Canon 550D (Rebel T2i, Kiss X4)

Wow! Thanks guys! I spent the bulk of last evening researching cameras and I really must tell you, I am MORE confused NOW than I was yesterday.

I see all of the photos on these threads (on the photography board mostly) and I REALLY want to take photos like that!

So, I guess what I really need to know is, just to get started, what do I need? Like I said, I am on the middle end of novice! Although, recently all I have used is a point and shoot. I don't want to, nor can I spend a lot of money (in the beginning), I was thinking in the $600 range. But after researching last night, it appears that a lot of these cameras come with just the body and no lenses, which means more investing!!

Any suggestions you all could offer in the $600 range would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to get ripped off if I buy used and like I said, I am more lost now (after research) than ever!

If it helps I won't be shooting wildlife or anything like that!!! Mostly just kids, pets, the beach (sunsets and rises), things like that.

Any of the entry level DSLR cameras will work fine - Canon T1i (500D), Nikon D5000, Pentax K-x, etc., some of the pics you see here require additional lens, lighting equipment, etc, so it's a never ending money pit! Don't be in a hurry, go to a store and handle the different brands and see what features appeals to you. Black Friday will have camera deals and there will be other deals so don't be in a hurry - those pics will wait.

Check out all the brands you can - they're all very good, and a good photographer can take excellent photos with any of the major brands of camera. If you want to take excellent photos like you see here on the boards and from other great photographers...it won't be the camera that gets you there - it will be your own skill, learning, dedication, interest, eye, and practice. Whether you're doing do with a Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, or Olympus really won't matter at all. Good cameras are tools waiting for someone to control them - without the photographer, they don't do much of anything at all except hold down papers in a stiff breeze. Picked up by a poor photographer, a great camera will produce poor photos. Picked up by a good photographer, ANY camera can produce good photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter