Can't sit down...

jillofspeed

Earning My Ears
My husband has an unusual disability, in that he cannot always sit down, due to a spinal problem. He can walk limited distances, but sitting can often be painful or impossible. So a typical scooter is not useful for us. But I've seen "SECV – Standing Scooters" for rent. Has anyone used these at Disney World? I was wondering what that would be like. I would imagine we'd get some stares, but as long as they are allowed, it seems like a good solution for us. Also, we'd like to know what restaurants, if any, offer "high top" tables or bar-like seating, as that can make-or-break a dinner for us. We honeymooned at Disney 20 years ago, and we really want to go back for our anniversary!

I just called "Scooterbug" and they told me their stand-up ECVs are allowed in the parks. I imagine they are not very popular however because you sure don't want one like that if you don't need it!

I think as long as they can stand unaided ( have 3 or 4 wheels) then they are allowed in the parks the PP said scooterbug has some and said they were allowed in the park

I have never seen one in the parks, however I do believe the 4-wheel standing ECVs are allowed in the parks. Whether it is allowed at shows may depend on where the mobility device seating is located and whether anyone might be behind with view blocked. I’m sure it will no be allowed on rides, so he will need to transfer and sit in ride vehicles.

If you/he does end up using one, please let us know how it goes.

Enjoy your vacation!

It’s questionable whether or not he will be able to ride any rides at all. On a good day he could probably do Soarin and Pirates, rides like that, that aren’t rough, because he can sit a little while. But even on those rides he’d need to bring a seat cushion, which I assume would be allowed on most rides.

ESVs, Electric Standing Vehicles, are, or should I say as of four years ago, were allowed. When introduced six years ago bus drivers were trained as how to load them onto the Disney buses. I have seen a few in the parks and Disney did make them available, but you have to reserve them well in advance as they're available upon request only. The linked article shows and explains what they're all about.
http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/con...lity-walt-disney-world-disneyland-resort.html

ESVs, Electric Standing Vehicles, are, or should I say as of four years ago, were allowed. When introduced six years ago bus drivers were trained as tohow to load them onto the Disney buses. I have seen a few in the parks and Disney did make them available, but you have to reserve them well in advance as they're available upon request only. The linked article shows and explains what they're all about.
http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/con...lity-walt-disney-world-disneyland-resort.html

electric_standing_vehicle.jpg

I never knew this. Thanks, FastPasser.

@jillofspeed I know that a "standing ECV" seems like a good idea - just please approach it with caution.

Personally, *anything* that touches my back in the wrong place will literally result in me spending the rest of the day in the fetal position on the nearest horizontal surface. If there is a back rest, make sure that it won't strike him in a spot that could cause him further pain and problems.

Additionally, the kind of "standers" that Disney allows can be harder to use, first because of the prevalence of textured concretes and pavements, but also because as he goes up and down hills and ramps, his ankles, knees and hips (and all of the associated muscles and tendons) have to do a lot of flexing and holding as he shifts his center of gravity... Going downhill especially can be very unnerving because he will have to lean back to shift his center of gravity. Otherwise, it feels like he will face-plant, because the deck of the "stander" doesn't level out like a Segway. You never really realize how many hills and ramps there are at WDW until you have to use a mobility device! :)

There's also the need to drive even more carefully than when seated; if he has to stop quickly because a little kiddo hasn't yet learned the laws of physics, and darted right in front of the device - he will have a greater tendency to fold right over the handlebars in a panic stop. So many people just don't pay attention at WDW - we hear stories here all the time about bipedal Guests who are busy looking at their phones, and they walk right into someone in a mobility device.

For parades and fireworks, he will have to move to the back of the crowd, or park it and walk/stand.

Rather than an ECV of any kind, what about a Rollator? It will give him a seat for when he needs it, can be adjusted to his height, so that he has something to hold on to while he walks, and most models are equipped with brakes for going down hills. Also, most of them have a handy basket under the seat to hold his cushion! :)

A "standard" wheelchair can also function much like a Rollator - and he can use the seat to hold the cushion, so no one has to carry it.

Regardless of what he decides to rent, remember that he can always "park and walk" - ask any Cast Member where to park the device while you explore an area. When you all are ready to move on to another part of the Park, he moves the device to a new parking spot and lather, rinse and repeat! :) Lots of folks do this, and Cast Members can always tell him where the closest good parking area for the device is. :)

As far as bar-type bistro/high top seating, I would maybe ask in the Restaurant forum? I seem to recall a lot of places at Disney Springs having bar seating, but I'm always looking at an accessible pathway, more so than that type of seating because I can't do those higher type of chairs anymore; I have to be able to transfer.

@jillofspeed I know that a "standing ECV" seems like a good idea - just please approach it with caution.

Personally, *anything* that touches my back in the wrong place will literally result in me spending the rest of the day in the fetal position on the nearest horizontal surface. If there is a back rest, make sure that it won't strike him in a spot that could cause him further pain and problems.

Additionally, the kind of "standers" that Disney allows can be harder to use, first because of the prevalence of textured concretes and pavements, but also because as he goes up and down hills and ramps, his ankles, knees and hips (and all of the associated muscles and tendons) have to do a lot of flexing and holding as he shifts his center of gravity... Going downhill especially can be very unnerving because he will have to lean back to shift his center of gravity. Otherwise, it feels like he will face-plant, because the deck of the "stander" doesn't level out like a Segway. You never really realize how many hills and ramps there are at WDW until you have to use a mobility device! :)

There's also the need to drive even more carefully than when seated; if he has to stop quickly because a little kiddo hasn't yet learned the laws of physics, and darted right in front of the device - he will have a greater tendency to fold right over the handlebars in a panic stop. So many people just don't pay attention at WDW - we hear stories here all the time about bipedal Guests who are busy looking at their phones, and they walk right into someone in a mobility device.

For parades and fireworks, he will have to move to the back of the crowd, or park it and walk/stand.

Rather than an ECV of any kind, what about a Rollator? It will give him a seat for when he needs it, can be adjusted to his height, so that he has something to hold on to while he walks, and most models are equipped with brakes for going down hills. Also, most of them have a handy basket under the seat to hold his cushion! :)

A "standard" wheelchair can also function much like a Rollator - and he can use the seat to hold the cushion, so no one has to carry it.

Regardless of what he decides to rent, remember that he can always "park and walk" - ask any Cast Member where to park the device while you explore an area. When you all are ready to move on to another part of the Park, he moves the device to a new parking spot and lather, rinse and repeat! :) Lots of folks do this, and Cast Members can always tell him where the closest good parking area for the device is. :)

As far as bar-type bistro/high top seating, I would maybe ask in the Restaurant forum? I seem to recall a lot of places at Disney Springs having bar seating, but I'm always looking at an accessible pathway, more so than that type of seating because I can't do those higher type of chairs anymore; I have to be able to transfer.

Good points! I am going to talk to him about a rollator, because having something to lean on & push (such as a shopping cart in the grocery store) can be helpful. Plus, a place to take a momentary rest would be welcome too. A wheel chair is no good because he can't tolerate sitting upright more than a few minutes. Other than his spinal problem, he is in relatively good health, not overweight or having other joint issues, and he has very good balance. Still extended walking would be tiring for him. But i know what you mean about the terrain at Disney, and the people! I've run into people (or they've run into me!) just walking. So I don't know. Maybe we should just plan a beach vacation :( Worried this is just too ambitious.

Can he kneel for long periods of time?

I am not sure whether they make kneeling ECVs but this would lower the center of gravity and make it easier to maintain balance while keeping the upper body and thighs in a vertical line..

Also fit in ride vehicles that pass through some low ceilinged tunnels such as It's A Small World.

Good points! I am going to talk to him about a rollator, because having something to lean on & push (such as a shopping cart in the grocery store) can be helpful. Plus, a place to take a momentary rest would be welcome too. A wheel chair is no good because he can't tolerate sitting upright more than a few minutes. Other than his spinal problem, he is in relatively good health, not overweight or having other joint issues, and he has very good balance. Still extended walking would be tiring for him. But i know what you mean about the terrain at Disney, and the people! I've run into people (or they've run into me!) just walking. So I don't know. Maybe we should just plan a beach vacation :( Worried this is just too ambitious.
mamabunny most likely meaning to use a wheelchair like a rollator pushing it but using for a rest as needed, not sitting in all the time. think like a shopping cart

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!