Caribbean Beach is a Dump!

MartyMouse

Earning My Ears
Caribbean Beach.....If you want no atmosphere and terrible food selections stay here. I knew coming in there was construction but this was the only moderate with an available room and I thought it can't be that bad... it's Disney! It was that bad. The tent set up for food was a joke. The truck with Disney souvenirs was a joke. The rooms turned into convenience stores another joke. We've stayed at Disney hotels a dozen or more times and this was by far the worst. Good Luck!

You might want to change your title a little bit, it sounds like your issue was actually with how they are dealing with the food/gift shop areas during the construction and not the room or the rest of the resort. Your title sounds more like the entire resort was falling apart. Changing the title might make it a little easier for others to decide if it's worth it to them. There will be some people who those particular areas don't matter but if the rooms were horrible or the pool or the grounds, it might make a difference. There will be others, like yourself, where those areas do make a difference. Personally, it wouldn't bother me because the only time we use the food court in a moderate is for breakfast and that is rare and there are so many other places to shop we rarely even step foot in the gift shops except to pick up packages we have shipped from the parks. Now if the room was crawling with roaches, full of mildew and had torn and dirty carpet that would make a difference.

Caribbean Beach.....If you want no atmosphere and terrible food selections stay here. I knew coming in there was construction but this was the only moderate with an available room and I thought it can't be that bad... it's Disney! It was that bad. The tent set up for food was a joke. The truck with Disney souvenirs was a joke. The rooms turned into convenience stores another joke. We've stayed at Disney hotels a dozen or more times and this was by far the worst. Good Luck!

You mentioned this was the only moderate available when you booked, was it a last minute booking? and "dump" is hardly an appropriate word for as the previous poster said disney's way of dealing with massive construction going on at that resort and has been since May. That being said, we stayed in April before the construction began and although did not like how huge that resort itself was we found everything else to be on par with other moderates. the room was great, the pools were awesome, the grounds were beautiful and the busses ran pretty regular. and the options at the food court that was still open were pretty good. but "dump" is pretty extreme, j/s.

Folks, just because you don't like the fact the OP used the term "dump" doesn't mean he needs to change his wording. It is his opinion and up to him to decide what wording is appropriate if it doesn't break the rules of the board, right? Personally, I think it is a helpful description for people who may be trying to decide whether they want to brave the construction zone or stay elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective. This does sound much more extreme than the usual WDW construction issues, and it's good for potential guests to know what it's currently like.

Folks, just because you don't like the fact the OP used the term "dump" doesn't mean he needs to change his wording. It is his opinion and up to him to decide what wording is appropriate if it doesn't break the rules of the board, right? Personally, I think it is a helpful description for people who may be trying to decide whether they want to brave the construction zone or stay elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective. This does sound much more extreme than the usual WDW construction issues, and it's good for potential guests to know what it's currently like.
While you are right he can use whatever word he wants, does the word "dump" accurately portray the state of the resort to those who haven't seen it?
Be honest, when you see the word "dump" to describe a property (anywhere, not just at Disney) what do you picture in your mind?
Is it a tent for food and a trailer for drinks or store, while not ideal, fully intact and not in any way shabby or falling apart?
Just might it be a bit of hyperbole? Might there be a better phrase to use to be more accurate to describe it to those who haven't seen it?

While you are right he can use whatever word he wants, does the word "dump" accurately portray the state of the resort to those who haven't seen it?
Be honest, when you see the word "dump" to describe a property (anywhere, not just at Disney) what do you picture in your mind?
Is it a tent for food and a trailer for drinks or store, while not ideal, fully intact and not in any way shabby or falling apart?
Just might it be a bit of hyperbole? Might there be a better phrase to use to be more accurate to describe it to those who haven't seen it?
People use hyperbole all of the time on the boards. "I'd rather gouge my eyeballs out than go to WDW in summer" is one recent example I've read.

When I hear the word "dump" applied to a hotel, I imagine a not-appealing place where I would not want to stay. When I imagine staying at a WDW resort, even one under construction, I never imagine myself getting food from a tent or souvenirs from the back of a truck. That is pretty dumpy imo. I wouldn't stay there with the current construction, which sounds much more intrusive to the resort than any other WDW construction I've ever seen (probably why Disney has offered a special discount for it), and other Disers who might be considering taking that discount have a right to know what the current conditions are. The OP's post describes those conditions pretty effectively.

Last edited:
People use hyperbole all of the time on the boards. "I'd rather gouge my eyeballs out than go to WDW in summer" is one recent example I've read.

When I hear the word "dump" applied to a hotel, I imagine a not-appealing place where I would not want to stay. When I imagine staying at a WDW resort, even one under construction, I never imagine myself getting food from a tent or souvenirs from the back of a truck. That is pretty dumpy imo. I wouldn't stay there with the current construction, which sounds much more intrusive to the resort than any other WDW construction I've ever seen (probably why Disney has offered a special discount for it), and other Disers who might be considering taking that discount have a right to know what the current conditions are. The OP's post describes those conditions pretty effectively.

It was well known ahead of time what Disney was going to be offering in place of the closed food options. And no, I wouldn't call a food truck dumpy at all. A dump sounds like a place where the toilet runs all the time, the bed sheets are stained, and roaches are running rampant. Over-exaggerating the problem in no way makes people feel compassion for the OP, nor does it help other posters who want a clear idea of what is going on.

I wouldn't have booked CBR while all of this construction is going on, but it wasn't hidden from anyone.

When I hear the word "dump" applied to a hotel, I imagine a not-appealing place where I would not want to stay. When I imagine staying at a WDW resort, even one under construction, I never imagine myself getting food from a tent or souvenirs from the back of a truck. That is pretty dumpy imo. I wouldn't stay there with the current construction, which sounds much more intrusive to the resort than any other WDW construction I've ever seen (probably why Disney has offered a special discount for it), and other Disers who might be considering taking that discount have a right to know what the current conditions are. The OPs post describes that pretty effectively.
Then the better idea would be to actually look at it with their own eyes by looking at one of the many construction update videos out there

Not perfect but doesn't look dumpy to me but what do I know

It was well known ahead of time what Disney was going to be offering in place of the closed food options.
That may or may not be true, but the OP described those options as being very poor in quality, which is good info to share. I feel compassion for the OP, who has every right to vent about an unpleasant situation.

You don't have to agree. I don't agree when some posters say the WDW monorail is hot, stinky & perilous, but I just state my differing opinion and move on. Moving on right now...

Last edited:
People seem to think that everyone knew all the details when they booked. That just isn't true. There are plenty of people, probably most people who are not on this site 24/7. When I booked I saw that there was construction, but I never imagined it would be every food place at the whole resort.

If he thought it was a dump, then it was...to him. If his hyperbole causes someone considering the resort to reconsider or, better yet, research further to ensure they know what they are getting into then that's a good thing.

Okay. I watched the first construction video.

Um...it's pretty bad! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I agree, people who think it won't be bad should probably research the videos.

And there is no need for anyone to take my (or anyone else's) opinion personally, unless you had a hand in the design. ;)
:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter