Can't get Chef Mickey's for our first night

Familyof6

Mouseketeer
I'm so disappointed. I know it's my own fault because I didn't call soon enough, but I'm still disappointed. :( We are staying at the Contemporary and I thought it would be so perfect to eat there on our first night.
Now what do we do? We've been to Ohana's and we were not thrilled with that. The CM at WDWDINE suggested Concourse Steakhouse. Does anyone know anything about that? Good, bad, or Ugly?;)
I also tried to get into 1900 PF for later in the week (larger party) and they couldn't get us in until 8pm! I took it, but I'm hoping to be able to grab an earlier time before then.
I guess I should turn to you experts for suggestions about what to do on our first night since we can't get CM? I've suggested Whispering Canyon to Dh and he's open to that. What are your opinions?

TIA!

Lisa :D

No promises, but everytime we've been told over the phone "no availability" at Chef Mickey's we've been seated within 15-20 minutes just by showing up at the podium. (We are a large party, like you.) Why don't you have a back up at let's say 6:15 at another monorail restaurant but at 5:15-5:30 show up at chef Mickey's and see what they say? I'd almost be willing to bet you'll get something!

Just curious as to when you are looking for a ps. We have been looking over our schedule for May 3-10 and thinking of canceling a dinner at 1900 PF just b/c our schedule is getting quite busy. We enjoyed Concourse, thought the food was pretty good from what I remember (it was 2 years ago).

I agree with Belle5, just showing up at Chef Mickey's might pan out. I would however have a backup plan at restaurant close by.
Why don't you make PS at the Concourse Steakhouse its right next door to Chef Mickey's. See if you can get into Chef Mickeys by showing up, if not you have PS next door.

The Concourse is excellent, here is the menu.

http://wdwig.com/menu/menu_cs.htm

If you want something on the monorail loop, how about Kona Cafe? That is our favorite restaurant and it never seems to be crowded.

I feel your pain. We were at WDW in January (slow time) and thought we could get into Chef Mickey's for dinner, but could not for the 6 nights we were there. I now try to spread the word that you need to make a PS early. I agree, you could try to show up, but what a waste of time if you don't get in, unless you want to settle for the concorse. Maybe HDD or the backyard BBQ, might be something to do. But, of course, you could keep trying to get into CM, because people do cancel all of the time.

Belle5, First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting! A new Prince or Princess to take to WDW!!! :)
I had considered just going to the podium as soon as we arrived to see what they could work out, but I wouldn't hold my breath. ;) I do have a PS at Concourse around 6pm...I can't remember now, off the top of my head. Thanks for the encouragement. About how many times has this worked for you?
Catheren, thanks for making me feel better about the Concourse. I had looked at the menu, and I think everyone should be able to find something to their liking there. I was just curious about quality since I don't recall seeing it on these boards much. (when I was researching our trip for last yr)
n2mm, Sorry you couldn't get into CM either. I think I'll keep calling and hope for the best but keep our PS at the Concourse just in case.
Any opinions on Whispering Canyon? Actually, I'm not sure we could even get a PS there for that night. I didn't even ask.
Thanks all, for your help! You people are great! I knew I could count on sage advice here! :smooth:

Lisa :D

Lisa,
Thanks for the good wishes! So far we have had only "princes" to take to WDW with us.
Anyway, we have gone "stand by" several times at WDW restaurants--and not just at Chef Mickey's. I know it's scary with a large family to seat. That's why showing up at the earliest seating time may work to your advantage. (As opposed to showing up at 6:30 or whatever is deemed to be "prime time" for seating.)Good luck to you.

Belle5

Familyof6, we went to Whispering Canyon on our first night for dinner with our party of 7.
The dinner was pretty good...nothing spectacular...but the Wilderness Lodge is absolutely amazing. (We had stayed there on the visit prior.)
Just seeing that lobby in the lodge blows you away...and is a wonderful experience on your first night to get you in that Disney spirit! (Whispering Canyon is right in the lobby)
I got the pork chops which were good. Others got the unlimited buckets of barbecue food. The only downside is that it's noisy. It's a great place for little ones....but for teens, may be a little boring.
Hope that helps!

we went there our 1st night and had a blast. we were staying at ft wilderness, but took the boat over. we all liked the food, and had alot of fun. even my teenaged kids had fun! the reason we picked it was so that we could eat someplace fun w/o using a day off our park hoppers. CM's was full, so we went to WCC! the WL is beautiful, and even with a ps we had about a 20 min. wait. they give you a beeper, so we spent the time exploring. I was glad we had the wait!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts