Carnival Cruise Legend -- Fight Breaks Out

On our DCL Iceland cruise two families were going at it. I think they were European. No punches thrown, but security did have to referee. I personally would never travel with extended family. Too much drama. On our Alaska cruise while I was eating lunch I listened to one family go on and on complaining about another family member who was on the cruise. I was eating alone. I'll admit it was entertaining and pretty salacious. It did make eating alone more interesting.

I have no desire to travel with any people outside of my nuclear family, and sometimes I like traveling with them separately.

There goes Shanti's sterotype.
Though these type in the pictures make me wonder not if they are gainfully employed but employed in legal industries. They have that shady, working but not paying taxes look. Kwim?

23 members of the same family were kicked off the ship in Australia.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...-off-the-carnival-cruise-from-hell/ar-BBJe5Ad
I'm in Australia, 9 were removed and the other 14 went voluntary with them, they had to make their own arrangements back to Melbourne where they live, they were Aussies of Italian heritage. The passengers on the ship were offered a 25 percent discount on a future cruise, which they are not happy about. The Carnival cruises over here are very popular with families, they are not classed as what you say "party cruises" like in America, they don't even offer drinks packages, apart from soft drinks. The drinks are more expensive that what we would pay in a bar here. I have been on 2 Carnival cruises around the Pacific Islands with no problems. IMHO, this was just a bunch of loud mouthed , obnoxious a holes that think it's their right to behave like this, I am sure we have all encountered people like this, but probably not in a group this large.
As for security having guns, no thankyou! We as a country have weeded out guns, of course there are guns, but mainly bikies of European origin getting them on the black market, and then they only shoot other bikies, all about drugs, ridiculous. I would not go on a cruise if I knew there were guns carried by security, no way.
Carnival did not handle the situation very well, but not sure what they could have done apart from lock them all in their cabins, they probably would have demolished them, bit hard to say really as they were out in the Pacific Ocean when it started, not many places to dock a ocean liner at .

In the one hand, of course the bullet can’t end up behind you if you’re firing in a certain direction. But you don’t get to tell the bullet to stop once it hits the person you’re aiming for.

And on the other hand, depending on where you shoot it can end up nearly anywhere. When my mom lived in Miami, after any big celebration there was always some report of someone being hit by a bullet as it came down to earth after being shot up into the air...

Obviously, if someone is being irresponsible enough to fire up in the air, it can end up anywhere. But that's not the situation I'm referring to. I'm referring to highly trained armed security. The law enforcement officers and skilled shooters I know have a healthy respect for the power of their firearms and consider what's around and behind their targets.

Yeah silly, bullets end up in innocent school children and wild boars, fire arm educate yourselves sheeple!

Ummm....:confused3 Have I missed reports of trained security guards shooting up schools?

My main concern is with terrorism, not with drunk jerks. While I know security at ports has been severely tightened to prevent terrorists from attacking cruise ships, there have been plots against cruise ships that have been thwarted and what if security misses something? What if people working at a port are radicalized and participate in a plot to get armed terrorists on board a ship? Consider something like the 2008 Mumbai hotel attacks occurring on a ship and the crew has no weapons with which to defend the passengers. I'd much rather there be arms stored on board in a locked armory and security trained to repel an attack. My understanding is there has been discussion of armed "sea marshals" on cruise ships, similar to air marshals on planes. I just don't think it's a bad idea.

I know it's easy to sit and arm-chair quarter-back like I'm doing. That being said, I can understand the frustration of the security people. They are being attacked, as well as guests they are trying to help, and there's only so many of them. They don't have more reinforcements to call in. Plus, how many times are they actually called upon to handle a situation like this and what kind of training do they have? I would be completely overwhelmed. I imagine they know how to handle one or two belligerent drunks, but a whole group of fighting people?

I'm just glad I've never been near a situation like this. I understand the whole cruise there were incidents of threats and actual violence. It seems the perpetrators should have been under lock and key before it escalated to this point.

I agree. Also, it was a large group of people. It's hard enough to break a fight without having to push away other family members trying to get involved.

I'm sure this incident will create new rules and protocols.

I do not believe that this could have happened on DCL or Crystal. People who behave this way don't tend to be able to hold down jobs that pay enough for cruises on the more expensive lines.

With all due respect, I have to remind you that there are violent people in every spheres of the society. Behavior and income are independant from each other.

Also, FYI, I have witnessed violent behavior in WDW and disruptive behavior on DCL.

Plus, expensive cruises have been used by passengers for drug trades in the past. There is a story who has been making headlines in Canada for a few months regarding two young women arrested in Australia.

Last edited:
I'm in Australia, 9 were removed and the other 14 went voluntary with them, they had to make their own arrangements back to Melbourne where they live, they were Aussies of Italian heritage. The passengers on the ship were offered a 25 percent discount on a future cruise, which they are not happy about. The Carnival cruises over here are very popular with families, they are not classed as what you say "party cruises" like in America, they don't even offer drinks packages, apart from soft drinks. The drinks are more expensive that what we would pay in a bar here. I have been on 2 Carnival cruises around the Pacific Islands with no problems. IMHO, this was just a bunch of loud mouthed , obnoxious a holes that think it's their right to behave like this, I am sure we have all encountered people like this, but probably not in a group this large.
As for security having guns, no thankyou! We as a country have weeded out guns, of course there are guns, but mainly bikies of European origin getting them on the black market, and then they only shoot other bikies, all about drugs, ridiculous. I would not go on a cruise if I knew there were guns carried by security, no way.
Carnival did not handle the situation very well, but not sure what they could have done apart from lock them all in their cabins, they probably would have demolished them, bit hard to say really as they were out in the Pacific Ocean when it started, not many places to dock a ocean liner at .

This was my theory: That they were most likely in the middle of the ocean and that was the reason why they were not kicked out earlier.

Thank you for sharing some true perspective of the incident and what Carnival in Australia is like. I hope to be able to come visit your beautiful country some day.

An idiot is an idiot no matter employment status or bank account balance.

^ This. Although I would use a harsher word than “idiot”.

I, too, really don’t understand the stereotype of “high-income earners are better-mannered people”.

If we are going by “life experiences”, then I will share mine:

Having grown up on one side of that economic fence, and now living on the other, I will say that some - some - of the ugliest, most miserable excuses for human beings I have ever met - racist, misogynistic, arrogant and self-entitled bullies - are fellow “one-percenters” who could drop $20k on a Disney cruise without batting an eye.

Further, while these people know they can’t get away with that s**t at work, they are all the more disgusting when on vacation and not interacting with their managers, colleagues or peers.

To paraphrase Malcolm Forbes, you can quickly judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

This isn’t to say well-off people are all trash at heart. Some of the wealthiest people I’ve ever met are some of the kindest and most considerate, too.

I’m just echoing what @keaster said - income’s got nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

I heard Carnival did have some of the passengers locked in their cabins. Even if the unruly passengers demolished their rooms, repairs would've been cheaper than to inconvenience 2000 other guests and have to offer them a 25% discount on a future cruise. Wonder how many of those guests are too disgusted to ever cruise again, especially with Carnival.

BTW, we cruised from Australia and around New Zealand (on Celebrity) and thought the Australians were very well behaved cordial passengers. One of the biggest snobs I've met on a cruise was a woman on DCL.

Turns out they were actually Lebanese heritage not Italian!

Turns out they were actually Lebanese heritage not Italian!
Not quite. According to news.com.au (a NewsCorp site)

News.com.au can reveal the group at the centre of the Carnival Legend drama was in fact three families comprising a large extended Italian family group with two sets of Italian grandparents, a Lebanese-Australian son-in-law and one Assyrian Australian friend.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...s/news-story/f22bf0d8e318e41bf572744653ab5eda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter