Carnival Cruise Legend -- Fight Breaks Out

If one wealthy family member pays for several other members, then everyone else doesn't have to be gainfully employed. You could have a generous benefactor paying the way for a bunch of derelicts.
I wasn't talking about what was theoretically possible, but about what typically happens.

Agreed.

In the one hand, of course the bullet can’t end up behind you if you’re firing in a certain direction. But you don’t get to tell the bullet to stop once it hits the person you’re aiming for.

And on the other hand, depending on where you shoot it can end up nearly anywhere. When my mom lived in Miami, after any big celebration there was always some report of someone being hit by a bullet as it came down to earth after being shot up into the air...
My uncle's sister was killed that way... in Miami. She heard something, got up to see what was going on and a bullet from another street over came down into her head. Horrible. I wish people would think before getting out their guns.

Agree! I know plenty of trashy rich folks who are trouble. Affordablitity also has nothing to do with what job one has. Just ask the guy in our town who once drove a ferrari before his drug conviction. Who did 15 and now has a mercedes. I can also picture a brawl starting on DCL. Ex a mom flipping out as BBB is booked and therefore her darling princess’s cruise is no longer magical . Stuff happens evertwhere. I work for an airline. We deal with more rowdy drunks in biz and first.

Adding to this -- when I worked in an amusement park local to my place of birth, I was very fortunate not to be working the day they invited a bunch of politicians and their aids to come in from a big convention happening in town. Apparently a bunch of them got completely trashed and were being belligerent, throwing up on rides because they were so drunk, etc. I know that the problems on the Carnival cruise weren't caused by alcohol; I'm just offering another example of gainfully employed people engaging in "trashy" behavior.

As for the events on the cruise...it does sound like their security guards weren't adequately trained or equipped to deal with this. What's really troubling to me, though, is that (as per another article I found about it) other passengers brought complaints to the captain for days before the 23 were ultimately evicted from the ship and got replies like "what do you want me to do, throw them overboard?"

I get that in an enclosed environment like a cruise ship it's difficult to address these kinds of problems, but if they were really being so disruptive that people felt unsafe being out on the open decks, the captain should have brought the ship into port and kicked them all off much sooner, before it turned into a big brawl. If I were one of the passengers on the ship, my confidence in their crews' ability to handle unexpected problems would be pretty badly shaken and I don't know that I'd be keen to book another Carnival cruise even at a 25% discount.

I really am curious to learn more about this family and their dynamics. Were they some bad *** mafioso types??? What kind of family as a herd is so threatening??

FRom an Australian cruise board.

“The ships own spokesperson on Ch 7 news said they had received many complaints each day including from the medical team who had to stitch up skulls multiple days in a row. She said it was "unprecedented for them to remove an entire family as a last resort". She also said they would be looking in to their own processes that let it escalate that far.“

I can also picture a brawl starting on DCL.

Not only can I picture it, I've witnessed it first hand. Was it as bad as this one? No, not even close. However, one night on the Fantasy there were two extremely drunk guys shouting and cursing at each other - dropping F bombs right and left. Their companions were yelling at them to stop, you get the picture - pretty much chaos right next to the elevators in front of a lot of little kids. At one point they did start pushing and shoving each other and that's when DCL CM's stepped in and security was called. So yes, this could happen on Disney. It can happen anywhere you have a large group of people in a contained space.

As for the poster claiming people that can afford Disney cruises wouldn't act like that :sad2: , remember the video of the woman throwing a fit in the middle of the airport because their flight was delayed and they were going to miss their Disney cruise? Yeah, that was classy!

Last edited:
OMG!! that poor employee. She did great though. I work for an airline, not in a customer service position. sometimes we really do not know what is coming on.. Especially weather related. Maybe the inbound was still scheduled and then cancelled. Airlines don't toy with passengers and withhold information for fun.. If they have no information they cannot give any information.. and sometimes information changes.. Could be the plane got in and then the de-icer hit the wing and damaged it.. That happened to me once..

those poor kids....

What I really don't understand is why nothing was done before the major brawl broke out. Apparently there were earlier incidents of violence. They should have been dealt with. I know there have been cases where a passenger is confined to their cabin with a guard outside on cruises. I can't say for sure which cruise lines. It seems to me this should have taken place. It's easy to second guess the situation just sitting here, but it sounds like basically nothing was done, except for some talking, until the big brawl.

To those who say this would not happen on a line like DCL. Please think again. We had late dinner on a DCL cruise and found out that a big fist fight had broken out during the early dinner in the dining room. Also I've encountered several screaming matches between couples and other family members in the stateroom hallways or out on deck.

An idiot is an idiot no matter employment status or bank account balance.

To those who say this would not happen on a line like DCL. Please think again. We had late dinner on a DCL cruise and found out that a big fist fight had broken out during the early dinner in the dining room. Also I've encountered several screaming matches between couples and other family members in the stateroom hallways or out on deck.

An idiot is an idiot no matter employment status or bank account balance.

I wasn't stating this wouldn't happen on DCL. I would just like to believe DCL would have gotten this under control faster. If the Carnival ship's med team is stitching up head cuts on a daily basis, trouble seems to have been brewing for days on end on this ship.

Not only can I picture it, I've witnessed it first hand. Was it as bad as this one? No, not even close. However, one night on the Fantasy there were two extremely drunk guys shouting and cursing at each other - dropping F bombs right and left. Their companions were yelling at them to stop, you get the picture - pretty much chaos right next to the elevators in front of a lot of little kids. At one point they did start pushing and shoving each other and that's when DCL CM's stepped in and security was called. So yes, this could happen on Disney. It can happen anywhere you have a large group of people in a contained space.

As for the poster claiming people that can afford Disney cruises wouldn't act like that :sad2: , remember the video of the woman throwing a fit in the middle of the airport because their flight was delayed and they were going to miss their Disney cruise? Yeah, that was classy!

How charming! (not!)

This is not a cruise issue, it's an idiot issue. Obviously this family are idiots and would have caused trouble anywhere they went.

I don't know about the handling of the situation by the ship staff though - the video I've seen where security and laying the boot in... that's not a good look. And they never should have been allowed to carry on for three days before being stopped. You can guarantee that every cruise line - especially the ones sailing out of Australia - are reviewing their policies at the moment and putting in a zero-tolerance process due to the bad publicity.

hate to post speculation but the British Press usually get it correct.. It the story is true then we have another case of the "entitled" rich acting badly. They seem a bit mafiaso.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5405103/Barkho-family-Carnival-Cruise-fight.html

read the article comments... funny and one person states that some members have records

LOL!! You mean they aren't jobless trash? :rolleyes: Looks like they could have easily booked a DCL cruise or one of the true lux lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts