Carnival question

gumbypee

DIS Veteran
eek I might take a short carnival cruise because they are so cheap-anyone know their alcohol policy or if they have packages? My friend likes her drinks :)

Thanks

Yes they do ..... two major points about packages .... everyone in the cabin must book the package even if a non-drinker and there is a 15 drink limit per 24 hours. That may seem like plenty but for a bigger guy who just drinks beer, or if you like frozen drinks but they melt fast and you want replaced ... anyway for some it's perfect but for us (especially since our cabin will have an adult non-drinker who will be forced to pay for it) we will not be cruising on Carnival.

Read the program ...

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

Here is their Alcohol Policy ...

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

Well poo to that! I don't want to buy the package! Thank you so much HopperFan, I couldn't locate that info on my phone

Well poo to that! I don't want to buy the package! Thank you so much HopperFan, I couldn't locate that info on my phone

We just finished process of booking another big group cruise and we had thoughts of looking to a new line for this. Most of us want a drink package. After researching for weeks and getting emails responded to ........ RCI is only one that will allow DH and I to book drink package but DS not. (he is a disabled adult and does not drink but no one would waiver him).

how odd that they would not waiver him! Well it is an odd rule to make everyone order drink package in room too. but i might convince my friend to not get package b/c we just want a quickie cruise

how odd that they would not waiver him! Well it is an odd rule to make everyone order drink package in room too. but i might convince my friend to not get package b/c we just want a quickie cruise
I think it's to dissuade people from buying one package and trying to share.

I think it's to dissuade people from buying one package and trying to share.
Which is when a punch-card offer is a good way to go. RCCL was offering a 10 drink package for $79. A little bit of a saving for light drinkers and/or sharers.

Which is when a punch-card offer is a good way to go. RCCL was offering a 10 drink package for $79. A little bit of a saving for light drinkers and/or sharers.
They had the card on my last cruise. Unfortunately you never know when or if they're going to offer the card.

They had the card on my last cruise. Unfortunately you never know when or if they're going to offer the card.
I think more and more you'll find they'll offer anything anybody will be ready to pay for. :rolleyes: Sad to say that the Promenade and foyer to the WJ felt practically like a straw market last week with all the persistent hawkers. I hated it.

I think more and more you'll find they'll offer anything anybody will be ready to pay for. :rolleyes: Sad to say that the Promenade and foyer to the WJ felt practically like a straw market last week with all the persistent hawkers. I hated it.
It's funny how that varies from ship and cruise to cruise. It hasn't been too bad on my last 2 cruises, both of which were on IOS. Our next cruise is on Oasis.

It's funny how that varies from ship and cruise to cruise. It hasn't been too bad on my last 2 cruises, both of which were on IOS. Our next cruise is on Oasis.
I've not ever noticed it before in quite this way; where they didn't take a polite "no" for an answer but just kept coming. It was a little shocking, really. And the pitches are all for liquor and/or dining packages. There must be HUGE margin in those. They've even got the regular waiters trying to sell dining packages in the MDR but suggesting how much better the food in the specialty venues is than what you're about to be served...:laughing:

I've not ever noticed it before in quite this way; where they didn't take a polite "no" for an answer but just kept coming. It was a little shocking, really. And the pitches are all for liquor and/or dining packages. There must be HUGE margin in those. They've even got the regular waiters trying to sell dining packages in the MDR but suggesting how much better the food in the specialty venues is than what you're about to be served...:laughing:

Wow. I've seen a number of people complaining on cruise critic. Thankfully I've never experienced that. I've read about hard selling specialty restaurants while people were in line for the MDR. I've never seen anything like that. There were tables set up for dink packages, but they didn't even say anything unless you walked up to them. I only knew about the punch card because there was insert in the Compass.

While I'm not a big drinker and don't take the package, I think it's probably the most affordable package (56$/pp per day) I've seen if I compare to other cruise lines. Also, you can use it for sodas and specialty coffee if you are into that.

What DH and I do is investing some money in Cruise Cash Bar gift cards (it's on board credit) based of the number of drinks we're most likely going to drink per day. Ex: If we believe that we are going to drink for about 150$/ each of alcohol or specialty coffee... We buy 300$ in cruise cash instead of taking the 780$ package.

Just an FYI for those interested. RCI and Carnival gift cards can be purchased at a 10% discount when using both Allstate and AARP rewards websites. We've used them to pay for our entire Carnival cruise fare and will also be loading them onto our on-ship accounts for purchases made while on board. I'm sure many people already knew about this but just throwing it out there for anyone that didn't. Easy 10% savings that adds up to hundreds of dollars off.

I've read that RCI gift cards come with more restrictions than Carnival. For anyone sailing RCI, I would suggest researching before purchasing RCI GCs to make sure they will suit your needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter