Car insurance questions - Moving to New York State

Theta

DIS Veteran
We have 4 vehicles. 2 will move to NYS while 2 will remain in North Carolina with my college student children, they are 19 and 21.

I am really getting the runaround about where the vehicles need to be plated and consequently insured.

Does anyone have experience with kids in different states going to college? We would like to keep the kids vehicles plated in North Carolina.

Agents are quoting around $400 per vehicle for 6 months!! Can this be right? One is a 2001 Camry along with 6 and 8 year old honda CRV and Toyotas. Deductible is $1000.

We have had no accidents and no claims, ever!

I am looking for suggestions on what to look for in the policy and suggestions for insurance companies to get additional quotes.

I have a college senior that goes to a different state from where we live, and his car is registered and insured in the state where we live. Even though he is at college, his legal address is here at home, and since his car is still titled in our name and insured on our insurance, it has to be done by our home state. He is listed as a driver who has his car more than 100 miles away from home. We are so looking forward to May when he graduates, and we can transfer the title to him and let him get his own insurance! So excited for a big rate drop!

Maybe the quotes you are getting are assuming that your kids will have the cars titled in their name and carry their own insurance? We did look into that for our son, but it would have been around $3000 a year for him to carry his own policy.

Last edited:
Be prepared for very expensive insurance rates if you are moving to the NY metro area or long island

My 99 Corolla which I gave up last year was about 450 per 6 months. That was with a clean record for more than 5 years.

Don't bother asking others about your rate being good or not. It's completely, totally 100% dependent on your personal situation, so the rate someone else pays is irrelevant to you.

The cars plates really aren't a big deal either. If you want to plate them in NC, great, go for it. It's the insurance you want to be clear on. Make sure your carrier is crystal clear on what is happening and you'll be fine. Be sure to include if the kids are coming home during breaks, summer, etc...or are staying in NY full time.

One piece of advice, drop the COMP/COLL on the old Camry. Probably not worth the money.

We have 4 vehicles. 2 will move to NYS while 2 will remain in North Carolina with my college student children, they are 19 and 21.

I am really getting the runaround about where the vehicles need to be plated and consequently insured.

Does anyone have experience with kids in different states going to college? We would like to keep the kids vehicles plated in North Carolina.

Agents are quoting around $400 per vehicle for 6 months!! Can this be right? One is a 2001 Camry along with 6 and 8 year old honda CRV and Toyotas. Deductible is $1000.

I am looking for suggestions on what to look for in the policy and suggestions for insurance companies to get additional quotes.

Is that just basic liability? Honestly for 2 cars and young drivers, $800 for 6 months doesn't sound bad at all (I'm in NY).
I think you will be OK keeping the registration and insurance in NC since that is still their legal residence.

Here in NJ, 5 drivers (3 young), 4 old vehicles, we pay over $4000 a year, dropped collision on most.

$400 per 6 months of car insurance for a 19 or 21 year old sounds like a dream. Our oldest’s insurance started out at $1200 per 6 months. It is now “down” to $800 per month and he is almost 22.

Younger son’s insurance started at $900 per 6 months.

Insurance for young adult males is a budget killer!

We lived in NY for 15 years and now live in NC. Our insurance rate really did not change (until we added a teen driver).

One thing to consider about keeping the cars registered in NC is that NC charges tax on those vehicles annually. NY does not, so it may be a savings to swap them.

I have a college senior that goes to a different state from where we live, and his car is registered and insured in the state where we live. Even though he is at college, his legal address is here at home, and since his car is still titled in our name and insured on our insurance, it has to be done by our home state. He is listed as a driver who has his car more than 100 miles away from home.

This above. ^^^ Especially if they are going have the car in the NY metro area. The rates go up dramatically for that area. For the rest of the state, the rates are more reasonable. However, you are paying rates on drivers under 25. The rates will be high no matter which state you get insurance from. NY state does not have the weird law that CA has, in which once someone is living in the state for 30 days, one HAS to become a resident of CA and register their car there. In NY, the kids can have their legal address at your home and be students here - unless of course, they are going to a CUNY or SUNY college for free as a NYS resident.

If the kids are going to be in the NY metro area, you may want to rethink having to have a car at all. Mass transit (buses, trains & subway) are so plentiful & easy to get around on. Also, there are a lot of stolen items & vandalism done to cars here. The kids forget one item inside the car and have a windshield or side window broken once and your insurance rates will skyrocket. You report a theft of an expensive item to insurance and your rates will skyrocket. Or they will cancel your insurance. They see a driver under 25 + leaving expensive items in a car and they know it will happen a second time. :headache:

Then there's accidentally oversleeping and forgetting to move the car in the morning. The parking ticket will be about $165 (last time I checked) + $100+ for having the car towed away.

Thank you for all the replies.

We lost the discount we had when they were also insuring our home in NC.

THanks for the heads up on the metro area.

Where in NY will they be located? If in the city, I would reconsider bringing a car there. Most colleges in the city have extremely limited parking for on campus students. Private garages in Manhattan are crazy expensive too.

I have had no tickets or accidents, nor has my 18 year old daughter- I have a 2016 Toyota Camry and a 2007 Honda Civic- I have collision on the Toyota and just basic ins on the Civic and am paying 3000 a year. I was paying 800 a year until my daughter got her license and a car and now I am killed- worse thing is she is only home for 2 months a year- the car sits in front of my house the other 10 months. She goes to school in Boston but because there are two cars my ins company automatically assigns her as primary drive of one of them. So I would be happy as heck to only pay 400 each car for 6 month policy! Can't imagine you will find anything cheaper than that in NY!

Where in NY will they be located? If in the city, I would reconsider bringing a car there. Most colleges in the city have extremely limited parking for on campus students. Private garages in Manhattan are crazy expensive too.
I think OP is moving to NYS and their children are staying behind in college in North Carolina.
@Theta As others have said, $400 per car for 6 months sounds like a huge bargain, especially since the drivers are single and under age 25

I have had no tickets or accidents, nor has my 18 year old daughter- I have a 2016 Toyota Camry and a 2007 Honda Civic- I have collision on the Toyota and just basic ins on the Civic and am paying 3000 a year. I was paying 800 a year until my daughter got her license and a car and now I am killed- worse thing is she is only home for 2 months a year- the car sits in front of my house the other 10 months. She goes to school in Boston but because there are two cars my ins company automatically assigns her as primary drive of one of them. So I would be happy as heck to only pay 400 each car for 6 month policy! Can't imagine you will find anything cheaper than that in NY!
Can’t you take her off since she is more than 100 mikes away? We have 4 vehicles, 5 drivers, none of the cars are in our kids’ names. Unfortunately ds is within 100 miles of our home.

"if you move to New York and become a resident, you must register your vehicle here within 30 days of becoming a resident (moving)"

from https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-out-state-vehicle

Based on this, if you own the vehicles you'll need to register them in NY. (and get new driver's licenses for everyone).

If the 2 cars aren't going to be in NY and using NY roads the OP may not have to register them here.
I would suggest she call NYS DMV for clarification.

• if you are a resident of New York and you get a vehicle from another state which you will be driving on New York State roadways, you must register the vehicle here within 30 days

Can’t you take her off since she is more than 100 mikes away? We have 4 vehicles, 5 drivers, none of the cars are in our kids’ names. Unfortunately ds is within 100 miles of our home.

Nope- if you have more cars than people each is assigned a car in my ins co.- so 2 people 2 cars is one each. I even checked other ins companies and none are cheaper.

Rates aside...my family moved to FL right before I started college (a million years ago). I was in upstate NY for college during this time. I was covered on my parents' policy, so my policy and everything with license and registration was FL as that was my legally recognized state of residence.

"if you move to New York and become a resident, you must register your vehicle here within 30 days of becoming a resident (moving)"

from https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-out-state-vehicle

Based on this, if you own the vehicles you'll need to register them in NY. (and get new driver's licenses for everyone).

The operative word is "resident." I don't know about now, but previously, people just coming to NYS as college students weren't necessarily considered residents. Especially if their real home address is in another state (their parent's address.) There was a different category for them, like "temporary residents" or something like that.

IF these two kids will be considered residents of NYS, and they live here for a period of time and are of an a certain income range, then they may qualify for the FREE College tuition program for CUNY & SUNY colleges. It's the first program like this in the country. :worship: :worship: :worship: I love our governor! :thumbsup2

https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-free-degree-program-excelsior-scholarship

Also, if one of the kids gets into New York University as a Med student, NYU is giving free tuition for all med students, funded by NYU medical alumni. :thumbsup2 To be clear, NYU is not to be confused as one of the city or state colleges. It is a top tier 1 private college, up there with Princeton, Yale, Harvard, etc. And the Med program at NYU is one of the top in the country. (A proud plug for my alma mater - although I wasn't in the med school.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/nyregion/nyu-free-tuition-medical-school.html
If either of those cases above are the situation, then pay for the car insurance. You will be already getting quite a savings. :thumbsup2 :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter