However, I've given up on the buses. I can't get up and down the steps unless my dh helps me, and we're oftentimes pushed by impatient people. I can't stand, either. I just don't bother with them anymore. I find the monorail to be suitable for my circumstances. However, we just rent a car and drive to areas not served by the monorail, or use a taxi. Yes, its more expensive, but less hassle. There's less stress when you don't have to worry about being pushed, shoved, can't sit down, etc. The cost of a rent car/taxi is now just part of our budget. Good luck!

vhoffman, good advice. I am, by nature, a bit careful with money but it does seem to make sense to take a taxi on the couple of nights that we stay until closing. I can drive to AK and other parks, except MK, when we are leaving before dark. I am night blind as well so, out of courtesy to my fellow drivers, I stay off unfamiliar roads after dark.

I would willingly eat at a counter serve place in order to have the money for a taxi on the nights that I do not want to wait. Now, if I can figure out where the taxis are. LOL

SG/Linda

No reason for you to give up on the buses; they continue to be the cheapest and most efficient way to get around on-site. Plus it's generally as fast or faster than driving and taking the tram, and you don't have to worry about navigating unfamiliar roads. As for not being able to stand on the buses, there are certain seats at the front of the buses reserve for those with mobility issues, and your GAC should give you the ticket to take them, with the bus driver's assistance. Let the driver know of your needs and he/she will get you a seat, whether the designated seats or some other seat. Just speak up and let them know what you need. Most ppl in the World are not nearly as inconsiderate as many of us expect them to be.

Of course with a wheelchair or scooter/ECV, you would have preferred access to the buses, as they stop and let you on before loading ppl in the front.

Bell Services outside at the front of the resort will call you a cab if you need it and generally cabs respond in fewer than 10 minutes.

Although I don't have experience with it personally, I would guess that Guest Services at the parks do the same thing.

Whether to use the bus system or a rent car or taxi is a personal decision, based on one's comfort level. Night blindness certainly throus another curve. Perhaps a rent car wouldn't be such a good idea in your case because you'd have to leave before dark. A taxi might be a better solution. However, if you do decide to use a rental car, do be aware of the parking accomodations for handicapped parking at Disney. We found this out the hard way. We parked in the handicapped space at MK, then waited for the tram circling the lot to pick us up. Well, three trams went by without even going in to the handicapped lot. We asked a parking cm, who said that the trams don't go into the handicapped area, because they don't fit (the trams are long and can't make the curve at the entrance). Also, the trams aren't equipped to handle wheelchairs. Well, what if you're not a wheelchair user? The cm just told me that wheelchairs were available in the lot (there were several there) and we could use one to get into the park. That night I was by myself with two 6-year old children, who certainly couldn't push a wheelchair. I'm not capable of pushing myself in a wheelchair, either. Also, at MK, there's a steep up and down slope along the path to the entrance, which would make it very difficult to push a wheelchair, unless you had a strong helper or an ECV. I explained all this to the cm, and asked if there was some other way I could get into the park, such as someone with a golf cart could take me in. He was quite rude, and said, "How do you expect to get around MK if you can't even make it from the parking lot in?", then left. I attempted to walk in, thinking I could make it. Well, I did, but I was so exhausted I spent the next day in the hotel while the rest of my family went to the parks. I since found out what one should do in such a sutuation--tell the parking lot cm that you're not a wheelchair user but have a handicapped permit. They will then direct you to parking spaces in the regular lot which are close to the tram stops and you can board the tram from there. I don't know how these spaces are designated because I've never used them. I don't know why the cm I spoke with that night didn't tell me that nice little fun fact. It would have made my trip more enjoyable, and isn't that the cm's job--to assist the guests? Well, if you do opt for a rent car, just be aware that there isn't transportation from the handicapped parking lots to the entrance. You're on your own. Best to park in the regular lot in a space near the tram stops. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Oh, BTS, last trip we got a rental car for $95 for 6 days. It was through Dollar, an intermediate size. Rental cars don't have to cost a fortune. Also, if you have a handicapped permit, you get free valet parking at the resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter