Car trunk size for ECV & wheelchair

chaoscent

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
We are renting a car when we come to WDW. It will be my mom (who uses a wheelchair), myself (who will be renting an ECV), my Sister & DH (driver). We are renting an ecv that will come apart. Does anyone know what size car/suv or van we need to have to fit the ECV (taken apart) and wheelchair (it folds). Thanks, Penny :goodvibes

We are renting a car when we come to WDW. It will be my mom (who uses a wheelchair), myself (who will be renting an ECV), my Sister & DH (driver). We are renting an ecv that will come apart. Does anyone know what size car/suv or van we need to have to fit the ECV (taken apart) and wheelchair (it folds). Thanks, Penny :goodvibes

Four adults and one w/c and one ECV-you'll probably be most comfortable in a mini van.

A mini-van might work.

But, with many mini-vans the storage locations can be awkward for a broken-down ECV. (If the pieces are larger than the available space at the back you could end up lifting over seats or blocking people in.)

We had a rented mid-size sedan (sorry, I can't remember the model) that was the easiest car we've ever tried to load and unload the wc from. Plus, with a sedan, everyone ends up with their own door to enter and exit at will.

Do you know the dimensions of the broken down ECV? I'd check on that and then talk to the rental agency about trunk sizes, if I were trying to figure it out.

I just don't see how you could put an ECV AND a wheelchair in the trunk unless maybe in a very large car. I use an ECV and have a pretty good idea how mych room is needed for one, plus the ones you rent are quite a bit larger than mine is.

We rented a Dodge Caravan one year and there was tons of room, even with four people seated. The ECV would fit in the back without being broken down (my DH is strong and can lift it even tho it weighs a lot). Seems to me there were doors on both sides of the Caravan, also.

I wouldn't count on the rental company being much help-they seem to want to rent you the biggest car on the lot no matter what. We rented a mid-size auto on our last trip. The girl at the desk insisted we needed a minivan or SUv due to the ECV and our luggage. We explained the rental car was larger than the one we drove to the airport and she actually seemed to be getting mad that we wouldn't upgrade. Finally DH told her if she'd give him the upgrade at no extra charge he'd be glad to take it. That's when she gave up. BTW, our stuff fit just fine in the car we asked for.

Thanks, Maybe I will call the ECV Rental place and see how small it breaks down. I will also see what it weighs without breaking down. If my DH can lift it, that might be the quickest way to go? thanks, Penny

I would agree with you maybe needing a minivan.
It's not always easy to fit a wheelchair in a trunk alone, much less with an ECV.
Are you traveling with all that from the airport or with any luggage?

The other suggestion I would have is to check for dimentions from the place you are renting, then check on the website of the car/van make that you plan to rent. Many of them have very helpful photos and dimentions pages. If that doesn't help, go to a car dealer that sells the type of vehicle and take a look.

Well it looks like I am going to be pricing out Mini-vans. :goodvibes
Thanks again everyone for your advice. Penny

I have a Ford Taurus and can fit in my ECV, which used to be a rental and some small additional luggage.

I would suggest trhat for both an ECV and wheelchair you look to a premium or luxury class rather than a minivan or SUV. This would be something similar to a Buick Lucerne or Cadillac CTS.

we had a full size car,and had room to spare,an intermediate will work...I really beleive a compact would also.

It would work if you rent a stow and go van from Alamo. You would rent a minivan then call there medical line 800 651 1223 and tell them you need a stow and go van or a seat removed, usually they will get the stow and go for you. those seats fold into the floor so you would put down the back seat into the floor then put your scooter parts and WC in it.

ALAMO at the airpot will remove or stow a back seat then a minimal break down of the EVC. Also, I had a code from on the transportation forum this server and got a Chevy uplander van for TOTAL $177 only two months old and had a DVD player in it.

If you are a another party just taking a EVC and wondering I rented a Nissan Sentra and did not have to break down a EVC, just lay down the steering handle. It fit on the trunk NO TIGHT FIT, was great. On the weekend rate from THurs to Monday AM, it was a total $55!!!!!

Just a bit of added news.
Also, the bus transportation to Magic Kingdom, IT mUch easier by resort bus then vehicle transportation. Epcot was not bad by vehicle, not sure of the others.
Dianne

can't believe I found this thread--I have a similar question. We are renting a minivan, but there are 7 of us. Will we have a problem fitting my ECV in the "trunk" area? I hadn't even thought of the fact that we won't be able to eliminate the 3rd row of seats to make room! We can take apart the ECV of course, but will it fit in that small back space?

Good Lord, I hope so! :eek:

Oh, and did I mention we leave this Monday??:scared1:

you want to see if you can get a "Grand" Caravan, "Grand Voyager" or a Chrysler Town and Country van. Those have a longer wheelbase and have a larger space behind the back seat.

We are reserved for a Chevy Uplander. I guess I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

:goodvibes Thanks for all the additional advice. Sorry I didn't post thanks earlier. I was in the hospital and just got out today. :sick: However, I am now bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to get back to making Disney Plans. :banana: :dance3: :yay: Thanks, Penny

We are reserved for a Chevy Uplander. I guess I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

We just had a Chevy uplander, it is a small minivan...the third row is ok with a 7th person a child sitting there. The wheel base is small so enough room for a stroller collapsed, and turned upside down and my walker folded. We would have made out better with a larger van like an Odysee, or gran Caravan. If you take off the batteries, handle, seat and place it sideways you can do it. At that point I say, take the buses. I never had to wait more then ten minutes, most buses are pull forard onto, no backing up, like on the lifts.

But again, the Uplander is very deceiving for size. If travleing with "4-6" I would take out a side seat and use that area too for storage.
ALamo, told us to go back and pick out a van, we found one that was put on the road in Sept with 1,600 miles on it and DVD player.

It will not be possible to lift the base of the ECV and place it in the rear compartment. Like I said it may fit sideways broken down.
Why not head to a car lot and look at one, or online.....
Sue is very right about the larger van...When they told us to take any van, I should have aked son to go back and see if we could take the ten passenger one..http://www.chevrolet.com/uplander/colors/
int_gallery01.jpg

dianne

I did exactly that! Checked out the Uplander online and realized it was gonna be VERY tight--probably too tight. So I called Avis and asked what else they had available. We are now requested for a Grand Caravan (if available), and if not, we will upgrade to a Suburban. It would be more $$$, but at least we will all fit!

We can't use Disney transportation because we are staying offsite (at Nickelodeon). I checked with them, and their shuttle bus will not accommodate a scooter, so we will have to drive.

I can't believe we are leaving in just 18 hours!!!! :scared1: Still so much to do to get ready...take the doggie to "boarding school", pack the last minute stuff (electronics, etc), take the kids' finished homework to the neighbors who are dropping it off to school tomorrow, showers, a good night's sleep, and the dozen things I just KNOW I am forgetting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter