Carbs at WDW

pxydst

Mouseketeer
I have never thought of my T1 a 'disability' (thanks mom), so I feel strange here! But thought someone here might be able to tell me if there is a place to look up how many carbs are in foods at WDW?? I do have calorie King on my phone but thought I would look before we go!

They do not have carb count. Your phone CalorieKing or SWAG (scientific wild a— guess ) or WAG (wild a—guess ) is the way to go. Also remember all the walking your be doing so guess less then you think you will need

@pxydst it's very doable. Though as a T2 I may not know all the challenges you face. I take my carb count pretty serious. I've spent a lot of time some time researching & reading all I can about staying low carb at WDW for our January trip.

As @gap2368 said there are not posted Carb counts by WDW. But the encouraging news is at at least for most of the table service restaurants many of the severs can assist you in changing the meal to reduce the carbs, you will probably have better luck at the hotels, but as a T1 I am sure you know what to be on the look out for. Since you can find the menus for all of the Disney restaurants online it's made a bit easier to pick and choose where to go and what to eat, but you will be guesstimating on the carbs none the less. Here was one persons view on a few restaurants and staying low carb, http://allears.net/din/low-carb-dining-tips.htm

I won't post all the links I've saved, but you can easily hit up google for terms like "disney world diabetes carb Atkins keto" - here is one link that might be very helpful though. http://allears.net/pl/diabetes.htm

WDW doesn't give out any nutritional information except for some loose guidelines for their Kids Mickey Check meals and I think Be Our Guest? Although I'm not 100% sure about that any more

It can't hurt to ask WDW directly; I would email them, and ask if they have updated the "allergies" book at each food service location to include information on carbs - From this page on Disney World's website: Special Dietary Requests

Metabolic Disorders and Multiple Allergies
Guests with the following concerns:

• Any allergy or intolerance not listed above under common food allergies
  • Phenylketonuria (PKU)
  • Metabolic disorders
  • A single Guest with 4 or more allergies/intolerances or multiple Guests with allergies/intolerances within the same party should contact Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com after booking dining arrangements for their visit and at least 14 days prior to their arrival:
Our team will assist you in navigating the dining process. Be sure to communicate your dietary restrictions upon arrival at the restaurant. You will have the opportunity to speak with a chef or special diets-trained Cast Member if desired. While our restaurants will do their best to accommodate dietary requirements, we cannot guarantee that they will be able to meet all requests.

My DS does the "best educated guess" theory of carb counting at WDW. As a previous poster already said, just be careful because your insulin needs most likely will change with all the activity. You sound like a seasoned T1 so I'm sure you will do fine "guesstimating". BTW your mom sounds awesome!!

Thanks to all. We have 75 days to go so I have time to check things out. And yes tinkerjo my mom is awesome! She managed me and my T1 45 years ago without all of this technology and I am here because of her! I am new to the insulin pump and watching what I eat now.... lots of fun!

I have never thought of my T1 a 'disability' (thanks mom), so I feel strange here! But thought someone here might be able to tell me if there is a place to look up how many carbs are in foods at WDW?? I do have calorie King on my phone but thought I would look before we go!

Doesn't it all depend on how much you eat, etc? Myself, I don't trust those places that actually have the calorie count - they can be off, based on who is in the kitchen cooking, serving, etc. When I've had to do counts (for a student, for my dad, for a project in college) I went by the ingredients and then a measurement of how much food was eaten. Do you have one of those collapsible cups for measuring volume? I am horrible at estimating, so would bring a cup to help out if I was doing a carb count. Also, test more often than normal - that seems to help when there's a lot going on, IMO.

WDW has ingredient lists, right?

WDW has ingredient lists, right?

Not that easily obtained for TS meals, and it won’t be measurements. And an ingredient list isn’t necessarily all that helpful for diabetic carb counting. I’ll venture out on a limb to say that most, if not all, people who have lived with diabetes and carb counts get really good at estimating portion sizes. When pretty much everything that goes into your mouth 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year it becomes second nature. Much like a professional chef can eyeball a measurement. My DD’s 13-yr-old friend does it herself, and calculates her insulin dose.

I do agree with you, though, about posted nutritional information not likely to be exact, especially for calorie counting.

OP - it sounds like you are well familiar with carb counts and have the resources for estimating. You’ll be fine. Take plenty of extra testing supplies, test often, and be prepared for unexpected lows. All the activity at WDW is very forgiving for extra treats!

Enjoy your vacation!

By ingredients, I really don't mean measurements, more like - do they use whole milk or cream, or skim milk? Do they use whole grain pasta or refined flour based ones - so if you know the base you can do the carb count.

I eat low carb due to IBD. I stick to protein and a few veggies. We tend to eat TS or at the lounges, can't go wrong with a charcuterie plate. I also eat breakfast in my room.

I just had my T2 diabetic BIL visit. He's really limiting his carbs right under doctor's orders. I found it relatively easy to cook for him with mostly lean proteins and vegetables. It's the eating out particularly QS that can be a challenge.

I can throw together a delicious vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, low carb or some variation thereof meal from scratch. It's not that difficult to produce a gourmet meal with dietary limitations. It's just often difficult to find a restaurant willing and able to do so and who will go beyond a steamed piece of fish, a chicken breast and steamed vegetables.

Unfortunately nope. My T1 brother had to just guess everything, and we actually did a pretty good job with it. I will say that we guessed 130 carbs for the funnel cake with ice cream and strawberries, and he had perfect sugar afterwards! That was unexpected :)

You'll probably find you're better at estimating than you think you are! (It's the adjusting for extra activity at WDW that poses the biggest challenge for me!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter