Caribbean Beach is a Dump!

I think whether you're satisfied or disappointed in CBR depends on what you're going there for. We decided to book a couple of days there in September when they announced the $75 gift cards. With that plus the AP rate, it's a really good deal. It enabled us to stay an entire week instead of 4-5 days. We booked there as part of a split stay, with most of our time at the Polynesian. We have planned all of our "lounging around the resort" days for the Poly, and the couple of days we'll be at CBR, we will be at Epcot doing Food & Wine stuff all day. By the time we get back to the room at night, I doubt we'll want to eat anything, so we couldn't care less about the food tent. (Except we may actually check out that inexpensive but apparently really good breakfast buffet on our way out one morning.) So as long as the room is clean and has electricity, I'm good. I can understand how someone might be upset though, if they had planned on spending a lot of time at the resort. I think you have to take that into consideration when deciding whether to book there during construction or not.

Also, I have stayed at All Star Sports, which I have heard a lot of people call the worst Disney resort. To me, it was fine. It was nothing special, but there was nothing wrong with it. It was, again, during a weekend when we had lots of other stuff planned and didn't spend much time there, and again got a really good rate. But it was clean and had everything we needed. If that's the worst, I think I'll be ok.

Caribbean Beach.....If you want no atmosphere and terrible food selections stay here. I knew coming in there was construction but this was the only moderate with an available room and I thought it can't be that bad... it's Disney! It was that bad. The tent set up for food was a joke. The truck with Disney souvenirs was a joke. The rooms turned into convenience stores another joke. We've stayed at Disney hotels a dozen or more times and this was by far the worst. Good Luck!

Well now you know to go back to one of the other resorts since you don't like this one. Hope you have a better trip next time.

I was originally booked at CBR with no concerns about construction. We've only done value resorts and AKL, so I thought trying a mod would be a new adventure. My rate per night average was $161 with the discount code which I thought reasonable. Then I heard rumors of the gift card and then I was like HECK YEAH lol! The video bursted my gift card bubble and then when I realized I could get POR for $15 more a night I decided to switch. I would definitely stay at a resort during construction. I just feel in this instance, it's a little too much construction for the price.

Believe it or not, we pay more for drinks at our local fair/music festival (in food trucks) than we do at the drink truck (or anywhere else) at Disney. Disney is a bargain compared to what we pay.

I'm not sure how what a drink is served in should change the price.

Just read through this thread, plenty are mad. Plenty are understanding too because we've been there and realized it was just fine.

The food truck thing makes me laugh, because around here people love food trucks. At least this one is near the tent, there is an air conditioned place to eat it. In our small-ish midwestern town, people were lined up to pay $3 for a flavored lemonade and $5 for fries from the food truck! Then you sit in a parking lot or take your not packaged to-go food somewhere else, and it's always crazy busy.

Last edited:

The food truck thing makes me laugh, because around here people love food trucks. At least for ones near the tent, there is an air conditioned place to eat it. In our small-ish midwestern town, people were lined up to pay $3 for a flavored lemonade and $5 for fries from the food truck! Then you sit in a parking lot or take your not packaged to-go food somewhere else, and it's always crazy busy.
That's so true. Food Trucks are huge around here too. We have a group that gathers 1 day a week downtown and you have no where to go eat, just standing around holding the food/drinks. And you pay a premium for the stuff, that's for sure. Now, the few times I've tried something it's always been good and worth it but it is a pain to eat

Yes, emails were sent out to guests with reservations in early March, mine was dated March 7th (I believe) informing us of the construction work and gift card offer. I have sent hat some who booked through TA did not receive the notification. I don't know if it's a matter that their TA failed to forward the communication or if they legitimately did not receive it. Agreed that at this point it is common knowledge. It's posted on their website as well as various fansites across the internet.

We booked through a TA, and received our email directly through Disney, as well as separate communication from our TA as well explaining what would be happening to the resort, and did we wish to be moved somewhere else.

That's so true. Food Trucks are huge around here too. We have a group that gathers 1 day a week downtown and you have no where to go eat, just standing around holding the food/drinks. And you pay a premium for the stuff, that's for sure. Now, the few times I've tried something it's always been good and worth it but it is a pain to eat

In my hometown too! We had to fight to be allowed food trucks in the downtown area. So when people think they are dumpy, it makes me laugh.

Here's the jist of the entire situation, as I see it--Disney can do better. They can charge less than they currently are for CBR AND they can continue to give the $75 gift card if people choose to stay at CBR. Until CBR's food options are back up to standard, the resort is indeed in my mind a Value resort and I personally would not pay around $200/night rack rate for the room when I can stay at Port Orleans Riverside for $10 more per night and have all the amenities that are supposed to be available to people who stay at a moderate resort AND have boat transportation to Disney Springs.

Here's the jist of the entire situation, as I see it--Disney can do better. They can charge less than they currently are for CBR AND they can continue to give the $75 gift card if people choose to stay at CBR. Until CBR's food options are back up to standard, the resort is indeed in my mind a Value resort and I personally would not pay around $200/night rack rate for the room when I can stay at Port Orleans Riverside for $10 more per night and have all the amenities that are supposed to be available to people who stay at a moderate resort AND have boat transportation to Disney Springs.
Nor would I. Who pays rack rate at Disney? Surely no one

Does anyone have any idea when some of the food places may start to reopen ? Next June one party in our group may be looking for a 5 person room. The construction doesnt bother us since we are in the parks from open to close, but having a decent place at the resort to eat breakfast might be nice.

Does anyone have any idea when some of the food places may start to reopen ? Next June one party in our group may be looking for a 5 person room. The construction doesnt bother us since we are in the parks from open to close, but having a decent place at the resort to eat breakfast might be nice.
Similarly, I'm booked for 2 weeks in April with my partner. Most, if not all of our eating will be elsewhere but I'd still like an idea of how much might be reopened by the time we arrive.

I don't agree that the resort is equal to a value. You still have queen sized beds. You still have a better themed pool with a slide. You still have a hot tub. You still have bus stops that have seating and cover over them. You have bus stops at the parks that are closer to the gates than the values.

Staying at CBR in two weeks. I am not worried about the construction and honestly, the only reason we are going to Disney is because of how cheap we were able to make it. Usually, for us to stay 7 days it would cost us at least 6,000 dollars. We are going this trip for $3,200 PLUS $500 back in gift cards (which should pay for all of our meals in the park)

We are waking up for rope drop anyway so the noise won't bother us. We may go to the pool once on our trip and we won't eat at the resort. We will bring snacks for breakfast and lunch and do most of our eating at the park or by driving to a nearby place because of our car.

Would I enjoy a cheaper price? Sure but that 75 dollar gift card more than makes up for it in my mind.

I am! :) Couldn't get a discount this year for late October - absolute zilch at Polynesian.
No big deal, I wouldn't have booked it if I couldn't afford rack rate.

People with free dining.

They're still not paying the rack price for “room only” + “dining plan”.

All Disney's marketing goal is to make you spend more of your vacation dollars, hopefully in return for better service and greatest memories. As mush as nobody is probaby paying full price, nobody is going to refuse a nice discount!

They're still not paying the rack price for “room only” + “dining plan”.

All Disney's marketing goal is to make you spend more of your vacation dollars, hopefully in return for better service and greatest memories. As mush as nobody is probaby paying full price, nobody is going to refuse a nice discount!

Someone asked who pays rack rate. So I answered. Tons of people are willing to pay rack rate in expensive room categories at Deluxe resorts in order to take advantage of free dining.

Believe me, I'm not knocking it. Free dining is an awesome promotion for many. :)

:blush: I did! But only once. A room popped up at Wilderness Lodge this December, which had been booked solid, and I grabbed it. No chance of any discounts for that one I'm sure! The only discount will be our hearts filled with holiday joy! :santa:

Oh, and to stick on topic, Wilderness Lodge is not a dump. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter