Car service for person w/mobility issues?

disneyandme

DIS Veteran
Last time my DM met me at Disney, she traveled alone and I sent a car service for her. I told them about her mobility issues and that she could not walk long distances and certainly not quickly. The person who picked her up and another who dropped her off were rude and unaccomodating, even after she asked them to slow down and how much farther to the car. Needless to say, i eill never use that company again. So, I am looking for someone new to send to pick her (and my Dad) up who is more sensitive to the needs of others. i'm not looking for extra help for them, just common sense- like not walking full speed and being aware of how far they are having to walk.

With your Dad there too you could have your mom use a wheelchair (not sure where you ask to borrow one) at the airport and he can push her to where the cars have to park. I can't think of how it would be possible to shorten the distance - cars can only park in certain areas, and a car service can't just pull up to the curb and get out to find her - you can't leave a car unattended.

How does your mom get around the airport and at Disney? Would renting a wheelchair at home and having it with her for the whole trip be easier?

She usually uses an airline wheelchair to get transported from the desk to the airplane and back. I am more looking for someone with good customer service who won't rush them or be rude about her slowness.

you may have to accept that what you are needing may not be easily gotten.. these services have time tables they must keep and if your driver is going to be delayed 10 or even 15 minutes from meeting the next client,it snowballs from there. that client could miss a flight, or be unable to then take their 30 minute grocery stop because the driver was late and needs to get to Client number 3.

and I say this as some one who is very slow herself on bad days and does often hold things up. If she has mobility issues that badly she may need to have a wheelchair at all times and not just in the terminal.

You can't really tell me that a delay of 10-15 minutes is going to throw their schedule off so badly that others will miss flights. What about traffic, picking up someone/family that needs to take a bathroom break before getting in the car, delay in luggage arriving at the baggage claim, etc. I'm just looking for recommendations of car services that are not rude and willing to be patient.

yes I do think that ten minutes can really throw off a schedule especially when traffic patterns begin to impact it as well. My spouse can leave the hosue at 0530 to go work out before reporting to work and can get there in 20 minutes, but if he is even 10 minutes late getting out the door that 20 minute commute doubles.

again., NOBODY can guarantee that.. each driver is an individual and may be have been perfectly accommodating at any other time but the time they picked up your Mum.

do you honestly think that if you call any service and say" I want a nice driver who won't be rude to my mother and will walk slow for her" you are going to find ANYONE who will say anything OTHER than: "oh no worries all our drivers are courteous and professional".. but that day they have already been stuck in traffic twice, are already 15 minutes behind and oh yeah, spilled their coffee in the car on the way over.

the only way to guarantee that is to pick them up yourself. if you cannot, then you takes your chances. I can tell you that we use Tiffany Towncar exclusively and have never had anything but courteous and professional service with them.. and then you could come back and say that was the company you used and the driver was rude.

Have you asked about the car service meeting her with a wheelchair? She could then transfer from the airport chair to the car service chair and be wheeled to the car. If this is a no, then try offering to pay for some extra time. they make their money by getting in as many trips as possible in a certain amount of time, so maybe you could ask about paying for an extra 15-20 minutes of the drivers time.

I'm really just looking for people who have had good experiences with car services- not so much what she can and cannot do. She knows her limitation already. If you have positive experiences with a car service, please let me know.

We used Tiffany Towncar once, and they were fine. Is that the info you are looking for?

Yes, thank you. Unfortunately, we used Tiffany and they were extremely rude at the airport, when we called the office, and the person who picked her up. So, I'm looking for someone else.

We used Tiffany for years but the service went downhill. We then used Fl Tours and Happy Limo with good results. We use ME since it started. Make sure the tip is not pre-charged so you can have some leverage.

We have used Tiffany's, Fl Tours and Happy Limo over the years. Sometimes we had great drivers :lovestruc and other times we had a driver from "H___" :scared1::scared1::scared1: from all 3 companies.

You never know what your getting from any company at any given time.
Simply the luck of the draw. :confused3:confused3
If you have issues the only thing to do is let them know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter